Author Topic: AR weapon light  (Read 1378 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
AR weapon light
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
My little brother is about to buy his first AR - and his goal is to have it as a home defense gun (as well as a range toy in general).   Now a rifle is not my first choice as a HD gun, but a rifle is better than sharp words...  Since it's been waaaaay too long since I looked at weapon lights, any good suggestions for a budget (~$100 or less) weapon light that's not gonna blind him if he flips it on in the house?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
Re: AR weapon light
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »
I have a Surefire G2 LED nitrolon on my AR . . . IIRC, it cost me about $50 several years ago, and it follows the KISS principle - on, off. No multimode/strobe/focus stuff to distract or complicate its operation.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
Surefire G2 LED is a good light.  I also like Streamlight. 

There should be plenty of lights under $100, but not all come with mounts.

Depending on how his rifle is set-up, such as quad rails, M-lock, or other, and whether he has an A2 front sight post, something like this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69220-Mounted-Tactical-Locating/dp/B001T7GZQQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520139444&sr=8-3&keywords=streamlight+tlr-3

I use a similar model on one of my carbines.  Not too bright for indoor use, but plenty bright enough to see what is going on.  It is ambidextrous-friendly, too.  I have mine mounted on the top rail.

If he gets a Surefire G2, or similar tube light, he will need a mount.  I use this Viking Tactics mount on another rifle.  It is a good as any other mount.  I like the fact that it is not quick release, which means it is less likely to come loose.  https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/flashlight-laser-mount-black-sku100004371-27329-53456.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-004-371&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-004-371

That plus a Surefire G2X from Amazon totals just under $75 for a quality set up.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:16:19 AM »
Ideally, he wants an ambidextrous friendly light.  Many of the side mounted tube lights, such as the Surefire G2, are hard to use with the other hand because of the way we hold the forestock of the rifle.  That is why I put a Streamlight with rocker switch on top of my rail.  Both hands can reach it and activate it easily.

Tell him not to bother with the gimmicks.  He doesn’t need hi/low beams or strobe effect.  No integrated laser either.  That should be a separate unit.

Mount the light as far forward as is comfortable for both hands to reach.  If he is using a front sight that is mounted on the upper rail, he can put that behind the light.  The difference in distance from the rear sight won’t make a difference that he will notice.

Try to get a light that uses AA batteries.  Those CR123 batteries are nice, but kind of pricey.  Change the battery at least every year (CR123) or six months (AA).  You can buy the CR123 in bulk for about $25 and they store well, but AAs are cheaper and everywhere.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 12:26:31 AM »
Here's the budget choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Skysted-Portable-Handheld-Flashlight-Activities/dp/B016N029NQ

It's 1" diameter, so a cheap scope ring on a pic rail works. remote switch is available too:

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Switch-Remote-Headlamp-Flashlight/dp/B071Y3QK8W
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
I use TLR-1 s on my pistols and carbine.

Good lights, rugged, and bright enough without being retina searing.

They tend to be right around $100

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:19:15 AM »
I have TLRs on a pistol and a couple of shotguns and think they're the bomb.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
I have heard good things about brands like Surefire, Streamlight, and Inforce.  The Olight lights I have used work well and they are often rechargeable.  I am sure there are other brands people have been happy with.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge