Author Topic: Mueller is done  (Read 23937 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Mueller is done
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2019, 01:12:10 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
He really is done

"I'm speaking out today because our investigation is complete," Mueller said. "We are formally closing the Special Counsel's office and I am resigning from the Department of Justice to return private life."
"I hope and expect this to be the only time that I will speak to you in this manner. I am making that decision myself," Mueller said. "I do not believe it is appropriate for me to speak further about the investigation."

"The report is my testimony...Our written work speaks for itself," he continued. "Any testimony would not go beyond our report...We chose those words carefully."

But then he throws the media a bone

"I will close by reiterating the central allegation of our indictments, that there were multiple, systematic efforts to interfere in our election. And that allegation deserves the attention of every American,” Mueller said.

Mueller: The Special Counsel Report Speaks for Itself, I'm Not Commenting Further
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/05/29/robert-mueller-statement-n2547007
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »
From the AP
In short: No evidence proves he's guilty 

WASHINGTON (AP) — Special counsel Robert Mueller said Wednesday he believed he was constitutionally barred from charging President Donald Trump with a crime but pointedly emphasized that his report did not exonerate the president. He cautioned lawmakers who have been negotiating for his public testimony that he would not go beyond his report in the event he appears before Congress.
Trump, who has repeatedly and falsely claimed that Mueller's report cleared him of obstruction of justice, modified that contention somewhat shortly after the special counsel's remarks. He tweeted, "There was insufficient evidence and therefore, in our Country, a person is innocent. The case is closed!"

Mueller: Special counsel probe did not exonerate Trump
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/mueller-special-counsel-probe-did-not-exonerate-trump/article_8d8d0ae7-4146-5eca-8223-bd94090dba17.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
It really isn't the prosecutor's job to exonerate someone. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
And proof of innocence can be difficult to establish - for example, how many people who drive the typical 10k - 20k miles per year can prove they never exceeded the speed limit in 2016?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »

Unless the prosecutor is Comey and the someone is Hillary...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
Comey doesn't want to go out like a kamikaze
- Calvin and Hobbes

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »
They are all but coming out and daring Nancy to pull the trigger on impeachment.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »
He really is done

He may be done but the news media idiots aren't.  :facepalm:

How NBC managed to turn a 9 minute speech that could be summed up in less than two minutes into almost a full hour Special News Report is really obnoxious.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
He may be done but the news media idiots aren't.  :facepalm:

How NBC managed to turn a 9 minute speech that could be summed up in less than two minutes into almost a full hour Special News Report is really obnoxious.

Remember, these people don't understand summaries. They thought Barr's summary should have been the entire, non-redacted document.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »
I am catching some of the fallout on the online news sources. The many Senators (D) are all calling for impeachment proceedings knowing that they will mostly be safe from the fallout because they aren't the one bringing it home, they will just be able to say we could not succeed because of the other side of the aisle. I think they think having the House run this up the pole is as good as an all out win. I think they misjudge us uneducated, smelly Walmart shoppers.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
I guess the new norm is going to be convicting anyone who can't prove they didn't commit a crime. 
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
I guess the new norm is going to be convicting anyone who can't prove they didn't commit a crime. 

The facts of the case are irrelevant, it is the seriousness of the allegations that matter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2019, 08:46:47 PM »
On the other side of things, I really hope Trump does a scorched earth campaign against the federal employees who pushed this stuff.  I would love to see a smack down of elected officials also, but I think the most important part is setting an example of the federal employees who effectively participated in an attempted coup.  His order to declassify everything would be a good start.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
Remember, these people don't understand summaries. They thought Barr's summary should have been the entire, non-redacted document.

And yet they're perfectly happy with certain other "summaries": ["Some people did something"]

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »
It appears that Mueller really is done -- or, at least, he wants to be:

https://www.newser.com/story/275811/muellers-2-years-of-silence-are-about-to-end.html

He also made clear that "any testimony from [our] office would not go beyond our report. ... We chose those words carefully and the work speaks for itself," and that he would not provide information beyond what has already been made public in any appearance before Congress: "Beyond what I've said here today and what is contained in my written report, I do not believe it is appropriate for me to speak further."

Here's the take-away for me: We have a legal system that says a person is considered to be innocent until proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be guilty. Them's the rules. Mueller said:

He made clear that his office "concluded we would not reach a determination one way or the other about whether the president committed a crime,"

So, irrespective of whether or not Mueller's team had enough proof of Trump's innocence to come out and say so unequivocally, the fact is they also didn't have enough proof of guilt to say so. So, the way the system works, if a special prosecutor's team could not uncover enough evidence after two years of digging to say with any degree of certainty that they thought Trump was guilty ... then by the rules of our system Trump is innocent.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2019, 01:37:00 AM »
The article goes on about some of what the report said about the FBI and it ain't good.

