Author Topic: The Lawyer Lied. What a Shocker. (Quick Meals)  (Read 5668 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
The Lawyer Lied. What a Shocker. (Quick Meals)
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
After I'm done with this meeting, I'll start a thread over in the Puke Palace about quick and easy food ideas for sumpnz and everyone to use.  God knows this time of year (son's marching band season) I could use more quick and easy dinner ideas.  Eating late ain't doing my guts any good, and interferes with an evening run.

Unless his meeting is still going on, looks like Chris missed the deadline.
(No, I'm not actually angry, but I won't miss a chance to give a lawyer grief)

In any case, I thought the quick meals thread was a good idea, so I'll kick it off.

For me, there are two types of quick meals: those that you can whip together and have served in less than a hour (at the very longest) and those that you can prepare in just a few minutes, and let cook without needing any more attention (but may need to cook for longer than an hour- crockpot meals generally fall here.). Both are important, depending on your needs. I'll headline each as I post the recipe.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The Lawyer Lied. What a Shocker. (Quick Meals)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
Quick to serving:

Tuna Salad: IF you have hardboiled eggs, this can be done in 5 minutes. Add chips and fruit (or veggies), and you have a full meal in 15 minutes, tops. If you have to boil the eggs, it becomes 30 minutes.

2 cans tuna (drained)
3 Boiled Eggs (chopped)
Chopped Celery
Chopped pickles (optional if you have children that whine about pickles)
Dill Weed
Mayonnaise (or miracle whip, as I prefer)

Mix all together and add enough Mayo to reach the desired consistency.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
Quick to serving:

Chicken and Noodles (or chicken noodle soup). Again, having the meat prepared makes this a quick and easy meal

Prepared Chicken. Chopped (Either previously boiled or even in a can, if you don't mind.)
1 med onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
Egg Noodles
Chicken Broth
Seasonings as desired (salt and pepper may be all you need, but you can add basil or Italian seasonings as well.)

Saute the onion, carrots and celery in some butter until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Toss in the chicken and chicken broth (at least 4 cups, I think I use 6) and bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook until soft.

This should be ready in under 30 minutes.

This can be modified to a more "chicken and dumplings" recipe with more time and some flour added to create a roux before the broth is added. (And add less broth.) But that will add time to the process.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:04:45 PM by makattak »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Quick prep:

Quiche:

3 eggs
1 cup Milk
Fillings (Cheese, meat, potatoes, onions, green peppers, etc...)
Pie crust
1 tsp Mustard (the spice, not the condiment)
Salt and pepper

Mix Eggs, Milk, and spices thoroughly. Fill* pie crust with preferred fillings- I like ham, onions, cheese, and potatoes- and pour the egg mixture over.

Cook at 425 for 45-60 minutes (depending on your oven.) Check after 30 minutes on the crust to make sure it isn't burning. (May have to cover with aluminum foil).

I almost always make two quiche at once. (And my children love it.)

*Don't actually FILL it, just enough to create some filling for the quiche)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
Quick Prep/ (Possibly quick serving):

Mediterranean Chicken Parcels:

4 chicken breasts
Mozzarella Cheese
Tomatoes (Chopped, or just cherry tomatoes, as I prefer)
Zucchini and Summer Squash (Sliced)
Italian seasonings
Aluminum Foil

Make 4 large aluminum foil sheets.
Place a chicken breast in each.
Slice chicken breast open and stuff with cheese, tomatoes, squash and zucchini. (Probably won't all fit, so you can surround the outside of the chicken, too.)
Season with Salt, Pepper, and Italian Seasonings. (Or just basil or garlic, etc...)

Wrap the chickens in the foil and cook in a 400 oven until chicken is done. (Probably about 30 minutes.)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:20:36 PM by makattak »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »
Quick to serving:

Stir Fry.

Get sliced chicken* or beef (raw) and cook in a skillet with some oil (I actually have a wok that I use). As the meat almost cooked, toss in some vegetables (They even have frozen vegetable bags listed as "Stir Fry Vegetables"). Season with soy sauce. Cook until the vegetables are as soft as you prefer.

If you start the rice at the same time you start the stir fry, you can have everything done in under 30 minutes.

ADDED BONUS: Easy Rice

This is easy because it requires 30 seconds of your time.

Put rice in microwave safe container (I use a casserole dish with a lid) at a 1:2 ratio of rice to water. (I generally do 1.5 cups rice to 3 cups water).
Cook rice for 5 minutes on high.
Cover, and cook rice for 15 minutes on 50% power.

20 minutes of cooking and you should have perfectly prepared rice with minimal involvement.

*Slicing it yourself adds another 5 minutes, but should still get you done in half an hour.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:05:27 PM by makattak »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
Quick to serving:

Stir Fry.

Get sliced chicken* or beef (raw) and cook in a skillet with some oil (I actually have a wok that I use). As the meat almost cooked, toss in some vegetables (They even have frozen vegetable bags listed as "Stir Fry Vegetables"). Season with soy sauce. Cook until the vegetables are as soft as you prefer.

If you start the rice at the same time you start the stir fry, you can have everything done in under 30 minutes.

ADDED BONUS: Easy Rice

This is easy because it requires 30 seconds of you time.

Put rice in microwave safe container (I use a casserole dish with a lid) at a 1:2 ratio of rice to water. (I generally do 1.5 cups rice to 3 cups water).
Cook rice for 5 minutes on high.
Cover, and cook rice for 15 minutes on 50% power.

20 minutes of cooking and you should have perfectly prepared rice with minimal involvement.

*Slicing it yourself adds another 5 minutes, but should still get you done in half an hour.

Try using hoisin sauce or oyster sauce instead of soy. :)
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »
Mak, thanks for the abuse, and for starting without me.  Some stuff got in the way. Will try to add some recipes this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:24:45 AM by Chris »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:14:30 PM »
Wife worked every day this week.

Last Saturday I grilled store bought frozen fancy burgers from HEB but Aldi has the same ones. Beef bacon and cheese. Also bought some pork steaks. Grilled until almost done.

Cooled and placed in ziplock bags meal size portions. (2 per bag) placed in fridge.

End of the day pulled out ziplock bag removed meat one on each plate. Start canned veggie sides on stove. Blob of butter on meat and in the microwave for 1:30-2:00 power level 6 each plate.

Add sides. Meal ready in about 10 minutes.

(Power level helps keep from over heating and turning meat to rubber.)

I added Heinz 57 to mine. Was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
Weekend prepped sandwich spread

Ingredients

Meat
cheese (grated) sharp, mild exotic your choice
relish (sweet or dill depending on meat of choice)
Onion (red yellow or white)
Peppers
Anything else you think might be good for your taste after reading
Mayo (miracle whip) ranch dressing

Cook meat - beef or pork roast, chicken or other meat.
lay out other ingredients

Break out food processor

Cut meat into to portion sizes I use about 4oz
Place portion of meat and other ingredients (not the mayo) into processor.
Pulse until desired consistency (shredded or minced) and mixed thoroughly.
Place mixture into bowl.
Repeat until no meat is left.

Add pickle juice and mayo until spreadable consistency is reached.

Season as desired.

Divide into meal size portions into freezer bags and pat down flat.

Freeze.

Morning of use take out of freezer place in fridge to thaw.

Pair with appropriate bread sliced tomato lettuce of choice. (I like green leaf seasoned with listeria myself)

Chips and dip

Enjoy.

Pork with sweet relish and a potato bread or bun would pair good.

Roast (not pot roast) cooked with seasoning rub and Worcestershire sauce. Diced red onion, dill relish on marbled rye bread and a dash of brown mustard or jalapeño mustard would pair good.     

This can be tailored to taste real easy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »
Not quick, but filling...

Ham and Pinto beans.

Soak a pound of pintos overnight.

Next day, drain and rinse and put in a large pot. Add enough broth (chicken, beef, veggie, etc.) to cover by an inch or so. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. You're going to be simmering these for a long time, 4 to 6 hours. Also add about 2 t of salt.

Sweat finely chopped onion, shallots, carrots, celery (if you want), garlic, peppers, basically anything you want, over low heat with a bit of oil and salt. When they turn translucent, after maybe 30 minutes, and have softened, dump in with the beans. Stir.

Let simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally and checking to see how soft the beans are getting and making sure that the broth is still OK. The idea is to start reducing the broth to a sauce, but you don't want to do it too quickly.

