Author Topic: Superbowl Party Menus, let's see them!  (Read 4977 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Superbowl Party Menus, let's see them!
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »
I suspect at least a few of you are having (or going to) gatherings for the Superbowl (GO SPORT!)...

Making anything special?

While I really couldn't care less about the game anymore, I'll probably watch at least some of it, if for anything more the commercials. I'm not planning on doing anything special food wise as I won't be attending any parties or having anyone over because I'll be going to be well before the game ends.

So, if you are, what are you serving?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Superbowl Party Menus, let's see them!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
I'm about the same as you. One of the things I appreciate about APS is how many of us are "Sports! Meh." :)

I won't be watching the game. It's been abnormally warm here, so my plan is to, in the morning, finally backblade down all the mud from drilling the new house well that has now turned into workable dirt, then actually cooking up a "hooray sports" lunch on the outdoor grill of rib eye, corn on the cob, and taters. Then following that up with hammock time, music, and a glass of good whiskey.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
It's just my family and we're not putting on the game. Doesn't mean we can't have a party, though.

Maybe I'll get some shrimp. My children absolutely love that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
It's going to be chilly this weekend but you know what, maybe I'll get myself a chicken and do it on the BBQ.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
It will be the typical Seattle winter weather of mid to high 40's and rainy, so everything will be indoors.  I am going to stop at Safeway on the way home and pick up the ingredients for a big pot of chili and a hazelnut cheesecake.  We are having a neighborhood potluck at our house, and we volunteered to make the chili and cheesecake.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:24 PM »
Nothing special. Pizza and wings from some local places. Chips etc.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »
I usually watch the super bowl with my dad,  but we're passing in favor of finishing Westworld.  We don't care for either team and the NFL in general can go do something obscene with itself.  I'd be bummed out missing it,  but dad is really into Westworld and it's the first thing since Band of Brothers he's into that we watch together.

As to chow, corned beef sliced fine and made into reubens, and what's left of my Pillar rum.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »
I've decided I'm going to make a big pot of chili.

That will give me some nice lunches throughout the coming week, as well.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »
I will be out squirrel hunting on Super Bowl day.  Menu will probably be either Mountain house or some MRE components.  Not interested in watching anti American thugs.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »
What's this "Superbowl" thingie you speak of?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
We're supposed to get 2-4" of snow today/tonight.  Since I'm off tomorrow, I plan on firing up the fireplace insert and a pipe or two, reading a book, and maybe grabbing a movie.   I'll hit Mariano's for a steak and do that out on the grill with baked beans and a salad.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
A can or two of Miller Lite.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
Charbs is livin' it up!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
It's tomorrow?

Well, leftovers from the Bavarian Chef while I watch more Altered Carbon.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 10:17:43 PM »
Bavarian Chef!  Yum!

I’ll be flying to Tampa tomorrow followed by a dinner meeting, so no Super Bowl for me.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »
Bavarian Chef!  Yum!

Indeed. My goal was to actually make it to dessert this time.

I didn't succeed.  :laugh:

So, in addition to what's left of the pork loin served on mashed potato and sausage stuffing, topped with fried onions (which is over half of what was served to me) plus two potato dumplings, red cabbage, zucchini and glazed carrots, I also have a nice big piece of apple strudel that I think will make a tasty breakfast...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Charbs is livin' it up!

Apparently wife informed us we are going to a couple parties, so I'm going to make Texas caviar.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
No Super Bowl party here.  We may watch part of the game to see the commercials, but I really don't care who wins.

BUT, we had a party last night for son Jimmy's 41st birthday  DIL was freaking out because the guest list went from 20 or so to 40 or more.  Since we now live with Jimmy and his family, my wife (Sandy) took over.  (We've hosted 80 or more several times.)  A big taco bar, with pulled pork, pulled Mexican chicken, and traditional ground beef taco filling, along with all types of tortillas and a host of toppings.  Then Sandy spent the better part of Thursday and Friday making her soon-to-be-famous bite size pies.  5 or 6 different kinds and probably 200 or so total.  I'm not much of a dessert guy, but the lime ones in fillo shells were excellent.  Also, chocolate with strawberries and raspberries on top, pecan with a single pecan on top, and a few that I didn't even taste.

Everything was a hit.  Nobody left hungry, and everyone spent the evening playing pool and drinking beer in the family room.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
Just saw Charby's Velveeta dip recipe in the Vouched Recipes thread, and that reminded me...

When I went to the store Saturday evening, I needed makings of chili...

There wasn't a can of Rotel in the entire damned store, and Velveeta was running low, too. :rofl:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Just saw Charby's Velveeta dip recipe in the Vouched Recipes thread, and that reminded me...

When I went to the store Saturday evening, I needed makings of chili...

There wasn't a can of Rotel in the entire damned store, and Velveeta was running low, too. :rofl:

I was shocked how expensive Velveeta is. $7.99 for a 2lb hunk of processed cheese food.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
I was shocked how expensive Velveeta is. $7.99 for a 2lb hunk of processed cheese food.

You can substitute 12 ounces of Deluxe American cheese for a pound of Velveeta in most of those recipes, if American cheese is cheaper. (Deluxe American is lower moisture.)

Aldi's knockoff Velveeta is only $4 for 2 pounds, but it's way too salty.  It still works in some things but not Rotel dip.
"It's good, though..."