Author Topic: Recommend me a two stroke chainsaw  (Read 7807 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Recommend me a two stroke chainsaw
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 08:03:10 PM »
Pruned a green ash tree after work with my Echo. I haven't started it in 6 months, but after I primed it good, it started right up and now I have a trailer load of logs and brush to get rid of tomorrow before the storm. Cut through a 12" branch going slow, just wish it had more power, not used to having to wait for a saw on wood smaller than the bar length.

For a firewood/trimming saw I'm starting to like it, not regretting the purchase. Definitely not a bad saw like people say they are. I'd need something bigger for a felling saw.

My father has burned up a few Stihl saws over the years, so they aren't all they are cracked up to be either. I've seen Huskys fail too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 06:50:51 PM »
For what it's worth, I recently purchased a Black & Decker CS1518 electric chain saw off Amazon.  I was looking at various flavors of gas powered Stihl saws from the local dealer, but was really not wanting to deal with another 2-cycle power tool.
It's 120VAC powered, 15 amp, with an 18 inch bar.  It comes with an Oregon brand chain and bar.
B&D has been iffy on their power tools for a number of years, but this thing got good reviews wherever I looked it up.  I figured at less than $75 I wouldn't be out much if it tanked on me.
I've cut about three dozen 14 inch long rounds out of the two hardwood trees that came down in last year's tornado, plus many smaller branches and such off the same trees.  The trees are 24 inches in diameter, so it can handle large stuff well enough.
It's easy on bar oil, and the Oregon chains cut like butter through the hard wood as long as they are sharp.
Overall, it's been a very good saw thus far, and I'm quite happy with it.  I've got a lot more wood to cut with it, so that will give me a chance to see how it holds up over time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:22:08 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
Starting about a month ago, I went out in search of an 18 inch Husky or Stihl medium duty chainsaw.  I went to the big box stores, the local hardware stores, and the local power equipment stores.  I was surprised to see that Husky, Stihl, and many other brands were sold out or otherwise not available.  The local Home Depots were completely out of gas chainsaws and Lowe's only had Craftsman available.  The power equipment stores had the logger-level saws, but were also out of consumer-grade. I ended up getting an 18 inch Poulan Pro from Amazon.  I see that Husky has bought Poulan, and the Pro line has many Husky parts in it.  I have a lot of cleanup to do in the forested back third of our lot after our wet and windy winter.  I wonder what the deal is with the chainsaw supply chain right now.  Maybe they are all sitting in a container ship off Long Beach waiting to dock.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »
I’ll be picking up an MS-261 soon.  The “pro” level saws are so much better built, and repairable, compared to homeowner saws it’s totally worth the extra money.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
^^^I had looked at Coastal in Mt. Vernon and they were out of stock, at least two weeks ago.  Oddly enough, they had scads of the DeWalt cordless chain saws.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 11:05:40 AM »
Woods Logging here in Sedro Woolley is where you should be going. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »
Starting about a month ago, I went out in search of an 18 inch Husky or Stihl medium duty chainsaw.  I went to the big box stores, the local hardware stores, and the local power equipment stores.  I was surprised to see that Husky, Stihl, and many other brands were sold out or otherwise not available.  The local Home Depots were completely out of gas chainsaws and Lowe's only had Craftsman available.  The power equipment stores had the logger-level saws, but were also out of consumer-grade. I ended up getting an 18 inch Poulan Pro from Amazon.  I see that Husky has bought Poulan, and the Pro line has many Husky parts in it.  I have a lot of cleanup to do in the forested back third of our lot after our wet and windy winter.  I wonder what the deal is with the chainsaw supply chain right now.  Maybe they are all sitting in a container ship off Long Beach waiting to dock.

Huh. I just checked the Stihl site, and if you go to your local dealer's site, they usually list the prices. Now it just says "call". I wonder if it's a parts thing, like with the computer chips for cars right now?

