Author Topic: Suntory Toki Whisky  (Read 3695 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Suntory Toki Whisky
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:49 PM »
I've been wanting to try Japanese whisky for quite some time and got this Suntory Toki (they sell it at Costco) for Christmas.

It's very good. It's a blended whisky, apparently with all Japanese ingredients, but I taste a distinctly Islay-like smokiness in it. Not strong like the Islay scotches - just a hint. I also seem to detect some rye flavors. Basically my two favorite whiskey types, so what's not to like?  =D

It actually threw me, because the color is very, very light. Just by appearance, I was expecting to not like it. Some of you who might not ordinarily like an Islay scotch might take to this given the very light smokiness.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Suntory Toki Whisky
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:45:45 AM »
I don't recall any Islay-like smokiness.

In fact, I found the whisky very mild and subtle, very much like a Speyside whisky such as Glenlivet.

BTW, you mentioned color.  Don't judge a whisk(e)y by its color.  While American whiskeys cannot use any coloring additives, Scotch can, so you end up with very mild and subtle scotches having a deep color and more potent ones having more straw-like colors while their American brethren are all deep brown from using virgin barrels (scotch, due to the scarcity of oak in Scotland, uses recycled bourbon, sherry, and wine barrels that impart less color).

Chris

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Re: Suntory Toki Whisky
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:01:47 AM »
I find it unremarkable.  When I visit Japan, and go out for some drinks with friends, they always choose real Scotch or Bourbon.