Author Topic: Man, Even in Idaho  (Read 1536 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Man, Even in Idaho
« on: July 31, 2019, 09:18:24 AM »
This is a video worth watching. I think I complained before that the only negative I've found so far in Idaho is the county I got stuck in, which is apparently starting to get that "urban area speaks for the county" thing. This is at the county fair last week. You'll note at the beginning that they have a picture of the mealy-mouthed sign that says, "Weapons prohibited except as allowed by law", which basically means weapons are not prohibited to law abiding citizens.

Kinda comical watching the charlie foxtrot of the "security and fair management all talking out of 12 different sides of their mouth. I think I'll join the ISAA.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/07/isaa-president-denied-entry-into-canyon-county-fair-for-carrying-firearm-video/#axzz5vG5QdJYv
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Man, Even in Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
We had the exact same thing happening up here at the Interstate Fair (County Fair). We had to write letters and ensure the staff was trained properly. The local Sheriff knew the law and flat out told the fair management they could not keep people from carrying firearms at the fair. I OC there every year.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »
We had the exact same thing happening up here at the Interstate Fair (County Fair). We had to write letters and ensure the staff was trained properly. The local Sheriff knew the law and flat out told the fair management they could not keep people from carrying firearms at the fair. I OC there every year.

bob

As I read further into the article, most people concealed carrying got through. This apparently first came to the ISAA's attention because a woman was concealed carrying, but in her purse, and they searched her purse and told her to leave. That's why the ISAA guy OC'd, to make sure they saw he was armed.

I'm going to be very interested in the follow up, to see how much input (or not) the sheriff had in this versus the county attorneys. It will also be interesting to see the county legal team's response, since they apparently wordsmithed the sign. I'm much more concerned about the Sheriff's stance on firearms rights than that of the county per se.

While I haven't been directly OC'ing, it's hot and I mostly am wearing t-shirts, and OWB, the gun often goes "OC". I've had zero problems, including in Costco, which is supposed to be somewhat anti-gun (at least nationally).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 09:54:18 AM »
It sounds just like one of the State Agencies here doing mental flip flops to try to inhibit carrying "GUH-UHNs" in their offices but knowing full well if they banned them outright, they'd be in direct violation of the State Constitution as well as the State's Concealed Carry laws.  So they posted a sign on their entry doors that says this:

THE DISPLAY OF FIREARMS
OR OTHER WEAPONS
IS NOT PERMITTED

Then they have that crossed-circle prohition image with a gun and a knife in it.

Okay, sounds hokey, sounds stupid, but it is probably a grudging "compromise" between keeping screeching mascara-running anti-gun mommies happy, and a State agency trying to observe the State's own laws.

So I would not want to be specific about the Agency lest this healed-over sore point gets opened up again and your and my taxes would be required to defend against frivolous lawsuts by the aforesaid screeching mascara-running anti-gun mommies.

My druthers would be for 100% compliance with the State laws by the Agency, and let the aforesaid screeching mascara-running anti-gun mommies go screw themselves.

Problem is, my beloved adopted home State has turned, California-like, into a bastion of lockstep lefties this last election and I dread the thought of the aforesaid screeching mascara-running anti-gun mommies approaching the Legislature (or Courts) on this issue.

After all, as you know, they have the time to screech on the steps of the Capitol building and buttonhole legislators while you have to work all day.

And you know what they say about the screechy wheel getting the oil.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:09:59 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
Problem is, my beloved adopted home State has turned into a bastion of lockstep lefties this last election and I dread the thought of the aforesaid screeching mascara-running anti gun mommies approaching the Legislature on this issue.

Terry, 230RN

Luckily statewide and at the state level, Idaho is still very staunchly conservative and pro-gun. Much the opposite of CA, where a county could be pro-gun, but it didn't do you any good. I like being in a state where the state will step on the local jurisdictions regarding stopping violations of freedoms. Though as the ISAA guy said, the laws need to be more clearly written to stop local jurisdictions with an agenda. Especially since in this case, it's likely the attorney(s) was promoting the political viewpoint of the single large city in the county, versus what the population of the overall county believes. Which apparently can be seen by the number of people that were carrying to the fair.

I actually would have more expected this to happen in Ada county, where Boise is, than in Canyon county. Despite the one large (by ID standards) city of Nampa, this is a very conservative county, even by Idaho standards. Especially on my side of it, if my talks with the neighbors are any indication. :)

Eternal vigilance.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Interesting, because it's kind of the reverse of our usual plaint, which is that the cities dominate the rural areas.

An interesting situation.

What we need is an Electoral College-type system for all jurisdictions, regardless of size.

Of course, we have already tipped over the point at which a just and proper distribution of power could be re-established.  Goodbye, Republic.  Majority rules.

Terry

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 11:47:22 PM »

"What we need is an Electoral College-type system for all jurisdictions, regardless of size."

We had one , for the states.  The USSC  ruled against it, saying it was unfair those city dwellers did not have as many representatives per capita as the rural folk.  Warren described it as the most consequential decision under his tenure. That series of decisions is why Seattle rules WA, Denver rules CO, Portland rules OR, NYC rules NY, etc., across the country.

Look it up.    Reynolds vs Sims.    Baker vs Carr.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
Get enough libtard judges on the SCOTUS and we'll see the Electoral College system declared unconstitutional.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:44:53 AM »
Get enough libtard judges on the SCOTUS and we'll see the Electoral College system declared unconstitutional.

I see what you did.

No need to go SCOTUS.  It's easier to just gut the Electoral College system directly:

http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb19-042

As for Colorado, it's all over now anyhow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Colorado_elections

It can happen in your State, too.

(Thanks for the cites, tokugawa !)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:15:15 AM by 230RN »