Author Topic: $75K/Year to be on the Poop Patrol  (Read 6344 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
$75K/Year to be on the Poop Patrol
« on: August 24, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
San Fran has hired five public works employees for $75k/yr + benefits to scoop human poop off the streets.

As a couple of the comments alluded to:

1) How about preventing it in the first place?

2) Isn't this the kind of thing you get guys in the county lockup to do as part of their "jail isn't fun fun playtime" training?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/24/san-franciscos-poop-patrollers-cleaning-up-on-streets-and-at-bank.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: $75K/Year to be on the Poop Patrol
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »
Rules out the expression "I'm not getting paid enough for this *expletive deleted*it"   >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »

2) Isn't this the kind of thing you get guys in the county lockup to do as part of their "jail isn't fun fun playtime" training?

According to the SJWs, requiring prisoners to do work without paying them the going wage rate is "slavery."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »
Rules out the expression "I'm not getting paid enough for this *expletive deleted*it"   >:D

I was just thinking "I am indeed getting paid enough for this *expletive deleted*it", so I'm right along with you.

I have never made that much money even when I was in the USAF. 

That said, SanFran is an expensive area, and human *expletive deleted*it has its own health concerns that dog poop and such don't.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:36:33 PM »
 Roughly $37.50/hour+ benefits. 

It's just hard to believe that one of the most trendy, upscale, and "progressive" cities in America has a huge problem with people crapping on the sidewalks, so much so that they have to hire people to clean it up.  (along with hypodermic needles, as I understand it.)

My mind boggles. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
That said, SanFran is an expensive area, and human *expletive deleted*it has its own health concerns that dog poop and such don't.

Totally agree there, and I'm not sure I would take that job. I'm sure part of it is psychological, but I'd about take a burger flipper job before scooping up crap. Though I guess some nurses and hospital aids have to do it all the time, and in sometimes rather difficult situations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-francisco-rent-trends

As of July 2018, average rent for an apartment in San Francisco, CA is $3738 which is a 2.41% decrease from last year when the average rent was $3828 , and a 1.1% increase from last month when the average rent was $3697.

One bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3340 a month on average (a 4.52% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $4602 (a 1.46% decrease from last year).

$3738/mo = $44,856/yr, leaving a little over $30K to pay for taxes (Federal and state income tax, state sales tax, local sales tax, etc.), groceries, transportation, and so on.  Not sure if these jobs are unionized (if so, $$ for dues).

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

JN01

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
According to the SJWs, requiring prisoners to do work without paying them the going wage rate is "slavery."

They should be paid a decent wage.  Of course, the state would need to deduct rent, utilities, laundry services, building maintenance fees, gym membership, recreation fees, tuition, and personal security fees from their checks.  

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »

And their point is? ??? Do they think prisoners are free men?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »

They're SJWs. What makes you think they think? (At least, rationally.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
They should be paid a decent wage.  Of course, the state would need to deduct rent, utilities, laundry services, building maintenance fees, gym membership, recreation fees, tuition, and personal security fees from their checks.  

You forgot food.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
You forgot food.

Oh, so now you want to feed them too?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
Oh, so now you want to feed them too?

Only if they pay for it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 12:36:40 AM »

In this area, there have been union complaints when jail inmates do tasks ordinarily done by public works employees. The public works union claims that the jail inmates are taking work away from the union members.  We have seen this with jail inmates picking up trash and doing parks maintenance.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 01:21:35 AM »
In this area, there have been union complaints when jail inmates do tasks ordinarily done by public works employees. The public works union claims that the jail inmates are taking work away from the union members.  We have seen this with jail inmates picking up trash and doing parks maintenance.

Put the union members in jail for being communists, problem solved.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

Please add me to your newsletter mailing list.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »
 :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
Would more or less work get done? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
https://bigleaguepolitics.com/poop-patrollers-make-185k-in-san-franssco/

“Poop Patrollers” Make $185K in San FranS***sco

The San Francisco Chronicle has revealed just how much each member of the “poop patrol” team will cost the city: $184,678 in salary and benefits.

Buried in the San Francisco Chronicle‘s story on Mayor London Breed’s morning walks along downtown streets with her staff is the breakdown of the San Francisco Public Works budget items:

A $72.5 million-a-year street cleaning budget
    $12 million a year on what essentially have become housekeeping services for homeless encampments
    $2.8 million for a Hot Spots crew to wash down the camps and remove any biohazards
    $2.3 million for street steam cleaners
    $3.1 million for the Pit Stop portable toilets
    $364,000 for a four-member needle team
    An additional $700,000 set aside for a 10-member, needle cleanup squad, complete with it’s own minivan

There’s crucially now “the new $830,977-a year Poop Patrol to actively hunt down and clean up human waste.”

Causally mentioned in the San Francisco Chronicle, “By the way, the poop patrolers earn $71,760 a year, which swells to $184,678 with mandated benefits.”

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

Okay, this just came up on my more liberal board.  The going concern is that prison is basically "slavery 2.0/3.0", that people are enriching themselves off the back of subsidized cheap prison labor.  More importantly, because they want said cheap labor, that they are thus pushing for "tough on crime" sentencing intended to put low risk offenders in prison for long terms in order to exploit their labor cheaply.

Socialized cost - keeping them in prison, Private profit - their sub-minimum wage labor.

Making it worse in some ways, a few prison managers, when faced with an order to release their safest prisoners in order to save money, responded with "But how will we get our work done without the trustees?"

MechAg94 - Yeah, it is a problem.  I see three courses I would take to try to remediate it.  In the short term though, I wouldn't have much choice but to have a poop patrol.  Even if it is expensive, it's a job that needs to be done.

Longer term:
1.  Fix the housing problem, whatever it takes.  Make it easy for developers to make cheap dense housing, for example.
2.  Fix the mental healthcare system.  Whether they're drug addicts or mentally ill, they need to be in an asylum of some sort treating them as best as practical with modern medicine.  Keep in mind that a number of the addicts are also mentally ill, using illegal drugs to try to treat an illness that they couldn't afford to have treated professionally.
3.  Stop tolerating homeless camps but also stop taking measures though that merely attempt to drive the homeless away by doing things like removing public bathrooms, putting spikes over everything, making benches uncomfortable, etc...

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »
You missed number 4.

Eliminate all the free stuff drawing all of these loafers like flies to.. poop.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 09:27:42 PM »
Eliminate all the free stuff drawing all of these loafers like flies to.. poop.

Can you list "all the free stuff"?

I mean, they're obviously not being given housing if they're still homeless...

Remember when PETA rented that robot to try to drive homeless out of their parking lot?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »
Go read up on Homeless Connect,  and Newsome's pet project (Care not Cash) of handing out $400/month no questions asked.  There's also SNAP ($195/mo), and SanFrans take on phones.  Those are the standouts.

Free stuff and still being homeless is another debate entirely,  but I'm sure it won't be long until the "right" to a nice house in the burbs or trendy loft apartment is floated.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »

Why are they communists?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
Because there are so many homeless, no one wants to have public toilets. They’ll congregate around them and do drugs.

This problem is directly caused by a lack of sufficient public toilets.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."