Author Topic: Chinese Air Superiority  (Read 1783 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chinese Air Superiority
« on: December 02, 2018, 10:24:22 AM »
Interesting article on how the Chinese are shooting for air superiority over the US, mostly by copying much of US strategy.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/11/29/china-aims-to-defeat-the-us-air-force-without-firing-a-shot-heres-how/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Chinese Air Superiority
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
Interesting article on how the Chinese are shooting for air superiority over the US, mostly by copying  stealing much of US strategy technology.

There's the truth.  The Chinese (and Russia) have learned that stealing technology is quicker and cheaper than developing technology.  Now all they have to do is build the planes.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
Air Superiority where and when?  If they are talking about the South China Sea or Taiwan, I can see that.  But yeah, they have to build them and I figure we would have to send naval or other forces into the area. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:33:34 PM »
The picture with the article shows the gaping flaw in the plan. Crews marching to the bombers. Our flight crews, they don't march. Go ahead and tell them to, I'll watch. China won't allow the tactical flexibility to fully use any weapons they get. Terrifying zerg rush yeah. I hope that our first option is B-2 airfield be gone at the hint of any trouble.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
They don't have a Space Force though.
Their 'air superiority' won't be very superior when we smoke them in their hangars with 'Rods of God.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
There's the truth.  The Chinese (and Russia) have learned that stealing technology is quicker and cheaper than developing technology.  Now all they have to do is build the planes.
and train the pilots.  That will be the hardest thing to match America on

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
and train the pilots.  That will be the hardest thing to match America on

Not so much anymore. The latest out of DARPA is squadrons of one or two pilots and a swarm of linked drones making up the remainder of the squadron. Steal or copy the algorithms and you match the US. Or better, since the Chinese seem to be as good or better at coding than we are. Even then, if your pilots aren't as good but you have thousands of expendable kamikaze drones...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
........thousands of expendable kamikaze drones..
How effect would that actually be?  How far away from their base could they operate?  How would they actually deploy thousands or even hundreds of drones? 

I have doubts as to how good such a plan would actually be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »
Last I checked, the USAF was the largest air force in the world. The second largest air force is the US Navy.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »
........thousands of expendable kamikaze drones..
How effect would that actually be?  How far away from their base could they operate?  How would they actually deploy thousands or even hundreds of drones? 

I have doubts as to how good such a plan would actually be.

...and satellite linked.
SPACE FORCE.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
The Air Force Loyal Wingman concept program looks pretty effective.

https://www.defensenews.com/unmanned/2018/03/26/check-out-this-new-video-with-the-air-forces-coolest-future-tech/

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/unmanned-unleashed/2017/03/30/dod-weapons-designer-swarming-teams-of-drones-will-dominate-future-wars/
Cool.  Drone swarm versus drone swarm would be interesting to see.  I assume swarms of anti-aircraft missiles or drones are part of the plans also.

I guess the difficulty will be getting the swarms to and from the target without putting your deployment vehicle in harms way.