Author Topic: Tech Companies Are Gathering For A Secret Meeting To Prepare Election Strategy  (Read 1026 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kevincollier/tech-companies-are-gathering-for-a-secret-meeting-to

Representatives from a host of the biggest US tech companies, including Facebook and Twitter, have scheduled a private meeting for Friday to share their tactics in preparation for the 2018 midterm elections.

The nuts and bolts of this article sounds like it is focusing on preventing nefarious used of their platforms.  However, with the collective banning of Alex Jones, I figure they have and will go too far.  I was actually curious if their could end up getting an anti-trust investigation started. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I was actually curious if their could end up getting an anti-trust investigation started. 

Only if they were targeting Democrats
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kevincollier/tech-companies-are-gathering-for-a-secret-meeting-to

The nuts and bolts of this article sounds like it is focusing on preventing nefarious used of their platforms.  However, with the collective banning of Alex Jones, I figure they have and will go too far. I was actually curious if their could end up getting an anti-trust investigation started.  

The funny thing is, I'm getting called paranoid less and less lately.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
The funny thing is, I'm getting called paranoid less and less lately.

"Even paranoids have enemies."   ~~~~ Famous paranoid.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Repeat after me:
Social media companies are not subject to the laws of free speech.
You're welcome.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Repeat after me:
You're welcome.
Social media platforms are protected from liability for 3rd party content by BigGov.  IMO, if they are going to get liability protection as a platform, that should limit their ability to filter legal content on their site.  At that point, they are no longer just a platform.  If they want to control the content on their site, they should get no legal protection from the govt.  

Plus, I think their collusion goes a bit beyond just controlling the content on their sites.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
Repeat after me:
You're welcome.

For now.

In addition to what Mech posted (basically if they are going to edit for content, then they are responsible for the content they didn't edit, bring on the Libel suits!) one could make a cogent argument that Social Media is approaching monopoly status for communication and, like the telecoms, might need some free speech enforced on them.  I'm not 100% sure we're there yet, but Market saturation is getting close enough to make the argument.