Author Topic: A protential problem with school vouchers  (Read 1139 times)

Pb

• friend
A protential problem with school vouchers
« on: July 26, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »
For a long time, I have strongly supported school vouchers, so parents can move their kids to private school more easily.

However, I have thought of a big problem with them.

We have seen high inflation in tuition costs, caused at least partly by subsidized student loans.

It occurred to me that subsidizing the cost of private school with vouchers would cause the same thing- huge increases in costs of private schooling.

I do not know of a way around this problem.

What do you all think?

MechAg94

• friend
Re: A protential problem with school vouchers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
I think the theory is that more private schools will start up to satisfy the demand.  I figure the existing private schools will see that increase especially if they are knowns as good schools. 

Some states really restrict private schools from even existing so a national voucher system might be difficult without other changes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »
Fits the usual pattern whenever the govt get involved in paying for anything.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
I was thinking it would be nice if there was a way to cash in the vouchers if someone does home schooling. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »
Definitely a case where partially private and partially public don't work together well for anyone. The solution is either more government or less government, depending on your bent. Personally I say abolish all public schools altogether.

Also, in multiple states where I have lived it is indeed possible to get public funds to pay for homeschooling costs, sometimes including things like field trip expenses. In places that are not hostile to home schooling it lets home schooled families get some benefits from the taxes they are paying.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
Some states really restrict private schools from even existing so a national voucher system might be difficult without other changes. 
I was thinking it would be nice if there was a way to cash in the vouchers if someone does home schooling.  

Unions hate competition
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »
Definitely a case where partially private and partially public don't work together well for anyone. The solution is either more government or less government, depending on your bent. Personally I say abolish all public schools altogether.

Also, in multiple states where I have lived it is indeed possible to get public funds to pay for homeschooling costs, sometimes including things like field trip expenses. In places that are not hostile to home schooling it lets home schooled families get some benefits from the taxes they are paying.

It's a PITA in many ways but we get $1000/kid K-8 from a school district about 45 minutes away.  Nothing like what the schools get, but at least we get something.  There are a lot of conditions on it too.  Especially if there is even the slightest hint of Christianity in material it's not allowed under that funding. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
It's a PITA in many ways but we get $1000/kid K-8 from a school district about 45 minutes away.  Nothing like what the schools get, but at least we get something.  There are a lot of conditions on it too.  Especially if there is even the slightest hint of Christianity in material it's not allowed under that funding. 
Wonder if "Allah's Academy" would be acceptable . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
"Some states really restrict private schools from even existing so a national voucher system might be difficult without other changes."

The fights over vouchers and charter schools in DC over the last 20 or so years were epic.

DC public schools used to be some of the best in the nation, now they're among the worst, despite having the highest per student spending in the nation. Of course, the answer from the left was "MOAR MONEY!" With a strong subtext of "you can't let get out of their failing schools for better ones, that's racist!"

If you want to see why vouchers ARE a good reason, take a look at the NEA's opposition: http://www.nea.org/home/19133.htm
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
"Some states really restrict private schools from even existing so a national voucher system might be difficult without other changes."

The fights over vouchers and charter schools in DC over the last 20 or so years were epic.

DC public schools used to be some of the best in the nation, now they're among the worst, despite having the highest per student spending in the nation. Of course, the answer from the left was "MOAR MONEY!" With a strong subtext of "you can't let get out of their failing schools for better ones, that's racist!"

If you want to see why vouchers ARE a good reason, take a look at the NEA's opposition: http://www.nea.org/home/19133.htm

The teacher's union/public school cabal has been fighting vouchers tooth and nail in Milwaukee.
It got so bad that a charter/religeous schools wanted to buy up old, abandoned public school building to open schools... so the public schools system, (MPS) sold the buildings to a developer for really cheap and then leased them back to themselves, just to keep them out of the hands of the private sector. MPS is required to sell off surplus properties, which they had a lot of because of declining enrollment.

ETA: Just recently, a former head of MPS was indicted on a charter school scam. He quit MPS, partnered with another scumbag from Philidelphia, and set up a number of fake charter schools to collect money from the state. Its almost as if he did it on purpose to undermine the voucher system.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Wow, looking at it some more...

Bush 2 signed the DC charter bill into law in 2003. The fights that were going on were back in the 1990s. God, I've been down here for that long...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.