I have a Stihl MS250. My intention when I got it was to get the 271 Farm Boss, but my dealer talked me out of it as overkill and put me in the MS250. I'm very happy with it. I have used it a lot more than I thought I would, and it handles downed trees/limbs and firewood, which is 90% of my use, with no problems. Real pleasure to use. As long as I follow the Stihl starting procedure, it's up and running right away, every time.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
I’ll be picking up an MS-261 soon.  The “pro” level saws are so much better built, and repairable, compared to homeowner saws it’s totally worth the extra money.
That’s my next one. I’m still running an over 20 year old 029 Farm Boss with 20” bar. Still cuts like crazy but it’s heavy. The new saws are lighter. I have a 201T arborist saw that is real handy for smaller stuff.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
That’s my next one. I’m still running an over 20 year old 029 with 20” bar. Still cuts like crazy but it’s heavy. The new saws are lighter. I have a 201T arborist saw that is real handy for smaller stuff.

My tree guys, who are coincidentally coming out next week to take out a dozen of these %&^(*^% %&^* Russian Olive trees, used those little arborist saws for like 80% of their work when they were out last year. They were pretty much using the big logger saws only for the tree trunks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Woods Logging here in Sedro Woolley is where you should be going.

I will have to bear that in mind as a side trip the next time I am up at Skagit Arms.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »
My brother bought a Green-something 40V electric 16" chainsaw and a matching pole saw.  I haven't used the chainsaw yet but I have used the polesaw, and within its range much to my surprise it works as well as a Stihl professional polesaw that I've used a few times.  Mainly it doesn't have the reach of the Stihl because the shaft doesn't telescope.  The battery lasts longer than you'd expect.

I bought an Echo CS-580 "Timberwolf" recently, with a 20" bar.  I was going to get it with the 18" bar because I have a spare 20 already but the guy at the saw shop talked me out of it.  It's not as powerful as my old CS-660 but it's close, and it is so much easier to start and it's lighter and more nimble.  I highly recommend it.  Also, it doesn't have a primer bulb and that's a big plus in my opinion because that's a weak link and they will fail on you.  This saw (and my old 660) start okay without a primer bulb; in fact it's easy to flood it if you don't release the choke the first time it "pops".  It will start on the next pull.

I'm in Texas right now, just north of Houston.  I went looking for non-ethanol gasoline and it almost doesn't exist in this state.  (I am disappoint)  I did find some at a marina on Lake Livingston, and I was going to Livingston anyway, but it's only 87 octane.  I bought it, but I really wanted 89 or 91 octane.  The ready to use 2-cycle fuel is $20 a gallon at Home Depot and $30 a gallon for the Stihl brand at Southern Tractor.  That might be another reason to go electric.

ETA: The electric saws are Greenworks brand
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:49:18 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 12:03:40 PM »
My brother bought a Green-something 40V electric 16" chainsaw and a matching pole saw.  I haven't used the chainsaw yet but I have used the polesaw, and within its range much to my surprise it works as well as a Stihl professional polesaw that I've used a few times.  Mainly it doesn't have the reach of the Stihl because the shaft doesn't telescope.  The battery lasts longer than you'd expect.

I have to say, I bought the expensive Stihl professional pole saw, and while it's an awesome saw, it's heavy enough and awkward fully extended that I only use it where I absolutely have to. Most of the time I end up reaching for my Harbor Freight battery pole saw. I need to figure out a good harness for the Stihl, because it's a workout just holding it in my hands.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 12:26:55 PM »
With stuff like chainsaws I'm firmly in the camp of "buy once, cry once".
A high quality saw will last most folks a lifetime with proper use and maintenance.

I've got 2 Stihl saws, both running 20" bars.

MS271
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms271/

MS362
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362/

I've had the 271 for going on a decade or more now. It's never given me a hint of trouble, except that time I loaned it to my brother and I had a hell of a time getting it to run right after that, I think he used the cheapest oil byproduct he could find to run in it. I try not to loan him power tools, particularly small engine stuff. Sometimes he's the kind of guy that could *expletive deleted*ck up a good anvil with one use.

I've had the 362 for going on 3 years. I got it to run in my Alaskan chainsaw mill. For it's size it is an absolute beast.

My little 18" McColloch that I've had for 25 years has pretty well expired and I'm thinking about adding another Stihl to the stable

Either the 462 or the 500 so I can run a wider cut with my Alaskan mill
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462cm/

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms500i/

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
I will have to bear that in mind as a side trip the next time I am up at Skagit Arms.

Let me know when you do.  We can grab a beer or coffee while you’re up this way.