Author Topic: $1000/mo Car Leases for Congress  (Read 3280 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
$1000/mo Car Leases for Congress
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
This is kinda infuriating. Who even wants to drive a car in DC? And when they're home, drive your own damn car like the rest of the gov drones do. Or else check a gov vehicle out of the GSA pool.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/03/22/austerity-budget-set-to-impose-limit-of-1000month-on-taxpayer-funded-car-leases-for-members-of-congress/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: $1000/mo Car Leases for Congress
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:46:45 AM »
I'm shocked at that price.

And then I reflect that every one of the members of congress (each, individually) thinks they are more important than the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

And now it makes sense.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
I'm shocked that we taxpayers are paying anything for congresscritters to lease cars.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm shocked that we taxpayers are paying anything for congresscritters to lease cars.

I'm not necessarily against "for official use" vehicles for them, but like I said, have a GSA pool so it's one vehicle per congressman plus aides. I used to order the GSA vehicles for my office. The most expensive vehicles I ordered were the larger Suburban/Expeditions with 4WD that we used for emergency response and occasionally hauling smaller vessels. They were a "specialty vehicle" that ran around $350/mo plus mileage IIRC. They were also shared by an entire office. Something like a Ford Focus ran around $120/mo, and a passenger minivan around $200.

To get up to $1000/mo they'd about have to be (if using GSA) leasing something like a Lincoln Towncar and driving at least a couple thousand miles a month.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
I heard of someone in our company getting lease truck for about $800 per month.  I think it was independent of miles with maintenance paid for.  That said, they don't all need vehicles.

Are we paying for drivers also?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 12:40:39 PM »
Certainly no Democrat would use a fossil fuel-burning, greenhouse gas-causing, globular-worming, male privilege automobile.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
TAKE THEIR CARS AWAY!  GIVE THEM ALL MOPEDS!

I pay enough in taxes   .... and had to buy my own car.  Let the Kongresskritters  buy their own!   >:D :mad: >:D

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
I'm not necessarily against "for official use" vehicles for them, but like I said, have a GSA pool so it's one vehicle per congressman plus aides. I used to order the GSA vehicles for my office. The most expensive vehicles I ordered were the larger Suburban/Expeditions with 4WD that we used for emergency response and occasionally hauling smaller vessels. They were a "specialty vehicle" that ran around $350/mo plus mileage IIRC. They were also shared by an entire office. Something like a Ford Focus ran around $120/mo, and a passenger minivan around $200.

To get up to $1000/mo they'd about have to be (if using GSA) leasing something like a Lincoln Towncar and driving at least a couple thousand miles a month.

I borrowed a GSA from Navel Special Warfare for a week while we were supporting their training.  It was a brand new F150 Raptor :rofl:  SOCOM gets all the goodies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
I borrowed a GSA from Navel Special Warfare for a week while we were supporting their training.  It was a brand new F150 Raptor :rofl:  SOCOM gets all the goodies.

How the heck did that get on the GSA list? I remember seeing bullet resistant Mercedes as options, but a Raptor is sorta like putting a Vette or something on the lease list.  :laugh:

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »
I read some time last year that the Border Patrol has and loves Raptors.  Incidentally, they had to wait until Ford made a run without leather seats, since apparently, leather seating is the line even GSA won't cross.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
I'm not necessarily against "for official use" vehicles for them, but like I said, have a GSA pool so it's one vehicle per congressman plus aides.

Not even one vehicle per congresscritter. Realistically, how often does each congresscritter need to use a car, and how often does each congresscritter need to send an aide somewhere that requires automobile travel? My guess would be that a fleet of 100 cars would be more than adequate.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
I read some time last year that the Border Patrol has and loves Raptors. 

Ah, yeah. For the LE. That makes sense fr them being on the list.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
Certainly no Democrat would use a fossil fuel-burning, greenhouse gas-causing, globular-worming, male privilege automobile.

In my part of the state, a supposed conservative, who made his bones locally fighting stupid little things, not only had a state provided car but also a driver on the payroll.

He lived only a few hours from Sac but that was too much for him or his personal car apparently.

Even paying him a dollar a mile would have been cheaper.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »
The standard MP patrol vehicles in Germany in the late 1980's were Volkswagen Vans (aka Hippy Microbuses) and Transporters (aka Dragon Wagons) along with Chrysler K-cars.  MPI and CID had a couple of newer Golfs.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
TAKE THEIR CARS AWAY!  GIVE THEM ALL MOPEDS!BICYCLES! MASS TRANSIT MAPS!

I pay enough in taxes   .... and had to buy my own car.  Let the Kongresskritters  buy their own!   >:D :mad: >:D

FTFY

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
I would like to take away TommyGunn's ability to change font size...

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »

Where's the like button?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Where's the like button?

We don't have one.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »

=D

Hey, you're the tech guy. How do we restrict font size to 20 or lower?  :laugh:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
=D

Hey, you're the tech guy. How do we restrict font size to 20 or lower?  :laugh:

Then you old farts can't read it.

Addendum: I'm quite annoyed that all this humor is wasted with people viewing from Tapatalk.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
Then you old farts can't read it.

Addendum: I'm quite annoyed that all this humor is wasted with people viewing from Tapatalk.

We have workarounds.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
FTFY
Politicians love to push for underutilized mass transit options in areas it doesn't make sense already, just wait until they have to use them exclusively.  They'll be voting for light rail everywhere.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
Politicians love to push for underutilized mass transit options in areas it doesn't make sense already, just wait until they have to use them exclusively.  They'll be voting for light rail everywhere.
Yes, with mass transit they can pander to liberals while still giving massive contracts to their political supporters. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Not even one vehicle per congresscritter . . .
Especially if that congresscritter is a Kennedy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
Oh come on! That's water under the bridge!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.