Author Topic: 25 year old frozen ham  (Read 25650 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: 25 year old frozen ham
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:10 PM »
That ham can't be any worse than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoHuMwZwTk

That dude is a lot braver than I am.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
The ham is thawing.  It looks fine thru the shrink wrap.  Unfortunately the label does not have a date on it.  It says it's from the Rainbow Foods store at the Crossroads shopping center.  (I thought it was from the old Econo Foods.)  Now I need to research when Rainbow was at Crossroads...  The ham may not be quite as old as I thought, but I'm pretty sure I bought it in the 20th century.

ETA: there's a registry number on the Hormel label.  So I will email/call Hormel and see if they can tell me when it was cured.  Might be fun to take the label to the SPAM museum and ask them there.  It's not far from here
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:08:53 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Here's Bob eating the feet from his ham.

https://youtu.be/0Hzq49kKuSo
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
LMFAO!
PS: I WILL eat those neon-pink gas station pickled pig's feet myself...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
Down the friggin rabbit hole..  Just watched that redneck eat some kind of hot pepper and puke in a bucket for 8 min.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
So, I've been dying to know if this thing was actually edible...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
So, I've been dying to know if this thing was actually edible...

I'm thawing it in the fridge, so it's thawing slowly.  It was still partially frozen this morning but it feels thawed now; I will open it tomorrow.  I will also call Hormel with the registry number and see if they can tell me a cure date.  I just finished brewing a batch of beer and cleaning up, otherwise I'd open the ham tonight.  (where's the :lazy: smiley?)
"It's good, though..."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: 25 year old frozen ham
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »
Down the friggin rabbit hole..  Just watched that redneck eat some kind of hot pepper and puke in a bucket for 8 min.
You should see the one where he waxes his balls.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »
[ignoring that last post]  I unwrapped the ham this morning.  I sent an email form to Hormel requesting information and should get a reply back in a few days.  I took pictures of the labels, and of the unwrapped ham, and will post them when I figure out where Android stores them in the cloud and how to get a shareable link.

The ham has no freezer-burn, and it smells like ham.  There was about an ounce of juice in the package, which I think is normal.  The dogs are very interested in it.  My brother says he thinks it's going to taste like "freezer", but I don't think cryovac plastic is that permeable.

Now to go slice into it...

"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
I got a reply back already from Hormel:
Mr. Zxcvbob,

Thank you for contacting us.

Art Goembel was the Curemaster from 1990-2001. We would not recommend using the ham. For best flavor and quality you should only freeze the ham for up to 2 months.

Please visit our web site for suggestions and recipes featuring our products.

I sliced a little piece off of the ham and fried it.  The texture might be a bit off from freezing, but it tastes fine.  It wasn't that good a ham to start with.  I've cubed a pound of it to saute with a chopped onion and bayleaf, then make navy bean soup on it.

I'm also looking for some good ham meatball recipes (using a mixture of ham and ground beef), and trying to figure out whether to drag out the meat grinder or just use a food processor.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
So, "only" 18 - 28 year old ham huh. Yeah, why not?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 03:19:24 PM »
Speaking as a trained scientist and risk manager, I would have fed a test sample to the dogs first. Or possibly the spouse, depending on where she rates versus the dogs.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
I got a reply back already from Hormel:
I sliced a little piece off of the ham and fried it.  The texture might be a bit off from freezing, but it tastes fine.  It wasn't that good a ham to start with.  I've cubed a pound of it to saute with a chopped onion and bayleaf, then make navy bean soup on it.

I'm also looking for some good ham meatball recipes (using a mixture of ham and ground beef), and trying to figure out whether to drag out the meat grinder or just use a food processor.

And now we wait....

[barf] [barf]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Speaking as a trained scientist and risk manager, I would have fed a test sample to the dogs first. Or possibly the spouse, depending on where she rates versus the dogs.

Don't you dare test it on those poor dogs!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »
I could not help but notice that it has now been over 24 hours since he tried the ham, and no followup posts from zxcvbob.  Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: 25 year old frozen ham
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
I could not help but notice that it has now been over 24 hours since he tried the ham, and no followup posts from zxcvbob.  Hmmm.
Probably making Mike's recent prep look tame

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Im seeing no upside and a lot of potential downside to this self experimentation.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
Sorry to disappoint y'all, (no I'm not) but the beans I cooked last night with a bunch of ham in them turned out really good. 

I sliced a 1/4" thick steak off the ham this morning and fried it, and I just put biscuits in the oven.  I have nibbled on the fried ham while waiting for the biscuits, and it's not great but there's nothing really wrong with it except it's too lean and a little too salty.

Still working on a ham ball recipe; combining meatloaf, ham loaf, and meatball recipes in my head.  I think 2 lbs of ham and 1 lb of 80% lean hamburger (and bread crumbs, 2 eggs, grated onion, mustard, etc) might work, but I'm a little worried about all the salt.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
  If you put it on youtube ( next time ) you can be a ham while eating ham!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
Take a toilet pick a few hours after and it will be a SPAM post!
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2018, 11:55:33 AM »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2019, 01:47:16 AM »
I'll believe it when someone eats it and survives.

For general edibility testing purposes, I'd also require them also not throwing up or developing an intestinal illness from it, even if they survive.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/worlds-oldest-edible-ham?

Oldest edible ham

I've been to see that fine thing in person, you might as well braise some Egyptian mummy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
Well it’s been a few days. .....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk