Author Topic: Do you wash your hands?  (Read 13216 times)

Michigander

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« on: March 05, 2005, 10:32:28 AM »
The tactical sink thread got me to thinking.

It was argued that sink A was closer to the urinals and therefore used more often. That may very well be true.

But I have noticed that many times, way too many times, when I use the restroom in a bar or restaurant, someone will finish up their "business" and then leave the restroom without washing his hands.

I wash my hands each and every time I urinate.

How about you?

Note: Even though the sink thread was apparently a "men's restroom," women are free to participate in this poll too, even though I only have expreince witnessing men not washing their hands.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

TarpleyG

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 10:39:27 AM »
We refer to them as NHWs at work.  We have a few.  I have found a corellation too--people who are disliked the most in our office are the ones that don't wash up.  Think about that one.  Not sure if the dislike was caused by not washing but you never know.

Greg

Michigander

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 11:38:07 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices these things.

Another thought I've had about this is how people say, "wash your hands often to help avoid becoming sick."

The way I figure it, if everyone washed their hands each time they performed their duty, then everyone would automatically be washing their hands quite often. At least I do.

In other words, if people have to be told to wash their hands often, then they are not washing each time they do their business.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:47:09 PM »
I never do at home, but always do at work.

I learned to wash really well while working at a group home for the mentally ill.  You don't even want to imagine what those guys do on a regular basis to the bathrooms.

At work now, I wash my hands every time because I work with a lot of women, and I don't want themt o think I'm gross.  However, I've noticed that more often than not, the women exit without washing a lot more than I do. ( The bathrooms are opposite each other and you can hear pretty much everything. )

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

macavada

Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »
I was much more lax about this point of hygiene until I got married and we had kids.  I handle so many things for my children, that I have become very conscientious about washing my hads after taking a leak.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
I wash every time I touch anything in the bathroom ("anything" includes "Free Willy").

I am also a compulsive washer in the kitchen when preparing food.  Before touching food, I wash.  If I touch raw meat, I wash before going on.  If I touch the garbage can, I wash.  

It's hard to look cool sitting on the big white telephone wrenching your guts out from an easily preventable bacterial infection.

Wash them hands![/b]
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Unisaw

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 03:19:28 PM »
Yikes!  Given the number of people who didn't vote for "wash every time," I suggest that we skip the secret handshake if we every have an APS get together.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

SkunkApe

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 04:07:23 PM »
I always wash my hands, unless I'm making a sandwich for Michigander or something.

One time my fishing buddy and I stopped in a bar to use the John, and I noticed he didn't wash his hands when we were leaving the restroom.

I said "Why didn't you wash your hands"?

He said "'Because my @#$! is cleaner than anything in this restroom".

Paddy

Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
Not only do I wash my hands, but I open the door in a public restroom with a paper towel.  After I'm forced to shake hands with someone, I wash my hands, too.  And I'm careful not to put my hand to my face or rub my eyes unless I'm at home.  I'm totally germophobic.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 07:09:20 PM »
As a Microbiologist by training, I KNOW what lives in our guts and on our skin, and have plated out and ID same.  Ain't NO way I'm gonna injest that stuff.

Wash hands every time, and after cleaning the cat boxes, and before handling any food or home brew materials, or after public exposure.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Zach S

Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 08:18:48 PM »
Yep.  I wash them before I go as well, its a mechanic's habit...

Old Fud

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 11:54:50 PM »
I was hoping to find somebody alert (and honest) enough to admit it's more important (sometimes) to wash BEFORE.

Ahem, Like At the Range, for instance!!!!!!

Thanks, Zack, for putting the point on the table.

As to those getting all excited about washing up after, I liked the comment made by the marine ---- "I was taught not to piss on my hands in the first place."

Fud.

PS:  If you paid attention, you will have noticed I never answered the question.
Change is Bad!

Michigander

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »
I always wash my hands, unless I'm making a sandwich for Michigander or something.

Yuk!  :shock:  :?  Thanks for the warning. Nothing but prepackaged food for me when I'm at your place. And I'll open it myself, thank you very much!  Wink

wasrjoe

Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 10:28:07 AM »
I'm a very clean person. I find every excuse I can to wash my hands.

Of course, this sometimes just goes out the window when camping, but so do a lot of other things. cheesy
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Lee

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 10:54:47 AM »
I wash my hands every chance I get.  I don't have time to be sick.  But then, I don't pee on my fingers either.

Azrael256

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 11:28:03 AM »
Yep. I wash them before I go as well, its a mechanic's habit...
 Yup, same here.  It only takes once...  Mine was dielectric grease.  One guy's was B-12.  I also started wearing gloves all the time after that.  I find that a disproportionate number of people won't wear gloves to do ANYTHING.

cfabe

• friend
Do you wash your hands?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 12:18:06 PM »
At work, always.. at home, sometimes.