Author Topic: How are you guys cooking turkeys this year?  (Read 13850 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
How are you guys cooking turkeys this year?
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
Well?

I will be roasting in the pellet grill at 350.  Probably splatchcocked (fun word!).  I'm debating smoking it at 180 for a few hours before cranking up the heat for a little more smoke flavor, at 350 you get little or no smoke flavor.  It burns too cleanly.

We went ghetto and bought a butterball pre-brined 20lb bird.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: How are you guys cooking turkeys this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
Splatch?

I've always heard it Spatch... No L.

It looks like I'm eating with friends this year. If previous years are any indication, they'll do one smoked on the grill and another in the oven.

"We went ghetto and bought a butterball pre-brined 20lb bird."

You're a monster...

I have a 12-15 pounder in my freezer I got after the new year's sales. I've been thinking that I want to cook it on the Weber, but I'm most likely going to do a classic stuffed bird in the oven. I'll probably do it in a couple of weeks, in between T-giving and Christmas so that I have some meat and gravy and ancillary leftovers for pie and stock and the like.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
We're not going to be around for Thanksgiving, so I'll probably roast a turkey on Christmas.

I got a 12# bird in the freezer I picked up the other day when I bought a ham (buy the ham, get a free turkey).

I'll just roast it in the oven in a oven bag. Wife isn't a big fan of spicy things, so it will be pretty plain Jane, salt and pepper with a bit of olive oil. Oven bag makes sure you have a nice moist bird.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
I got rave reviews for my bird last year (first time I'd cooked a turkey), so we've had requests to do it again.

I'll be injecting butter into it. (And rub with salt and pepper). That's all.

WOW, was it good last year. (To toot my own horn)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
Whatever frozen turkeys I can find that's the cheapest (preliminary search, Butterball for 99¢ lb).  I'll put it in the electric roaster Thursday morning.  Takes about 4 hours, or maybe 5 if it goes in still frozen.  When it comes out, the skin on top needs a little work with a heat gun to brown it :D

Not sure yet what we'll have for sides; maybe sweet potatoes cooked with bananas and a little butter, and steamed broccoli.  

It's just Wife and me and the 2 dogs, so I don't want to do anything elaborate.  (the previously-mentioned tamales will be made the weekend after Turkey Day)
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
We're not going to be around for Thanksgiving, so I'll probably roast a turkey on Christmas.

I got a 12# bird in the freezer I picked up the other day when I bought a ham (buy the ham, get a free turkey).

I'll just roast it in the oven in a oven bag. Wife isn't a big fan of spicy things, so it will be pretty plain Jane, salt and pepper with a bit of olive oil. Oven bag makes sure you have a nice moist bird.

For Christmas we will be doing a prime rib.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »

I miss prime rib
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
I just buy a turkey breast, only two of us so a lot less wastage that way. I think I'll cook it in the dishwasher this year because I don't have my sous vide yet. :)

bob

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:33 PM »
We're moving into the new house starting tomorrow, and my wife can't wait to try out the new Thor 6 burner stove with double oven. So probably a traditional roasted stuffed turkey, along with ham.  I can abide turkey, I like ham, but mashed potatoes and dressing with gravy is what I'm waiting for  (My mom would always put on five extra pounds of potatoes when I was coming for dinner.)

Us too.  My dad never cared for turkey, so we'll keep up with tradition and have prime rib and (yum) brown gravy.  The gravy is for the mashed potatoes, natch.  Horseradish (home grown) is what goes on prime rib.

We should have a large crowd for both holidays.  Everyone wants to see the new house.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
Blow torch or molten lava soak.  Haven't decided yet.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:03:16 PM »
Flammenwerfer.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:35 PM »
Blow torch or molten lava soak.  Haven't decided yet.

Where you getting your lava from? I may need some soon. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
In 2015 I did an herbed pork loin with some of the most fantastic au gratin potatos I've ever had. Found the recipe on the internet for making in a slow cooker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »
I'm leaning to smoking one this year.

I need to cut down another hickory tree though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm doing the boring "in the oven" thing. For a few years a ways back I fried it, but I'm lazy and the oven always seems to do a good job given I do mine, so it works for me. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
Swmbo is brining the bird for a day and then do whatever other magic she does when she pops it in the oven.  One of the legs is mine!  The rest of the family can fight over what's left.   Mashed potatoes covered in corn and stuffing then bathed in turkey gravy.  Cranberries and DIL's green bean casserole (a whole bunch of stuff including cheese)  Home made cornbread.  My job is to stand by for eating.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Last year, I brined two turkeys, then smoked them at about 220 for... 13 hours?  Wood fired, using oak.

Turned out really well.  I'll probably do the same this year.  I'll probably also throw a slab or two of ribs on, because if I'm tending the smoker anyway, why not?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 01:50:22 AM »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
CFL3 CFL4, you know, whatever it takes.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »
Smoking the beast is always good. I probably will put a bacon weave atop it.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »
We raised 7 of the poor dumb bastards this year,  butchered in August.  Average weight 18 lbs.  I plan to brine one, and then roast him in the oven old school,  just normal roaster pan.  They were so docile and otherwise friendly I almost feel bad. Almost  :cool:.

We usually fry one in peanut oil, but this is the first Thanksgiving without my grandmother so we're trying one her way.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Slow cooking in the pit barrel over charcoal.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
"We raised 7 of the poor dumb bastards this year..."

You raised 7 Jamis Jockeys?

Cloning?

:rofl:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
Got a 3lb Turkey breast with the certificate I won at the American Legion Turkey Shoot.   Open the outer bag, but the thing, inner bag and all in this:  https://www.amazon.com/Magnalite-Classic-18-Inch-Covered-Roaster/dp/B00080QE20/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511593846&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=magnalite+roaster&psc=1

(It's what Dad used when I was growing up.  My niece glomed onto it before I could grab it.  He also used it to make his stews... I got mine on E-bay for $12.  While it's not Dad's, he would approve.)

Anyway, sides consist of Aldi boxed chicken flavor stuffing (I like it.)  Aldi Four Cheese Potatoes, and Mini Green Bean casseroles:  https://www.campbells.com/kitchen/recipes/mini-green-bean-casseroles/

Since there was just the two of us, and Robert had to work at 5pm, it was a low-key day...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »
The turkey I bought (I think it was Jennie-o brand) had a pouch of gravy concentrate tucked inside.  I'm always suspicious of those sorts of things and make my own gravy if I want gravy.  But this year I was trying to keep everything simple.  The directions said to add 2 cups of water or broth.  I had plenty of watery drippings from the roaster (that later went into the stock after I boiled the carcass) but figured that would have too much salt, and the gravy mix was probably too salty already.  So I boiled the giblets and neck in about 3 cups of water to make broth and I used that.  The gravy was still too salty, but not bad.

Leftovers time, I decided to thin the gravy out a little with some half-n-half and see what I got.  Added less than a cup but not much less, and brought it to a simmer and stirred it up good.  Also gave it a couple of grinds of black pepper.  Damn, that was good!  There's still a little left, but not much; I've been eating it with potatoes and leftover turkey.  I need to try some on a baked sweet potato before it's all gone...

I'll know next year to start out like that.  And now you know too.
"It's good, though..."