Author Topic: What's going on department  (Read 1370 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
What's going on department
« on: April 17, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
For a long time I stopped answering my telephone (landline) because the overwhelming percentage of calls were marketing. I've started answering some calls lately, and I don't understand what's happening. I answer a call, and all I hear is several seconds of dead microphone, then a click and the connection is broken. They aren't the typical robo calls, because there's no canned announcement that starts playing as soon as I pick up. These are strictly just dead air, then disconnect.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any idea what it's about?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: What's going on department
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
I get them too. I assumed they are either robocalls that failed to properly activate or robocalls that are just testing for human responses to improve their calling lists.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »
Like you, I rarely answer my landline since most calls are scams or telemarketers. I get these "silent" calls too. My guesses are that

a) they're automated testing to see what time is best to call and get a live person so they can have their own live person try to sell you something (or scam you)
b) automated call center with multiple calls per operator, and someone else answered before you did
c) crooks testing to see if anyone is home so they'll know when to stage a B&E at your place
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »
I get them too. I assumed they are either robocalls that failed to properly activate or robocalls that are just testing for human responses to improve their calling lists.

Several possibilities, bit I suspect the latter is a good portion. Verifying active numbers and a potential human to talk to. With stuff like Google Voice, there are probably a large number of phone numbers that go right to VM and that are either unused, rarely used, or created to be given to sales people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
Like you, I rarely answer my landline since most calls are scams or telemarketers. I get these "silent" calls too. My guesses are that

a) they're automated testing to see what time is best to call and get a live person so they can have their own live person try to sell you something (or scam you)
b) automated call center with multiple calls per operator, and someone else answered before you did
c) crooks testing to see if anyone is home so they'll know when to stage a B&E at your place

A few years ago I would have gone with (c). These days, I suspect that (a) is more likely.

I guess I'll just revert to letting the answering machine earn its keep.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
fax spam?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »
fax spam?

Ah!

VERY possible. I have a fax machine, but it's on a dedicated line/number. And I was getting so much fax spam that I've had to resort to keeping the machine turned off except when someone notifies me that they want to send a fax, or when I need to send a fax. I was literally going through reams of paper on junk faxes for every legitimate page I received. So it makes sense that these calls could be robo fax machines hoping to encounter a fax tone.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
It's a gang initiation. If you answer the phone, they hang up and leave you alone. If you just listen, and refuse to answer, they are waiting outside to murder you. And steal your phone.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
I have gotten those dead calls on my cell phone.  If they don't answer pretty quick, I usually hang up if it is an unknown caller.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »
Automated dialers. Multiple numbers are dialed on multiple lines, 1st one to pick up goes live, the rest go dead.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
I made the mistake of filling out a questionnaire at a weak moment late at night on fecesbook. Now my cell phone and email is getting nonstop messages for job openings. :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to whether the'yd respond if you answered in Spanish, like with a "Bueno."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:37:15 AM by 230RN »