Author Topic: Math is hard  (Read 755 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Math is hard
« on: July 21, 2018, 02:09:07 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/33360/politifact-torches-ocasio-cortez-lying-kassy-dillon

In the interview with PBS, Ocasio-Cortez claimed unemployment is low because “everyone has two jobs” and “people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family."

Politifact gave this statement a “pants on fire” rating.

The funniest thing about this to me is that she has a degree in economics. I've never taken a single econ class, but even I can figure out that the correlation between unemployment and the number of people with multiple jobs would be positive. If there's any relationship there at all. There can't be a negative correlation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Math is hard
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »
You're racist. Math is different for minorities, even college educated. Even more different for progressives who used to be called radicals.
And another thing, college degrees aren't what they used to be.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
I read Elizabeth Warren doubled it to "four jobs".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
Something to keep in mind:

Unemployment numbers go down as people hit the time limits for benefits and are taken off the rolls.

So just because the number of unemployed people goes down does not mean that there's high employment and everything is hunky-dory.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »

Unemployment numbers go down as people hit the time limits for benefits and are taken off the rolls.

So just because the number of unemployed people goes down does not mean that there's high employment and everything is hunky-dory.

So you're saying that Ocasio-Cortez is right?

It seems to me she's preaching the wrong message. Obviously, the problem is all those greedy bastards who are working two jobs, thereby depriving millions of unemployed Americans their fair share of the work. We need to make it illegal for anyone to work two jobs. While we're at it, overtime should be outlawed, too. If there's so much work that it can't be done in a standard work day, then companies must be forced to hire more workers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »

Here in Washington, you can have an unemployment claim for 52 weeks, but you stop receiving benefits at 26 weeks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
"Well, it varies between States, and in fact a couple of years ago the Feds nearly doubled the overall benefit periods in response to the fact that nobody could get a job... or said they couldn't, anyhow."

"So you're saying that Ocasio-Cortez is right?"

Please read a little more thoroughly.  All I said was it (people going off the rolls because of time limits) was something to keep in mind when discussing unemployment rates.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:51:25 PM by 230RN »