Author Topic: Gun Training Techniques  (Read 947 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Gun Training Techniques
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
Interesting technique.  I am not sure if they are trying to train for avoiding friendly fire or just awareness while firing in general. 

https://youtu.be/dWXeKqU_rRc

Do you know anyone you would trust to shoot while you did this? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Re: Gun Training Techniques
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
I read about some US trainer that was doing this a few years back - IIRC, he also had students taking turns with the downrange part of the exercise.

No. Just . . . no.

Maybe with Simunitions or paintballs, but NOT with live ammo. I'd walk out of any class that had this kind of live fire as part of the training.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
Do you know anyone you would trust to shoot while you did this? 

Yes, but I still wouldn't do it.  The risk outweighs the reward.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
If all I was wearing was a tee shirt, I wouldn't even trust someone firing simunitions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
If all you were wearing was a tee shirt, I'd leave the range.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
If all I was wearing was a tee shirt, I wouldn't even trust someone firing simunitions.
It's really not that bad.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 10:01:33 PM »
It's really not that bad.
Don't they at least wear protective helmets and such when using simunitions? 

I agree with the statements above.  I would leave if I saw that going on.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 10:09:31 PM »
Don't they at least wear protective helmets and such when using simunitions? 
Eye protection or paintball mask.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »
Sim rounds will penetrate the skin.  Not deeply and not lethal, but it is a bit worse than "not that bad."

I just saw a video on a sim round lodged under the skin of a guy's forehead.  Looked a little painful to me.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
Sim rounds will penetrate the skin.  Not deeply and not lethal, but it is a bit worse than "not that bad."

I just saw a video on a sim round lodged under the skin of a guy's forehead.  Looked a little painful to me.
I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've been hit a lot on exposed skin - head, forehead, hands, fingers, arms - even from within safe standoff distance, and countless times with various protection combinations ranging from just a t-shirt to kevlar vest and Carhartt coat.  I've seen guys wearing only eyepro hit in the nose (not my fault!), cheek, neck, and chin (those last three were my fault).  Never seen anything worse than a bleeding welt. 

The only scenario I can think of that could result in penetration of a sim round into skin would be a contact or near contact shot to just the wrong spot.

I've never used the non-marking FX rounds but have heard they hit a bit harder than the marking rounds.  Maybe those are different.  Or maybe the UTM stuff is more powerful - haven't tried those either.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
First Person Defender uses simunitions.  I think everyone is in full helmets and at least full coverage clothing. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »
Doing gun retention today and we were grappling on the ground (you do not want to be on the ground fighting over a gun, by the way).  While I was wrestling the gun out of the other guy’s retention holster he pulled mine and fired a shot in contact with my stomach - right into bare skin where my shirt had ridden up. Actually lodged the pellet in the end of the barrel. Left a welt for sure but not nearly as bad as another shot above and to the left of my left nipple which was through an undershirt, a thin T shirt and a long sleeve cotton shirt.

Several to the upper chest and shoulders through three layers, one to the forearm through one layer and one straight to the stomach. No holes in my skin.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 05:23:23 AM »
Must have been a 9mm sim round.  A .45 would have blown you in half. :rofl:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
One of the recent stories on SelfDefenseGunStories.com had some of that.  Two realtors who had concealed carry permits found a squatter in one of their properties and ended up going hands on instead of pulling guns or just calling police.  It is a little more complicated, but I wouldn't want to get caught up in a wrestling match.

https://local12.com/news/local/realtors-with-conceal-carry-permits-confront-man-at-vacant-property-hamilton-ohio-butler-county