Author Topic: ACLU: Restrict Guns to Protect Freedom  (Read 1875 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
ACLU: Restrict Guns to Protect Freedom
« on: July 18, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
Re: ACLU: Restrict Guns to Protect Freedom
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:22:14 PM »
No.  Now what?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:29:38 PM »
My colleague Louise Melling has laid out the ACLU’s views on guns here — that while gun regulations must be unbiased and subject to due process protections, the Constitution does permit limits on firearms sale and ownership.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand? Exactly where does the Constitution permit limits on the right to keep and bear arms? The Second Amendment does not say that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be unreasonably infringed ... it makes an absolute statement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:45 AM »
I love their ad on that page:

We need you with us.  Donate monthly to fight Trump's attacks on people's right.

No bias there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:15 PM »
I'd really like to know what rights Trump is "attacking" ??  Other then the "right" to sneak into this country illegally.  ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
I'd really like to know what rights Trump is "attacking" ??  Other then the "right" to sneak into this country illegally.  ;/

If you'd been paying attention you'd know that at Burger King you can't get it "your way" anymore. It has to be his way. Bird watchers have to be 33% less obsessively weird about their hobby, and vegans, cross-fitters and people who don't watch TV only get to mention those things three times in any given 45 day period.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
I love their ad on that page:

No bias there.

That's not bias, that is marketing to their target audience. Most people who think a statement like that is that biased usually wouldn't go there to begin with. Those that do go there are just having their thoughts exploited and manipulated in order to fund the ACLU.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »
As we as a society consider the issue of gun violence, these implications for American freedom also need to become part of the conversation. In particular, those who support expansive gun rights as a protection against excessive government power should strongly consider how much government intrusion and expanded power they’re willing to trade for those rights.
This was the wrap up paragraph at the end of the article.  After skimming through the whole thing, I am not sure the title reflects what he actually wrote.  It seemed most of the article was talking about other intrusive and anti-rights stuff that is done for the purpose of limiting gun violence.  If he actually proposed gun control, I must have missed it.  

I get the impression the article was intended for people who are in favor of more gun control; talking about all the other things that are proposed that limit rights.  People who are in favor of gun control often support other proposals that limit individual rights.  If they think more about that, they might think more about why they want to limit gun rights.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama