Author Topic: US Troops drink Reykjavik out of beer  (Read 543 times)

dogmush

• friend
US Troops drink Reykjavik out of beer
« on: October 28, 2018, 12:25:02 PM »
Apparently, during a recent stop in Iceland for a NATO exercise (Also we're back to exercises in the North Sea, first since the cold war, but that's a different thread) some Sailors and Marines were given weekend liberty in Reykjavik, where they proceeded to drink the city out of beer, necessitating emergency restocking from local brewerys.  :laugh:

It's worth reminding our northern allies, if we will be doing these exercises again, that some stereotypes are based in fact, and they should really stock up before we get there.

Article: https://icelandmag.is/article/bars-downtown-reykjavik-ran-out-beer-serving-thirsty-us-sailors-and-marines?fbclid=IwAR01tSoTSLTDD3qOoqS3hSN-LRRPkg3oxh_YRGU0dHheRzST4Iw1FDmKMh4

The local news site Vísir reports that the brewery Ölgerð Egils Skallagrímssonar, which makes the popular Gull, had to send out emergency supplies to the bars. According to the sources of Vísir the soldiers preferred local beers over imports, and were very willing to sample different micro brews as well as the more popular standard lagers.

I suspect we'll know in a couple months what other local things were sampled...... >:D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: US Troops drink Reykjavik out of beer
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
A couple of months?  Like, 9?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
That place is stupid expensive,  A MEU showing up probably doubled their GDP.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »
Iceland girls? Time to get back in. I am again reminded of our five hour fuel stop in Italy. 3,000 some people, sailors and embarked Marines. No liberty but the fun boss sold the ship's beer supply on the pier. $1 beer, fun boss returned with cardboard box containing 33k in cash.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
I'll speak up for Iceland girls,   Nothing wrong with that  :cool:

They all speak some degree of English,  and really appreciate any attempt you make at Icelandic.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.