Author Topic: In which I finally go to Trader Joe's and the end result is...  (Read 7599 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: In which I finally go to Trader Joe's and the end result is...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
My biggest complaint about TJ's is that they seem to seek out stores in shopping zones that have the WORST parking lots in the history of mankind. Too small, hard to get into and out of, and treacherous to maneuver seem to be the standards by which they select stores.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 12:29:07 PM »
I'm pretty tied to shopping at my regular old Kroger supermarket where selection is adequate and pricing is reasonable. My grocery list is organized by aisle and goes in order from the front door to checkout for that store. I can grab a basket and sprint through there pretty fast now on my way home from work.

Aldis I've never cared for. I don't know if it's just the local one but things were constantly moving, poorly organized and often out of stock. If I need one simple staple like eggs I will run through there but prefer not to.

Trader Joe's is nice for a treat, but not really good for filling your fridge & cupboards for the week.

Costco gives me mild anxiety, everything is too large but it is worth it for some things. A lot of things aren't that much cheaper than the supermarket but are higher quality. Comparison shopping there can be tricky though.

Walmart is a no-go for me. I have seen the people of Walmart, I don't care to see anymore
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »
My biggest complaint about TJ's is that they seem to seek out stores in shopping zones that have the WORST parking lots in the history of mankind. Too small, hard to get into and out of, and treacherous to maneuver seem to be the standards by which they select stores.

Word. Though now that one of them moved, the two in Fresno (closest to where I am now) actually have fairly luxurious parking lots. I'm only there once every couple of months though because of the drive. The ones in Santa Barbara were horrible. When I had my F-250, I could never take it to either of them, because with the tiny parking stalls, I would have had to climb in and out of the rear slider. I haven't been to the one in Boise yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »
"Costco gives me mild anxiety, everything is too large but it is worth it for some things. "

My office is literally next to one of the DC metro Costcos. I keep saying I'm going to walk over at lunch and sign back up again, but 2+ years of being here and I've yet to do it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
"Costco gives me mild anxiety, everything is too large but it is worth it for some things. "

My office is literally next to one of the DC metro Costcos. I keep saying I'm going to walk over at lunch and sign back up again, but 2+ years of being here and I've yet to do it.

My mother-in-law buys us the membership as a Christmas gift and we do use it but probably only once every other month. I'm not sure if we really get her money's worth but it is a nice option to have. I try to avoid sodium (blood pressure) and costco just doesn't have a lot of low sodium versions of products.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
Every time I go into Costco, I spend way more than I planned.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
Costco has actually gotten a lot better over the last few years at "putting smalls into bigs". Instead of the Seinfeld 20lb can of tuna, you can buy six packs or whatever. That has helped me out a lot, because there was a lot of stuff I just didn't buy there because it was a "family of ten" single container that I could never use.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »

That's the one in Charlottesville. The Shops At Stonefield. It's got some places in there that I think I would like to shop, however, the whole thing is set up like a nightmare and it's always crowded. I hate these "downtown" theme shopping centers. Just give me an ugly strip mall, please.

And on another Trader Joe's item. A customer came by today and dropped us a box of Brandy Beans. It's a shell of chocolate with a shot of brandy inside. Not bad...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
That's the one in Charlottesville. The Shops At Stonefield. It's got some places in there that I think I would like to shop, however, the whole thing is set up like a nightmare and it's always crowded. I hate these "downtown" theme shopping centers. Just give me an ugly strip mall, please.

And on another Trader Joe's item. A customer came by today and dropped us a box of Brandy Beans. It's a shell of chocolate with a shot of brandy inside. Not bad...

I'd forgotten about those.  Yes, they are worth a trip to TJ's.  (cheap, too!)
"It's good, though..."