Author Topic: Can this be real?  (Read 706 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Can this be real?
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
Amazon still has multiple vendors selling the 3-license family pack of Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office-Student-Family-Version/dp/B00337D8U6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1539269248&sr=8-6&keywords=Microsoft+Office+Home+and+Student

A few commenters report that it appears their product keys had been used previously and that they were unable to activate the software. Is it possible that there were THAT many unsold copies of Office 2010 H&S? It seems like this could be just another case of Chinese product piracy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend
Re: Can this be real?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »
More likely that is people selling old technet keys. That was a problem before Microsoft changed their technet policy. People would sign up for $199, then get several dozen Windows and Office keys. Sell them online, then subscribe again with a different email address.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
More likely that is people selling old technet keys. That was a problem before Microsoft changed their technet policy. People would sign up for $199, then get several dozen Windows and Office keys. Sell them online, then subscribe again with a different email address.

These are (or purport to be) the packaged 3-user family packs that come on a physical box with a CD. I have one, in fact, but mine was given to me by a friend who bought it with a Toshiba notebook that he promptly corrupted with multiple viruses, got frustrated, and switched to a Macbook. The copy I have came from the Geek Squad guys and seems to be legitimate -- I have installed it on one additional computer with no problems. But Office is now up to version 2016, and I expect 2019 will be out soon. It stretches credibility that there are still legitimate, unsold copies of the Office 2010 family pack still out there in the wild.

TL:DR -- this isn't a key card download, this is the package with physical media and an activation key on the package.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
These are (or purport to be) the packaged 3-user family packs that come on a physical box with a CD. I have one, in fact, but mine was given to me by a friend who bought it with a Toshiba notebook that he promptly corrupted with multiple viruses, got frustrated, and switched to a Macbook. The copy I have came from the Geek Squad guys and seems to be legitimate -- I have installed it on one additional computer with no problems. But Office is now up to version 2016, and I expect 2019 will be out soon. It stretches credibility that there are still legitimate, unsold copies of the Office 2010 family pack still out there in the wild.

TL:DR -- this isn't a key card download, this is the package with physical media and an activation key on the package.

Office 2019 was released 2 weeks ago :)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
Ships from and sold by NDFcompsurplus.

Not impossible that they're re-using keys.

My boss has a vendor like this he likes to buy from.  I don't trust them at all.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.