Author Topic: More divisive than cornbread or BBQ: Hawaiian pizza  (Read 8548 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
More divisive than cornbread or BBQ: Hawaiian pizza
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
Today's Wall Street Journal has an article about the divisive nature of Hawaiian pizza (Canadian bacon and pineapple).  For the record, I love it.  My wife does not.  She will not even accept half of the pizza to be Hawaiian, over some made-up concern over 'contamination'.

I wonder if this will rank as one of the great APS schism threads, right up there with cornbread or BBQ.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: More divisive than cornbread or BBQ: Hawaiian pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
Hawaiian "pizza" - another good reason to revoke their statehood.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »
Today's Wall Street Journal has an article about the divisive nature of Hawaiian pizza (Canadian bacon and pineapple).  For the record, I love it.  My wife does not.  She will not even accept half of the pizza to be Hawaiian, over some made-up concern over 'contamination'.

I wonder if this will rank as one of the great APS schism threads, right up there with cornbread or BBQ.

Hey, I'm with you Millcreek. If you don't want to call cornbread with sugar, cornbread, or you don't want to call pizza with pineapple, pizza, call them whatever you like. I'll eat them by any name. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »
I grew up with it.  Wife loves it.  Marital compromise was not having mushrooms on it anymore though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
I grew up with it.  Wife loves it.  Marital compromise was not having mushrooms on it anymore though.

Obviously, one wouldn't put mushrooms on anything one was going to eat.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »

More to the point, isn't this a case of tri-lateral cultural appropriation? Seriously, putting Canadian bacon and pineapple on pizza? This cannot be allowed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
Since there ought not to be any Hawaiian Chicago Style Deep Dish pizza, CLEARLY Hawaiian is not a REAL pizza.*

But, it's just as good as any other thin pizza.  

*to kick off the more divisive pizza debate

Seriously, though, it's fine. I prefer other pizzas (USUALLY), but it's good and a nice change sometimes.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
I'll eat anything on pizza other than olives. I HATE olives.

If you think pineapple and bacon is weird... try out some of popular toppings in other nations...

http://www.popuppizzalv.com/8-pizza-toppings-from-across-the-world/

Oh, while I hate olives, I LOVE anchovies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »
I used to like it, not so much anymore. Wife loves it, but she denies me supreme pizza, so I deny her Hawaiian pizza when go out for pizza or order for delivery.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Pineapple. On pizza. *expletive deleted*ing savages.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
Love Hawaiian pizza.  Donatos as a really good Hawaiian pizza, with shaved ham, pineapple, almonds and cinnamon.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
More to the point, isn't this a case of tri-lateral cultural appropriation? Seriously, putting Canadian bacon and pineapple on pizza? This cannot be allowed.

That's what i was thinking.  I'm not sure exactly who is appropriating what from whom, but I'm pretty sure we ought to be outraged by at least two thirds of the meal.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
That's what i was thinking.  I'm not sure exactly who is appropriating what from whom, but I'm pretty sure we ought to be outraged by at least two thirds of the meal.

One thing I can tell you is that Italy had better quit appropriating pizza, which is clearly an American invention. I mean, sure, they had a pizza prototype, but their topping of choice was big blobs of mozzarella. ;/  Get real, Luigi. As everyone knows, pizza actually began in the U.S., when we invented pepperoni.

So knock it off, Italy!  :mad:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
"deep dish pizza."

That's not pizza.

That's a loaf of sauced *expletive deleted*ing bread dough.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
To further delve into inappropriate pizza styles...  =D

I also really like BBQ chicken pizza with cashews. I did not think I would like it, but was convinced to try it, and it's now one of my favorite pizza (or pizza-like, for you sticklers) styles.

Whenever I'm up fishing in Mammoth and do my one day of 10-15 miles of hiking, when I get back, the first thing I do is call the Republican run pizza joint in town and order a large, and eat the whole damn thing with a couple of beers. The one they make there is the best I've ever had, and like Hawaiian style (or any pizza really) a lot of it depends on where you get your pizza. I've eaten at places that can make a great pepperoni, but a terrible Hawaiian.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:46 PM »
To further delve into inappropriate pizza styles...  =D

I also really like BBQ chicken pizza with cashews. I did not think I would like it, but was convinced to try it, and it's now one of my favorite pizza (or pizza-like, for you sticklers) styles.

Whenever I'm up fishing in Mammoth and do my one day of 10-15 miles of hiking, when I get back, the first thing I do is call the Republican run pizza joint in town and order a large, and eat the whole damn thing with a couple of beers. The one they make there is the best I've ever had, and like Hawaiian style (or any pizza really) a lot of it depends on where you get your pizza. I've eaten at places that can make a great pepperoni, but a terrible Hawaiian.

Never tried BBQ chicken pizza with cashews.  I like Jet's BBQ Chicken pizza BBQ sauce, mozzarella, grilled chicken, bacon, and red onions.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 01:54:00 PM »
Pineapple and mushroom is the greatest pizza topping combo ever.

Sausage and onion is next.

Then ground beef and onion.

And lastly the basic big combo of sausage, green pepper, onion, mushroom, and olive.

Pepperoni is nice, though.

However as long as it doesn't have jalapenos or anchovies I'll probably enjoy it. It is pizza after all.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »
Pepperoni and black olives (even better if they're kalamata) is the best. Hawaiian pizza is stupid... Well, pretty much anything with Canadian bacon is stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »
There's a little family joint not far from nick's place that we used to go to. My wife liked to order the sauerkraut and pineapple pizza. I tried it a few times it wasn't bad just not my style.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
Never tried BBQ chicken pizza with cashews.  I like Jet's BBQ Chicken pizza BBQ sauce, mozzarella, grilled chicken, bacon, and red onions.

I really like the red onions on the BBQ chicken pizza-like substance. They really add pizzazazz. :)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
Pineapple and mushroom is the greatest pizza topping combo ever.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
Dwight people suck.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
My wife and I went to a new MOD pizza that just opened nearby.  I had their take on a BBQ chicken pizza: the Caspian.  They had a nice twist on it insofar as it used gorgonzola cheese rather than mozzarella.  As a fan of gorgonzola, I approved.  When I get it next time, I think I will have them add some bacon and cilantro to it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
I am very disappointed in myself, just now. Though I feel that tacos should always be made with beef*, my wife made some chicken tacos this weekend that were not half bad. But it gets worse. While she was at it, she made something she called "Mexican pizza," also with chicken. And though I know it's a sin to eat chicken pizza, I tried it. And I liked it.  =(  Please pray for me.

*Though I wouldn't turn down venison tacos, or goat tacos, come to think of it. Gyros, etc.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:11 PM »
I heard of a pizza place that briefly offered avocado, broccoli, and sauerkraut on their pineapple BBQ pizzas.

I don't know if this is the one . . .

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain