Author Topic: Brave browser  (Read 4850 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Brave browser
« on: March 08, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »
Has any body had any experience using this browser?

I was reading an article about something else and this browser was mentioned in the article comments.

I downloaded the mobil app to my iPhone and seems pretty slick.

Has built in ad blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Brave browser
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=50646.0

I've used it here and there for the past few years. It's OK, but I like Firefox and Duck Duck Go better.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 10:15:53 AM »
Brave is my primary,  I'm happy with it.  Only issue thus far is that it doesn't play well with Kaspersky.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:23:52 AM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=50646.0

I've used it here and there for the past few years. It's OK, but I like Firefox and Duck Duck Go better.

I’ve settled on Duck Duck Go also.

Brave was ok on my desktop but it didn’t play nice on my IPad mini for some reason.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
Use Brave on Android.

Tried it on Linux, firefox stuff didn't import well, and updating through the apt repository was very slow. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
I've been using Pale Moon for a couple weeks now.

It's a fork off of Mozzilla Firefox.

Firefox lost me when they went SJW goofy. Plus it started getting bloated and slow on my old machine.

Pale Moon has been running pretty smooth so far with no glitches.

http://www.palemoon.org/

I have it on a laptop so if you are only looking for a mobile device browser ... nevermind :)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
Firefox lost me when they went SJW goofy. Plus it started getting bloated and slow on my old machine.

Remember when Mozilla sacked their head, for having donated some of his own money to a Calif defense of marriage iniative?    He's the CEO of Brave.

I have been messing a bit more with Brave on the desktop, lately.  Hampered by it not being really available on straight up Debian linux.  (Is on Ubuntu and Mint.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 02:01:33 PM »
Remember when Mozilla sacked their head, for having donated some of his own money to a Calif defense of marriage iniative?    He's the CEO of Brave.

I have been messing a bit more with Brave on the desktop, lately.  Hampered by it not being really available on straight up Debian linux.  (Is on Ubuntu and Mint.)

I did not know he was running Brave. I'll have to check it out.  I too am tired of Firefox's little SJW messages to me all the time. If Brave has all the features of Firefox without the nagging and judging, I think I'd like it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »
I did not know he was running Brave. I'll have to check it out.  I too am tired of Firefox's little SJW messages to me all the time. If Brave has all the features of Firefox without the nagging and judging, I think I'd like it.

What messages? I don't get any.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
What messages? I don't get any.

They show up on the Firefox home page.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »

"Recommended by Pocket"?   I turn that off.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
"Recommended by Pocket"?   I turn that off.

No, on the bottom - "Firefox messages".

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 05:46:26 PM »
No, on the bottom - "Firefox messages".

Whatever it is, I don't think I see it.  Just something pestering me to get a Firefox account.  Which is probably "snippets", which can also be turned off.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »
Whatever it is, I don't think I see it.  Just something pestering me to get a Firefox account.  Which is probably "snippets", which can also be turned off.

I know it can all be turned off (or just set another home page), but in some ways I like to be aware of that stuff so I can make decisions on what platforms I want to support, and which platforms may be trying to bias my thoughts.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

Has built in ad blocker.

Does it play well with news website that get pissy when you have your adblocker on and won't let you continue unless you whitelist the website.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 06:16:13 PM »
Is Duck Duck Go a browser now also?  I thought it was just a search engine.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
Is Duck Duck Go a browser now also?  I thought it was just a search engine.

I think it is a mobile devise browser only.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »

You use the Firefox home page? I set my home page to Drudge Reports. I can't remember when I last saw the Firefox home page.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
You use the Firefox home page? I set my home page to Drudge Reports. I can't remember when I last saw the Firefox home page.

I've got "new tab" set to show that (set to show "top sites" I have visited, only), so I see it all the time.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »
I actually really missed using Firefox.

Pale Moon is nice because I get my Firefox feel without supporting the Mozilla SJW bs.

It's like the old school Firefox not the more recent upgrades.

I may put Brave on this laptop also. It worked fine on my old Windows PC that went belly up on me.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »
I actually really missed using Firefox.

Pale Moon is nice because I get my Firefox feel without supporting the Mozilla SJW bs.

It's like the old school Firefox not the more recent upgrades.

I may put Brave on this laptop also. It worked fine on my old Windows PC that went belly up on me.

I don't care for the "new" Firefox, either. I'm currently using Waterfox, but I may check out Pale Moon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
Started using Brave yesterday and one oddity I've noticed is that Amazon is always the first link on the home page and stays there after only going there once
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
I don't care for the "new" Firefox, either. I'm currently using Waterfox, but I may check out Pale Moon.

Ever notice that some of these browser names sound like beer brands?
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
Just download the Brave browser yesterday and like it.  I am going to stop using Firefox for personal use with what the Mozilla CEO said.  https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:54 AM »
I got a new computer last month, and as part of my "clean migration", I've been trying different browsers a week at a time (been on firefox for years and years). I'm on Brave this week and I like it enough I might be done testing.

So far the only negative I have found with my strict-ish settings is it locks up on Fox Business when videos there try to run (I have autoplay blocked for all sites). Doesn't do it anywhere else. I'm thinking I'll just keep MS Edge to open when I want to see something that doesn't play nice with Brave's security, but otherwise use Brave as the main browser.

Nothing to do with the effectiveness of the Browser, but I really like the Brave stats window just to get a visual of just how many ads are blocked and just how many resources they would have taken up if they were allowed. Really lets you see just how invasive the ad model is.