Author Topic: Hive mind advice, Win 10 software, user permissions  (Read 509 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Hive mind advice, Win 10 software, user permissions
« on: April 29, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
Setting up a Win 10 machine for use by our Security folks. Part of the install is a piece of software from Assa Abloy which we use to program keypad-style door locks. It needs to be available to any of the Security staff who log into the machine.

Unfortunately it's also one of those programs which does something at startup that triggers a "Administrator Password Needed" notification (registry entry, maybe?). Is there a way to set permissions on a program which allows non-admin users to a program without an Admin password? I figured out how to make the program available to all users, but am having the devil of a time figuring out how to make it openable without the need for an Admin to be standing nearby.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Hive mind advice, Win 10 software, user permissions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Something with comparability settings, maybe.  Right click, properties, compatability tab in the properties screen.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
Something with comparability settings, maybe.  Right click, properties, compatability tab in the properties screen.

Tried. Failed.

I've done more digging and it appears the only truly functional way to make it happen is custom scripting. We're not that adventurous.

I think we're gonna give up and just give the primary user on the machine (the head guard) admin privileges. The machine will be under his personal care and won't contain anything loaded locally short of the keypad program. The program has secondary password protections so it's a workable solution. Not preferred, mind you, but workable.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
That's a work-around, but I would contact Assa Abloy and make them aware that their software has a usability issue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
That's a work-around, but I would contact Assa Abloy and make them aware that their software has a usability issue.

Done (nice folks, by the way). Nothing can be done because the registry entry is an integral part of the security measures. If I understand correctly, that aspect is key to certain security level accreditation so it's not work-aroundable.

I can't really hold it against them. This particular version of the software is designed for a dedicated secure workstation and we're trying to use it outside the parameters of that predefined environment. Throw in the added complexity of the University's security protocols and, well, here we are.

Brad
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Done (nice folks, by the way). Nothing can be done because the registry entry is an integral part of the security measures. If I understand correctly, that aspect is key to certain security level accreditation so it's not work-aroundable.

I can't really hold it against them. This particular version of the software is designed for a dedicated secure workstation and we're trying to use it outside the parameters of that predefined environment. Throw in the added complexity of the University's security protocols and, well, here we are.

Brad

If you know what that registry key is, you might be able to adjust permissions on it using regedit.  Which also, I'm sure, puts you outside where anyone wants you to be security wise.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.