Author Topic: Another Dumbass Article From "The Atlantic"  (Read 2984 times)

Pb

• friend
Re: Another Dumbass Article From "The Atlantic"
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »
Paper towels are a lot more hygienic than a dirty wet rag or sponge for cleaning, that is for sure.  Dishrags / sponges are probably some of the filthiest things in your house.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2018, 09:26:47 AM »
Helping veer my own thread, Pocket apparently recently started doing "sponsored articles". I turned those off.

I found out about sponsored articles when I was going through Pocket settings a couple of days ago. Why? Because I read a topic in the Mess Hall on HEB stores, and 15 minutes later there was a pocket recommendation on a news story on HEB stores. Coincidence? I think not.

I have been keeping Pocket on kinda because I was finding it interesting to see it continually recommend stories on stuff I don't like (obviously partially brought on by me clicking on them when I see them, think "WTF is this *expletive deleted*it about now!?!" It's getting creepy enough now though that I think I might turn it off. Same with Google going through my browsing habits to recommend stories.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
I got the HEB story when I opened a new tab in Firefox.  It was only later that I saw it posted in the Mess Hall.  From what we've discussed here in the past, I know that someone else using firefox is getting the same "recommendations" as me.

SO I think you may have gotten the HEB story without seeing it in the mess hall (it's the same story, BTW).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »
Well, we have the best of all worlds in our house.  We have rolls of paper towels, we have dishrags and we have sponges.  Paper towels come in handy for a lot of stuff that sponges and dishrags won't do well.  In addition to what has been discussed, putting them over a dish in the microwave.  Wiping up paint or solvent or gas or oil.  Wiping up sticky, gooey stuff like grout, sealant, glue.  Blowing your nose in an emergency.  I'd say paper towels are one of the most useful products for all sorts of various needs.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »
I would be more interested to find a smart and useful article from The Atlantic.   That mag lost it’s  way years ago.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
I would be more interested to find a smart and useful article from The Atlantic.   That mag lost it’s  way years ago.

Have you looked at a GQ or Esquire lately?  Gag a maggot.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
I got the HEB story when I opened a new tab in Firefox.  It was only later that I saw it posted in the Mess Hall.  From what we've discussed here in the past, I know that someone else using firefox is getting the same "recommendations" as me.

SO I think you may have gotten the HEB story without seeing it in the mess hall (it's the same story, BTW).

Ah, okay. I was getting paranoid there.  =D

I know you and me get a lot of the same crappy recommendations. I still say that they push commie stuff. I've never gotten an article from them from a news source or on a subject that I would read (other than something with the opposite viewpoint as me). Even Google news throws me a bone once in a while.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2018, 08:35:42 AM »
Even Sports Illustrated has lost it’s reason for being

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
Severe thread veer.

For those using Firefox, when you get recommendations for stupid Atlantic articles, do you also get recommends for "How to chose to the perfect diamond/engagement ring " ??

My initial read on that was "Severed head Vir".
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
My initial read on that was "Severed head Vir".
 =D

:laugh:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »

Even Wired has gone full blown TDS:

https://www.wired.com/story/mueller-investigation-trump-russia-complete-guide/

Sorry, when I look to Wired expect stories about tech and tech developments.  How come no stories about the Anti-Trump bias in tech companies like Google and Facebook, et al ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.