Author Topic: Sushi, yes or no?  (Read 10444 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Sushi, yes or no?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »
No.

I've been bullied into trying it twice now. I will not be bullied again.

I also almost barfed lox all over a really fancy restaurant when I tried that.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that comes out of the ocean needs to be thoroughly cooks and served hot. The only seafood I'll eat cold is cocktail shrimp smothered in cocktail sauce, and even that I don't do much.

Racist
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Racist

But eating raw fish is cultural appropriation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 06:33:53 AM »

Someday, someone is going to have to explain cultural appropriation to me.  I swear, back in the day we called it appreciation, not appropriation.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »

Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Cultural appropriation would be if you, a lily white European American cis normal racist bastard, were to actually learn to make your own sushi. Then you'd be worse than Hitler.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »
Someday, someone is going to have to explain cultural appropriation to me.  I swear, back in the day we called it appreciation, not appropriation.
It is just a new way for democrats to encourage segregation.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »

Cultural appropriation would be if you, a lily white European American cis normal racist bastard, were to actually learn to make your own sushi. Then you'd be worse than literally Hitler.

Oh, crap.  I bought a little bamboo rolling mat and some seaweed wrappers, and learned how to make sushi rice a few years ago.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 09:45:01 AM »

Oh, crap.  I bought a little bamboo rolling mat and some seaweed wrappers, and learned how to make sushi rice a few years ago.

YOU BASTARD!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »

Cultural appropriation would be if you, a lily white European American cis normal racist bastard, were to actually learn to make your own sushi. Then you'd be worse than Hitler.

It's not as if there are rules to this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
You repressor bastard!

The rules are exactly what the left says they are!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cordex

• Administrator
Re:
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
Until they arbitrarily change them!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re:
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
You repressor bastard!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Until they arbitrarily change them!

I thought they were what everyone is expected to follow but the left.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
Love it, but with limits. The chewy bits are out, no octopus or squid. When I was a kid my aunt made traditional rolls to keep her Japanese husband fed, still like them, nori, rice, pickled vegetables, no dead fish. Pretty sure I was the only kid up in hillfolk public school with a pack of nori. We just distributed it at recess and pretended it was tobacco.

In a similar food vein one of my favorite snacks is dried cuttlefish, hard to find. Plenty in Guam, but not the big draw. The jap tourists spend metric buttloads of cash on American delicacies like beef jerky and spam. None of which they could take home, so I guess party in the hotel room.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 04:57:53 AM »
Though in Santa Barbara, there was also the option of sushi hole in the walls that made just as good of stuff as the sit down places for much less. I used to go to one at the harbor once a week or so that was run by Koreans, ~$10 for a lunch special that filled you up.

I remember reading that before WWII, Japanese and their bentos(packed lunch) and Yatais(food carts) were able to provide healthier, tastier, and cheaper food in places like SanFran than their American counterparts with more traditional american foods.  A lot of it was that they didn't have a lot of heavily processed foods, making it cheaper as long as it could be fresh.

I know it's not the best, but I find one of the trays of "spicy roll" sushi hits the spot, isn't very expensive, and is really fast.  The "california roll" was developed in SanFran to better suit American tastes.  Etc...

Different tastes for different folks, I guess.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:59 AM »
I've liked almost every type of sushi and sashimi that I have tried.  Even had whale sushi and horse sushi on one of my business trips to Japan years back.  Both were good.
Ama ebi with the fried shrimp head is one of my favorites, as is saba, or mackerel. Saba is typically lightly marinated in vinegar.
Maguro, or tuna sushi is quite good, especially if it is the fatty tuna kind. 
The only sushi I don't like is any that contains natto, a fermented soy paste.  Nasty stuff.
If you're ever near Hillsboro, OR, try Syun Izakaya.  It's a family owned traditional Japanese pub-style or izakaya restaurant.  It used to be owned by a Japanese family. Don't know if it still is, but it's still a great place for sushi, sashimi, and great Japanese bar food. I took my #2 son there for lunch back in May when I was in town visiting.
My former Japanese coworkers said it was the best Japanese restaurant they had found in America.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2017, 07:07:59 AM »
"Ama ebi with the fried shrimp head is one of my favorites..."

Drool!

Some years ago the woman I was dating and I went to an Asian bistro. She had spent time in the Peace Corps in Africa, so she was used to eating some strange stuff.

I asked for a bowl of tempura sweet shrimp heads. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a horrified look on the face of one of the women at the next table.

When they brought the bowl out she hitched twice and fled her group.  :lol:

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »
I will eat just about anything once if people around me are eating it and not dropping dead. I don’t normally bother with Sushi or Rolls anymore except when I’m sharing with others; just give me the Sashimi. I won’t eat Sea Urchin anymore; tried and tried, but I just don’t like it. Pretty everything else on the menu at a Sushi place is fair game.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
I will eat just about anything once if people around me are eating it and not dropping dead. I don’t normally bother with Sushi or Rolls anymore except when I’m sharing with others; just give me the Sashimi. I won’t eat Sea Urchin anymore; tried and tried, but I just don’t like it. Pretty everything else on the menu at a Sushi place is fair game.

Sea Urchin, or Uni, is difficult for a lot of folks, whether it's the taste, texture, or both. For some it's an acquired taste.  Freshness is very important for the fish in sushi, and especially so with uni.  If it's not fresh, it can be very off-putting.
I like uni myself, though it took a time or two eating it to get past the texture. Now I don't even think about it.  I have uni almost every time I go to a decent sushi restaurant.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
Sea Urchin, or Uni, is difficult for a lot of folks, whether it's the taste, texture, or both. For some it's an acquired taste.  Freshness is very important for the fish in sushi, and especially so with uni.  If it's not fresh, it can be very off-putting.
I like uni myself, though it took a time or two eating it to get past the texture. Now I don't even think about it.  I have uni almost every time I go to a decent sushi restaurant.

I've always don uni as uni shooters -- uni and raw quail egg with ponzu, in a glass of sake. They are pretty darn good that way. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 08:40:52 PM »
We actually have some edible grocery store sushi here. The guy makes it fresh there in the store and if bought at the right time, it's downright passable and inexpensive! I'm sure sushi snobs would disagree but to this boy's pallet, it'll do in a pinch.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
I've always don uni as uni shooters -- uni and raw quail egg with ponzu, in a glass of sake. They are pretty darn good that way. :)

I've never heard of that combination.  Sounds pretty good.
I've used ponzu, or ajipon, for cooking at home.  Good stuff.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »
We actually have some edible grocery store sushi here. The guy makes it fresh there in the store and if bought at the right time, it's downright passable and inexpensive! I'm sure sushi snobs would disagree but to this boy's pallet, it'll do in a pinch.

We have the same in the commissary here. We get a roll made with carrots, cucumber and cream cheese made up. Not too bad, the wife likes it.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:28 AM »
"Sea Urchin, or Uni, is difficult for a lot of folks, whether it's the taste, texture, or both."

For me, it's both taste and texture.

If it were just texture, I might be able to soldier through it, but combine the two? Nope.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »

The building I worked at downtown in DC had a pretty decent cafeteria, and part of it was, according to my boss, a pretty good sushi bar.

I never tried it because it was so darned expensive.