Author Topic: Recommend me a two stroke chainsaw  (Read 7808 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Recommend me a two stroke chainsaw
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »
I will be in the market for a consumer-grade two-stroke chainsaw with a 16-18 inch bar.  I don't require a professional-grade like an Echo or Husqvarna.  This will primarily be used for cleaning up fallen trees, taking down broken trees and the like.   If you have any experience or knowledge and can recommend a brand or specific model, please do.   

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Recommend me a two stroke chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
I will be in the market for a consumer-grade two-stroke chainsaw with a 16-18 inch bar.  I don't require a professional-grade like an Echo or Husqvarna.  This will primarily be used for cleaning up fallen trees, taking down broken trees and the like.   If you have any experience or knowledge and can recommend a brand or specific model, please do.   

Yes. You do.

Echo, Poulan, and the rest will end up eating more time, energy, and money trying to keep the damn thing running, or get it started in the first place, than money saved on a good saw.  ESPECIALLY if it's going to sit a couple months between uses.  A good saw will fire up and run, where as a "homeowner grade" saw will need a tune up and probably parts to even start after a couple months sitting.

Here's a 16" Husky for $269.  Good small saw.

I used real saws to cut firewood in AK growing up, and when I got my first house in FL, I made the same mistake you are about to.  I thought "I just need a small light saw for the occasional logs and trimming"  Had a Craftsman (from pawn shop) an Echo and a Poulan Pro.  All were crap, although the craftsman was the best of the crap.  The Poulan was activly dangerous because you needed to hold the trigger down to get it running, so when it finally started, it went to full chooch right away.  (watch your feet).  The echo wouldn't run if elevated above your head.  THe gas pickup was designed badly.

Finally sucked it up and bough a Husky like I had up north.  Works every time, starts with no fuss, will actually idle if you set it down to move a tree.  I used it to cut out of my neighborhood and into a friends after Irma last year.  It was worth it's weight in gold vs. my neighbors trying to get their saws started.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
Stihl.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
Wow, how very helpful, DM.  Some definite things to consider.  I thought that Huskys were really expensive, but apparently not.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
They have different grades. I have a Husqvarna 445 rancher, not a pro model, but very good. It's that or Stihl. My dad got a Stihl arborist saw and it is very easy starting and light. Three bills or so. Anything past those two brands, skip it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »
Stihl or Husqvarna
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »
16” Husqvarna has served me well over the last 20 years.  Buy once rather than the consumer-grade installment plan. ;)
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
I've had Stihl and Solo user lust after my Poulan for how well it cuts and how easy it is to start. It might be a one off or it might be how I treat it.

I cut hedge almost exclusively so the saw has to be tough. Fresh treated fuel and keep a sharp chain.

I wish I could find parts for my prekickback macs. They are beasts.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
Stihl MS170 is a good bang for the buck.  33cc engine and light.  I plan on getting one soon.  I've had Poulan, Homelite, Echo, and Stihl.  The only one that was junk was the Poulan.  My Homelite was a 50cc saw from a pawnshop ($80) that took over 20 years of abuse, and would still start if I needed it.  My Echo, another 50cc saw,was another pawnshop buy ($90) that has been a wonder.  It's light and handy, and will start no matter if it sits one week or several months.  My Stihl is a monster at 70cc with a 20" or 28" bar.  I only own it because, why not?  We have heated with wood, either partially or wholly, for about 40 years.

All that said, the pros almost exclusively use either Stihls or Huskys.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 07:09:58 PM »
Come up my way and visit Woods Logging.  Great shop and excellent support for what they sell.  They can help you pick out the right saw for your needs.  If you can wait until July there are great deals on barely used saws after Loggerodeo.  They donate saws for the carving competition and then afterwards they sell them at used prices with full factory warranty.  Most will have less than 3 hours on them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
I got an Echo CS-310 I bought new 18 months ago to cut up a mulberry tree in my backyard. I've used it 3 or 4 times since then. I never had a problem getting it started after sitting months at a time, but I do buy the quart cans of premixed 2 stroke fuel.

My only issue is it's a bit underpowered for what I'm used to in older saws I've used or owned. Plus I hate the low kick back chain. I really like an aggressive chain when cutting. No problem working overhead.

