Author Topic: Trailer heating recommendations  (Read 2847 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Trailer heating recommendations
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 03:01:19 PM »
Yeah, I think something a bit more polished than the Mr. Heater is in order, but I'll limp by with it and a 10# tank and hose until I'm ready to decide on a specific product.  I really do like the idea of a ducted solution of some sort.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »
Too bad you can't find an free older camper and gut some of the stuff out of it to put into your new trailer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
I'm shocked that none of you asshats, not a single one, recommended burning floppy disks...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
What are you, a gorram dinosaur or something?  Who besides you has enough floppy disks to warm a room for any length of time? :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »
What are you, a gorram dinosaur or something?  Who besides you has enough floppy disks to warm a room for any length of time? :lol:

Yeah.

It's CD's now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 04:42:17 PM »
Given that it is a custom trailer, a thought that came to me was a thermal mass solution.  It sounds like you already have the space under your trailer being used, but I had the idea of the thermal mass heater:

https://richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 05:16:16 PM »
Um... that looks a tad too heavy for my poor jeep to tow.  Neat idea for a hunting shack or something like that though.

ETA:  Something I have considered is using the water pump, the hot water heater, and the 19 gallon water tank as a thermal mass.  Recirculate the tank through the pump and into the hot water heater and back into the tank, bringing the whole tank up to 100+ degrees F.  That would warm the floor since the tank is between the wheels, and warm the interior, and protect the tank from freezing.  But I think the way I built the floor has too much insulation between the tank and the interior for that to be effective, more of the heat would bleed to the outdoors than into the trailer.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:28:39 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 05:59:16 PM »
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of maximizing heater efficiency by routing the heat so it warms up your bed before exiting to either the cabin air or outside.

The mass allows you to not have to run a heater all the time. 

If you can get an efficient vented solution going, you can afford to seal up and insulate the rest of the space a lot more without moisture becoming an issue.

As for your idea with the water tank, that's kind of what I was suggesting with the rocket stove.  Except what I'd do is run loops of pex between the floor and floor insulation.  Enough loops and you can just ignore the water tank, just hook up a heater.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:05 AM »
Yeah.

It's CD's now.

Brad

Hum... trying to figure out what those CDs are possessing...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
Build a man a fire and he's warm for a night.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
Something like so:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-For-Car-Truck-Motor-homes-Boats-Bus-Van/352233358455?hash=item5202be8477:g:VJoAAOSwvApaMlpF

Seems like it'd require fabrication as well as a 12VDC source, but fuel is easy to come by.

Or you could try running diesel in a kerosene heater like this dude does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2dAx2fn9s8

A new version of the old Janitrol heater.  https://janitrol.aero/aircraft-heaters/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
Years ago I used t do boat work, including installing a lot of ESPAR forced air diesel burners. This type of unit has a lot of parts  to go wrong. Given that you already need a propane source, and that you contemplate a propane reefer, it would n]make sense to keep it simple and use a propane fired burner of some sort. It will be a much cleaner burning unit as well. The projected insulation improvements may mean a heater with much less output would suffice.....in a small room, the right partner can keep it warm....... =D