Author Topic: Texas HS student punished for not standing for pledge of allegiance?  (Read 771 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-attorney-general-pledge-of-allegiance_us_5baba04ce4b082030e773395

I heard about this on another board where I am definitely in the minority politically.  I do not consider huffpo a reliable source, but if there is any truth to this (there probably is a little) I find it Highly Problematicâ„¢  School told the student that parental consent is required to not participate in the pledge of allegiance, mother gave consent, and the school said "not good enough".  The attorney general should know better.
"It's good, though..."

MikeB

• friend
Re: Texas HS student punished for not standing for pledge of allegiance?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/texas-attorney-general-pledge-of-allegiance_us_5baba04ce4b082030e773395

I heard about this on another board where I am definitely in the minority politically.  I do not consider huffpo a reliable source, but if there is any truth to this (there probably is a little) I find it Highly Problematicâ„¢  School told the student that parental consent is required to not participate in the pledge of allegiance, mother gave consent, and the school said "not good enough".  The attorney general should know better.

The blurb I read said I thought that she being was required to recite it. That I agree should not be considered constitutional. Standing silently though vs standing and reciting, I think I could be convinced the school can require.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Texas HS student punished for not standing for pledge of allegiance?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »
I thought I heard there was a previous ruling on this they were going by, but I haven't followed that story.  I also heard the student was only required to stand, not recite the pledge. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge