Author Topic: Brave browser  (Read 4859 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Brave browser
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 10:57:56 PM »
They still tick along.

3 or 4 years ago, a customer of mine that has a shop full of CNC machines handed me an old full height 5.25" 10 megabyte MFM Seagate hard disk.  It came out of one of his machines.  It might have been the machine he asked me about once: "Can you do anything with PDP-11?"

A friend of mine has a couple of CNC mills and asked me to get the machines up and going, so I had to recall my DOS 6.22 knowledge.

ETA: an e
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:10:10 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2021, 06:54:45 AM »
I still have old DOS printed manuals from way back.  I imagine that's all available online now, no?

I sure liked a number of the renaming functions in DOS.

I still have the DOS System on 3 1/2" floppies.

I also have two of the old Compaq luggables with 5 1/4 drives and 20 and 40 MB seagates.  I think all they need is new BIOS batteries. and I'm pretty sure I still have a DOS machine ready to go except for a monitor.  I also have a bunch of printed reference works for a bunch of drives.... "landing zones," and the like, along with Floppy repair disks.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »
I still have old DOS printed manuals from way back.  I imagine that's all available online now, no?

I also have two of the old Compaq luggables with 5 1/4 drives and 20 and 40 MB seagates.  I think all they need is new BIOS batteries. and I'm pretty sure I still have a DOS machine ready to go except for a monitor.  I also have a bunch of printed reference works for a bunch of drives.... "landing zones," and the like, along with Floppy repair disks.

Got a copy of Spinrite? Used to be the tool for aligning floppy discs and fixing borked hard drives.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »

I also have two of the old Compaq luggables with 5 1/4 drives and 20 and 40 MB seagates.  I think all they need is new BIOS batteries. and I'm pretty sure I still have a DOS machine ready to go except for a monitor.  I also have a bunch of printed reference works for a bunch of drives.... "landing zones," and the like, along with Floppy repair disks.

Zenith's version of DOS could install on larger hard drives than was the usual limit back in the day.  (Fallible memory says 20MB C: was the limit 1990-ish, and you would use weird formatting software to get around that.)

MS DOS 4 broke that limit.  DOS 5 was a whole lot more useful than 4.  6 had a reputation for being a disaster, but I never had a problem with it.  6.1 was the final M$ version.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2021, 04:55:02 PM »
Got a copy of Spinrite? Used to be the tool for aligning floppy discs and fixing borked hard drives.

Aligning floppy drives, oh, I remember doing that, though it was slightly before my time getting paid for this. 

And I remember full height Shugart 5.25 drives had a label with a strobe pattern on them, for tweaking speed.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2021, 01:29:13 PM »
It's time to deplatform Mozilla.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/

Yup. I'm done with Firefox. As mentioned elsewhere, I've been trying different browsers weekly on my new computer. I will probably try a couple more, like Waterfox, but I think I'm settled on Brave.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2021, 01:57:10 PM »
I've switched to Brave about a couple of weeks ago and really can't tell any difference in daily use. Maybe Brave feels a little leaner because I don't have all those extensions installed.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2021, 02:15:01 PM »
It's time to deplatform Mozilla.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/

Yup, they lost me with -
But as reprehensible as the actions of Donald Trump are, the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality.

*expletive deleted*ck off Mozilla
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2021, 02:20:43 PM »
I've switched to Brave about a couple of weeks ago and really can't tell any difference in daily use. Maybe Brave feels a little leaner because I don't have all those extensions installed.

The only issues I've had, and it's because of my stricter security settings, is some sites won't display correctly or will lock up. Fox Business  and twitchy are examples. For that I have just been opening them in Edge, and for other sites, I guess I simply don't care as much about the internet as I did, because if I can't see them correctly, I just move on. I might replace Edge with Waterfox as the "backup browser", though surprisingly, MS has not been nearly as SJW as the other tech giants.

Mozilla absolutely disappointed me more than any of the others. I guess I always expected the totalitarianism stuff from the likes of Google, but I've used Mozilla since the Netscape days, and more than any of the others, they always made a big show of how they were about internet freedom. They are turning into the worst of the bunch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2021, 02:26:29 PM »
I've heard it's a good idea to keep Google Chrome, and use it only when you visit a google website, and this will isolate them some from your info when you use Brave.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
I've heard it's a good idea to keep Google Chrome, and use it only when you visit a google website, and this will isolate them some from your info when you use Brave.

At the risk of a tangent, I'm looking at ways to still use some of the google conveniences, like google nav, but isolating the google tools from everything else I do. Maybe one of my old smart phones on wireless or something. That way I completely air gap it from my main computer and can take it in the car.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that the Brave browser sure freezes up a lot.  It eventually recovers, but it takes several seconds and happens over and over.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:33 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that the Brave browser sure freezes up a lot.  It eventually recovers, but it takes several seconds and happens over and over.

I have not seen this.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2021, 11:48:29 AM »

Have had zero issues
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
I've not used Brave that much but I've not noticed any performance issues at all with it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
Ditto, to all the folks with no problem yet with Brave.  No problems yet.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »
No problems at all with Brave, I use it on a workstation and a tablet.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:03 PM »

I haven't noticed that, either, but I used to have that problem with Firefox.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
Well, crud, that must mean that I have a unique program or extension that is not playing well with Brave, and those can be the devil to track down.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2021, 01:12:41 PM »
If I leave a window open and use another browser, when I come back it will do that once in a great while.

I should probably make it a point to shut my browsers down when not using them.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2021, 02:27:26 PM »
No problems at all with Brave, I use it on a workstation and a tablet.

Ha! When I first glanced at this post I thought it said "I use it on a workstation and toilet"   :rofl:
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »
Ha! When I first glanced at this post I thought it said "I use it on a workstation and toilet"   :rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2021, 03:35:46 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »
My Brave browser has been fine. The only time I had any issues was when I needed to reboot my notebook as I had run a ton of stuff for days without a reboot and ya know how Windows can get...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!