Would I buy it again, sure just a fine saw for $200 new.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
I have an Echo CS-660EVL that's close to 30 years old.  Still runs good.  It's powerful as all get-out, and I kinda wish it had a chain brake.  I use a 20" bar on it; it will take up to a 27"  I also have a little Echo CS-2000 that I like (I think that's the model number; 12" bar and a top handle so you can use it one-handed), but it has a primer bulb so it's a lot more temperamental than the big saw.

I would have no qualms with buying a new Echo saw, just a little smaller one than my 660. 
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
Stihl or Husqvarna
+++
Save $50 and spend $200 keeping it running with the discount brands.
I have a stihl that is 20 years old. I've spent less than $100 on it in shop work since I bought it new. It will fire up and cut like a raped ape when I need it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Stihl. 

Like the rest said,  buy once cry once.  The real key to keeping a 2 stroke that you only use occasionally running is to use NO ETHANOL.  For your purposes, I'd buy the Stihl ready mix stuff in a can and never worry about it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
If you cut a lot you can find a place that sells Sunoco leaded race gas in five gallon cans. That, a place that sells no ethanol, or the pre mix. And despite my love for Stihl and Husqvarna I did get a $20 pawn shop homelite that is still going strong for the person I gave it to 15 years ago.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »
I worked for a tree service for a couple of years while I was trying to get my business up and running. They mostly had Stihls, and I grew to hate them. Some of them are now made in China, and there's a very big difference in quality between their homeowner line and their pro line. The homeowner stuff now all have plastic crank cases. I can't bring myself to trust an engine made of plastic.

I have a Dolmar PS421. 42cc, magnesium crank case, punches way above its weight. Comes with a 16" bar, but will pull an 18" no problem. In the US, pros all use Husky or Stihl, elsewhere it's Husky, Stihl, or Dolmar. Dolmar actually were the inventors of the gasoline powered chainsaw.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
Brass Eagle made the 1st commercial paintball marker but their line was superseded by several others and Brass Eagle is no more. Being 1st only means you were first, not the best as time passes.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »
Brass Eagle made the 1st commercial paintball marker but their line was superseded by several others and Brass Eagle is no more. Being 1st only means you were first, not the best as time passes.

True, I only mentioned that fact to highlight the point that they'd been around for quite a while. It's not a commonly known brand, at least around here; but I'll put their quality with the absolute best that the other big two can put out. I've never heard anything bad about a Husky; but I'd prefer to never have to try and start a Stihl again.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:42 AM »
True. I just have heard others, not really here, make that false equivalence and it irritates me. More clarifying than dismissing the brand.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
I've used a lot of chainsaws over the years. My information/observations are a bit dated, though, as most of it was accumulated in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Echos were OK for light work, but in general just couldn't handle the stress of the kind of timbering we were doing in the 1980s, which was clearing a LOT of gypsy moth killed trees and turning it into firewood.

McCullochs were decent, but again, had trouble standing up to the kind of use they were getting.

Stihls were, hands down, the best I've used. You could use one all day and it would be looking at you as if to say "That's all? Lazy bastard!"

I only used a couple of Huskys over the years, but they were OK.

Hands down the biggest pains in the ass brand was Poulan. Getting them to start when they were cold was just annoying as hell. More than a few times in the winter we pulled the sparkplug and used a propane torch to heat it. They also tended to flood if you held them up at an angle and tended to flood when trying to start them.

Generally, though, once you got them going they performed decently, but because of the cold start issues they have always been my last choice.

Here's a review of some chainsaws that this site found to be the best. https://bestreviews.com/best-gas-chainsaws
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:19:19 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »
Here's a review of some chainsaws that this site found to be the best.

???  :P
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
Damn it, I ever didn't paste the link in, or I overwrote it.

https://bestreviews.com/best-gas-chainsaws

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Just saw the comments about Stihl being hard to start. I never found that to be the case. Even in cold weather I found Stihls to be about the easiest to get started.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
The last time I had a tree across the drive taking out the power line the brush crew coundn't get their stihl's started we used my "junk" poulan to clear the large cottonwood.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 12:03:26 AM »
What, nobody beat me to it?

It's got a forward stroke and a backward stroke...