Author Topic: Glasses  (Read 838 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Glasses
« on: October 26, 2018, 10:43:34 PM »
So SWMBO is looking to get new eyeglasses.  Normally we've used our VSP on alternating years to get glasses or contacts, but this year they've changed things (again) to be less useful, so we're looking for straight out of pocket purchase.   

Single vision, pretty simple prescription is my understanding.   So who does the APS brain trust recommend (either online or brick and mortar) for glasses?

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Glasses
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 10:52:08 PM »
Costco. I have bought probably 20 pairs there over the years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:57:44 AM »
I've used both FramesDirect.com and Sams Club in-store optical with acceptable results. I'll prob stick with Sam's to have a local presence, and because I found out Nikon Optical does their lens work. I presume the WalMart in-store optical centers are similar.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 01:17:43 AM »
Sam's Club still exists?

They closed all their stores around this corner of the world. I thought they had phased out Sam's Club entirely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

castle key

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
Zenni (online) dirt cheap and same quality I've gotten from stores in the past at huge cost.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
Years ago, Dad always got his through the WalMart Vision Center, so I bet Sam's Club is going to have the same quality with slightly cheaper costs. Dad never had any complaints.

The only reason he didn't do that last time he got glasses is because now he wants special safety glass for his prescription lense and had to go to one of the fancy eyeglass places because WalMart didn't carry stuff like that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:08:39 PM »
Costco or Warby Parker.  We’ve done both.  If you want some degree of input from an employee, Warby Parker has the edge.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
Costco. I have bought probably 20 pairs there over the years.

Ha! Look at 82 eyes over here! Nerd!

And yeah COSTCO is great but I've found Wal-Mart to be fine as well.

Though on my last trip to the Wally vision center the ophthalmologist was Kenyan and he spoke in this Englishy-African accented, fast, sing-songy voice which made him hard to understand. Like I would have to pay intense attention to him and then once he was done speaking play it back in my mind but slower to get his meaning.

He was great at his job though. 

My last couple of pairs were bought at local places, which were great but don't do you any good as you don't live here.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »
I like brick & mortar.  Last prescription was screwed up by the doc - forgot the astigmatism.  First pair of glasses didn't work so good - the eye doc re-did the exam & got it right, Walmart replaced the lenses for free 'cause it was less than 30 days.

Not sure how well that would have went via online stores.

Also, b&m stores will adjust the frames when you pick up the glasses. 

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 01:02:18 AM »
The only reason he didn't do that last time he got glasses is because now he wants special safety glass for his prescription lense and had to go to one of the fancy eyeglass places because WalMart didn't carry stuff like that.

At the thickness of my prescription, they're probably bulletproof anyways.