WSJ Columnist: This Is What's Being Glossed Over In The Mueller Report On Russian Collusion
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2019/03/25/wsj-columnist-this-is-whats-being-glossed-over-in-the-mueller-report-on-russian-collusion-n2543660

This was in there

I never thought I’d see the day where Democrats are visibly upset that the President of The United States DIDN’T collude with the Russians.
    — Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) March 25, 2019

How true.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 08:59:45 AM »

That is the Mueller, Weismann, Comey MO. Those three especially the first two have a history of questionable prosecutions/persecutions. Mueller should never have been appointed if any special counsel was even really warranted. He should definitely have been blocked from hiring Weismann.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/05/office-of-inspector-general-finds-top-fbi-official-illegally-leaked-to-media-including-sensitive-info-sealed-by-fed-courts-doj-declines-prosecution/

Despite the fact that this senior FBI official, who was not named in the summary, clearly broke multiple laws, the Department of Justice declined to prosecute the individual.

What's the use of catching them if there are no consequences … :facepalm:
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/05/office-of-inspector-general-finds-top-fbi-official-illegally-leaked-to-media-including-sensitive-info-sealed-by-fed-courts-doj-declines-prosecution/

What's the use of catching them if there are no consequences … :facepalm:

So they can get a stern talking to and told that it was BAD. Maybe even told to think about what they did.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »
Could someone tell me what law(s) Trump is accused of breaking (other than "Didn't let Hillary win".)   My understanding is that if there is NO crime (i.e. collusion) there there can't be any obstruction of justice.   Maybe some of our resident tile-crawlers can explain to this rube from flyover country what I'm missing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:31:48 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
So, irrespective of whether or not Mueller's team had enough proof of Trump's innocence to come out and say so unequivocally, the fact is they also didn't have enough proof of guilt to say so. So, the way the system works, if a special prosecutor's team could not uncover enough evidence after two years of digging to say with any degree of certainty that they thought Trump was guilty ... then by the rules of our system Trump is innocent.

I'm not sure that interpretation is correct. I think Andrew McCarthy is correct (as usual) in his analysis.
What matters is that Mueller can be fairly understood to be saying he believed President Trump committed obstruction of justice. That is not the only possible interpretation, but it is the most likely interpretation.

Mueller said Wednesday that if he had concluded there was insufficient evidence to charge Trump with obstruction, he would have said so (as he did with collusion). He then emphasized that he did not say so. That strongly implies that he believes the evidence is sufficient (notwithstanding that the attorney general has found otherwise). Mueller added that, in deciding not to allege obstruction even though the evidence was arguably sufficient to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, he relied on the OLC guidance. Finally, he deduced from this, and from his understanding of the Constitution, that in our system it is for Congress, not federal prosecutors, to deal with presidential misconduct.

Now, as I said, this is not the only conceivable interpretation. We could conservatively construe Mueller as saying that, because the OLC guidance prevents a sitting president from being indicted, he decided not to think about whether there was sufficient evidence to charge obstruction. But this is unlikely.
A much more straightforward interpretation is that Mueller believes there is enough evidence to indict, he decided he could not do so under the guidance, and he intentionally left the matter for Congress to resolve — with the advice that felonies may have been committed.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »
Could someone tell me what law(s) Trump is accused of breaking (other than "Didn't let Hillary win".)   My understanding is that if there is NO crime (i.e. collusion) there there can't be any obstruction of justice.   Maybe some of our resident tile-crawlers can explain to this rube from flyover country what I'm missing.
My understanding from the Mueller report is they found no evidence of this collusion stuff.  They had no direct evidence of obstruction either, but they are trying to say that Trump's statements and tweets about ending the investigation and firing Mueller amount to some form of obstruction even though President Trump never actually did anything.  The tile crawling lawyers are doing their best to twist things to make it seem like there was obstruction.  Apparently the lack of an actual crime is important, but the relevant law has a clause that could maybe be interpreted by an aggressive prosecutor to say there doesn't need to be a crime if you cross your eyes hard enough.  I heard the intent of the people who drafted that law was that a crime was necessary.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
Coming soon to an impeachment near you

- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
I'm not sure that interpretation is correct. I think Andrew McCarthy is correct (as usual) in his analysis.

It's difficult to support a conclusion that Mueller was certain Trump had committed a crime when Mueller said this:

He made clear that his office "concluded we would not reach a determination one way or the other about whether the president committed a crime,"

That doesn't say definitively that Trump is innocent, but it very clearly does say that the entire Miueller team could not agree that Trump had committed a crime ... any crime.