Author Topic: The best freaking chili I have ever had...  (Read 10596 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The best freaking chili I have ever had...
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I saw on You Tube. I changed it a bit to adapt it to my chili style. This Is for the crock pot but can be made on the stove top.

It's long, but the results were nothing short of absolutely incredible. The flavor is head and shoulders above anything I've either made or had before.

Prior to starting, fill the bowl of your crock pot with hot water and set it to high to preheat.

Step 1

2 pounds ground turkey
2 packs regular chili seasoning mix (McCormick’s or WalMart) This is in addition to the extra spice added later
2 cans petite diced tomatoes with oregano and garlic
1 can tomato sauce
1 large onion, medium dice
2 to 3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 medium jalapeno peppers, diced

Brown the turkey in oil in a hot pan.
When turkey is mostly browned, move it to the side of the pan, turn the heat down, and add the onion along with a large pinch of salt.
Sweat the onion until it turns translucent.
Add the garlic and cook a few more minutes, being careful not to burn it.
Add the jalapeno peppers
When the peppers have softened, add the chili spice packets and the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Stir to combine well.
Turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat down and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.

Step 2.

Drain and rinse 3 cans of beans. I prefer a combination of black and white navy.
Empty the crock pot and add the chili base, leaving the heat on high.
Add the beans.
Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours.

Step 3.

3 T Chili powder
3 T Onion power
1 T Garlic powder
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried basil
Rosemary (optional)
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t Cumin
2 packets Sazon Goya
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Juice and zest of 1 lemon

Add all juice, zest, and spices, mix well, turn heat back to low, and cook for an additional 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.

Note: If at this point your chili is too watery, leave the heat on high and take the lid off for about an hour.

Step 4.

About an hour before serving, chop a large handful of cilantro, including stems. Mix into the chili.

Serve with additional cilantro, onions, sharp cheddar cheese, or sour cream.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: The best freaking chili I have ever had...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
... and here I thought I was thinking outside the box using Sazon in my chili.

Nothing new under the sun.

I mix up my own blend though, I don’t use store bought.

Instead of taco seasoning I’ll use my Sazon and add a bit of heat with pepper flakes.

I’ve heard it is good as a rib rub also but haven’t tried it yet.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
The first ingredient in the Goya sazon I bought?

MSG...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
Up until this very moment of reading this recipe, I had never heard of Sazon Goya.  It sounds interesting from what I read on Google, so I am going to have to look for it in the Hispanic aisle of the store.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
It is pretty easy to mix up your own without the msg.

The only ingredient that is unusual and hard to find is ground annatto.

A nearby Mexican grocery carries it in stock.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Ron’s Sazon

1 tbs ground coriander

1 tbs ground cumin

1 tbs ground annatto

1 tbs garlic powder

2 tsp oregano

1 tsp black pepper

Salt to taste, I use 2 tsp. per batch

I’ll add 2 tbs of Sazon to 1lb ground beef for taco meat, adding water as needed while cooking.

Originally I made this up to use as a rub for steak taco’s. Works great for that also.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
Nice. I'm going to give that a try.

As for the Annatto.... Amazon.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
Only problems I see are
1. It doesn't start with bacon. (Mine does)
And 2. Turkey? What's with that? Should be venison or beef.
(A minor 3. the apparent omission of a dollop of chopped green onion and sour cream on top just before serving.)
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »
Maybe you missed this?

"Serve with additional cilantro, onions, sharp cheddar cheese, or sour cream."

As for your other complaints...

AH MAH GERDS! ITS AINTNOTGOT NO BEEFZ!

Yeah, some of us don't like ground beef all that much. Pardon me for having differing tastes.

As for bacon, bacon is good, but I still don't understand why people get their rods so rammed for bacon.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 10:53:15 PM »
I never used ground beef. Always cut small cubes of venison or beef, tossed with flour salt and pepper before searing in bacon grease.
And yes I missed the part with the sour cream etc my apologies

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 07:18:40 AM »
"Always cut small cubes of venison or beef, tossed with flour salt and pepper before searing in bacon grease."

OK, good point, I have made it with cubed chuck before, and that's OK. But, I still like turkey better.

Maybe I'll make a batch with chicken thighs this weekend...  >:D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
I haven't made chili in a while; think I'll make some this weekend.  I don't really have a recipe I just wing it, but it goes something like this:

I simmer some dried peppers (ancho and guajillo, puya, or New Mexico), then blenderize them with the cooking water to make a thin paste.  That's most of the flavoring.  I adjust with garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and a little black pepper.  I add onions, of course, and usually some beans and maybe a little corn.  Sometimes a little canned tomatoes but not much.

I will stop by Aldi  and see if they have carne picata (sp?) meat, and use a mixture of that and hamburger from the freezer.

The peppers are also good poured over chicken thighs and baked.  Throw in a couple of garlic cloves when you stew the peppers. Also, strain the seeds and skins out with a sieve after you blend it.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
I've never simmered the dried peppers, I'll have to try that. I frequently toast them, chop them up then add to the onions etc that cook up before adding the meat.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
Temperature is going to absolutely bottom out starting Sunday.

That means it's time for another pot of chili.

For this one I'm going to soak the beans.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
Turkey chili - this place has really gone downhill.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 07:29:52 AM »
Turkey chili - this place has really gone downhill.

We let you in here, which means that there never were really any standards in the first place.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:31 AM »
Second pot of this chili made yesterday, and once again, it's absolutely awesome.

Simply incredible.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
Second pot of this chili made yesterday, and once again, it's absolutely awesome.

Simply incredible.

With or without msg?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »
With MSG in the Sazon. I'll get around to making my own Sazon at some point in the future.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 09:17:46 AM »
I put 2 or 3 of the small beef bullion cubes in mine instead of using salt.  I don't know if they have MSG or not (I don't think so, but they kinda taste like it)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »
Don't know if bullion cubes have MSG in them or not. I generally use the Goya chicken bullion powder.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
The second ingredient in Goya's powdered chicken bullion is MSG.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
I made this again over the weekend.

Every time I make it I mess with the spicing, but stick with the basic frame work of the recipe.

This time I used 2 packets of chili mix and added in a LOT of extra spices -- onion powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, and smoked paprika. I also poured the spice mix in with the meat and let it sear. That seemed to make the flavors a bit brighter.

I also added a healthy blast of cayenne pepper powder and also 2 chopped chipotles (should have added 3).

End result was what I think was the best batch so far.

It did get a bit watery in the crock pot, so during the last 20 minutes or so of cooking I added a quarter cup of medium grind corn mean.

Served with an extra blast of pepper sauce, some sharp cheddar cheese and a corn muffin, it was about as perfect a bowl of chili as I've ever had.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
Hey Mike, Amazon has caught up with us and now has multiple Sazon seasoning blends.

If you were concerned about MSG you can now find it without easily.

https://www.amazon.com/sazon-seasoning/s?k=sazon+seasoning

I'm still blending it myself, at least until I run out of ground annatto.