Author Topic: Antenna coax ???  (Read 802 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Antenna coax ???
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Which is better for DIY coaxial cable F-connectors: screw-on, or crimp-on?

"Better" meaning for ordinary mortals who don't put terminals on every day, for a living. I know the cable guys use crimp-ons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
Re: Antenna coax ???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:14:32 AM »
Crimp-on.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »
Which is better for DIY coaxial cable F-connectors: screw-on, or crimp-on?

Neither. Compression connector for the win.

Cable guys have transitioned to compression connectors because they are wayyyy easier and faster. Crimp connectors, for all the betterness they were 20 years ago vs. available options at the time, pale in the convenience of compression connectors. I bit the bullet a couple years back and got a plier/stripper kit along with a package of ends. It only took one use for all my crimp connectors and (very high dollar) crimping tool to go straight to storage. Strip the wire, stick the connector and wire in the tool, and squeeze. Done. Takes mere seconds and there is no twisting, cussing, cramping fingers, or stabbing yourself in the hand.

However...

If you just need one or two cables a year and they will be light-duty and indoors, go with screw-on. If you don't need custom sizes and can wait a couple days, order from AmazonBasics.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 03:26:33 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
Perhaps I read something else into your "crimp on" descriptor.

I was thinking about these:

https://www.amazon.com/YXGOOD-Adjustable-Compression-Stripper-Connectors/dp/B016BCZATG/ref=sr_1_5?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1537976447&sr=1-5&keywords=coax+crimper&dpID=51X-7FRk0DL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Which I guess is what Brad is referring to.  I bought a kit similar to that Amazon one a couple years ago, and it is well worth the money.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/YXGOOD-Adjustable-Compression-Stripper-Connectors/dp/B016BCZATG/ref=sr_1_5?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1537976447&sr=1-5&keywords=coax+crimper&dpID=51X-7FRk0DL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Which I guess is what Brad is referring to.  I bought a kit similar to that Amazon one a couple years ago, and it is well worth the money.

Having worked with all three, I agree.  Compression connectors for the win.

Had to work with screw on connectors in tech school.  Pure misery. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm a retard with that stuff and the compression connectors are what I used on my data collector antennas at work. Easy even for a dummy like me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »

I was thinking of the older, "crimp-on" connectors, not the newer compression type -- which I didn't know about. I reckon that's the way to go. Thanks for bringing me into the 21st century.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
Yep, dump the crimp-on connectors and go with compression.  So much easier and faster.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.