Add more salt, if necessary (be carefully, I've found out the hard way it is VERY easy to oversalt beans), a couple of bay leaves, oregano, basil, black pepper, anything else that you want. Mtnbkr gave me some stuff called Pinto Bean Seasoning that has chili powder, cumin, and other spices. That works.

An hour or two before you think they're done, chop up and add a pound or so of smoked ham.

Basically that's it. I made a pot a couple of weekends ago and loved them. I'm going to make a pot tomorrow for lunches in the coming weeks. It's really good stuff served with hot sauce, cheese, and sour cream. Essentially like chili, but none of the tomato sauce.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
Slather some extra crunchy peanut butter on a couple of slices of bread, whatever type you prefer.  Fold over the slathered slices, grab some of your favorite beverage and enjoy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »
Not quick, but filling...

Ham and Pinto beans.

Soak a pound of pintos overnight.

Next day, drain and rinse and put in a large pot. Add enough broth (chicken, beef, veggie, etc.) to cover by an inch or so. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. You're going to be simmering these for a long time, 4 to 6 hours. Also add about 2 t of salt.

Sweat finely chopped onion, shallots, carrots, celery (if you want), garlic, peppers, basically anything you want, over low heat with a bit of oil and salt. When they turn translucent, after maybe 30 minutes, and have softened, dump in with the beans. Stir.

Let simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally and checking to see how soft the beans are getting and making sure that the broth is still OK. The idea is to start reducing the broth to a sauce, but you don't want to do it too quickly.

Add more salt, if necessary (be carefully, I've found out the hard way it is VERY easy to oversalt beans), a couple of bay leaves, oregano, basil, black pepper, anything else that you want. Mtnbkr gave me some stuff called Pinto Bean Seasoning that has chili powder, cumin, and other spices. That works.

An hour or two before you think they're done, chop up and add a pound or so of smoked ham.

Basically that's it. I made a pot a couple of weekends ago and loved them. I'm going to make a pot tomorrow for lunches in the coming weeks. It's really good stuff served with hot sauce, cheese, and sour cream. Essentially like chili, but none of the tomato sauce.

I made a batch of pinto beans last week in Wife's new Instant Pot.  I did soak and drain them first, but you don't have to.  Didn't put any meat in them; used dried chipotles instead (the little black Morita ones, not the big gray-tan ones that I think are called Mora.)  Also onions, bay leaf, black pepper, and just a little garlic powder.  They were tasty enough I'm soaking some small red beans now for the same treatment, but I think I have a small ham bone in the freezer and will add that.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »
I made a batch of ham and pintos today. Man are they good. I backed off on the salt this time so they're not way too salty like they were last time.

I don't like bean in the pressure cooker. They get way too soft for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Incidentally, I made stir-fry this week... ok, it was fried rice, but stir fry and fried rice start the same way.

IF you don't start with a bag of frozen veggies, it does take a good amount more time to peel, slice, etc... the veggies. So, for quick meals, be sure to use the $1 bags from Kroger. It's worth it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »
Thread veer (that's what we do)  Where can I get dried red beans that stay red?   The last batch of beans that I got at Walmart started out nice and dark red, faded pink when I soaked them, and cooked-up a light gray-pinkish brown just like pintos (except they cost twice as much as pintos)  I didn't loose all that much color to the soaking water; it was reddish but not a lot.

I don't want kidney beans, I want the smaller ones.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Pasta and Meatballs (30-45 minutes to make)

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
1 egg
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (the Kraft can is fine)
small onion
garlic
basil, oregano, parsley red pepper flakes
black pepper and salt to taste

Jar sauce of choice
dried pasta of choice

Chop onion and garlic fine.  How much garlic is up to your taste.  I generally do 3-5 cloves.
Mix the meat, egg, onion and garlic until well blended.
Add the breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs.  I didn't put measurements on herbs, as it's a matter of taste.  Ballpark?  Add a tablespoon of oregano, basil, and parsley.  Add a teaspoon on pepper flakes, unless you like it spicy.  Mix until well blended.

Start your water for the pasta now.  Salt your water if you like.

Make up the meatballs (I use an ice cream scoop).  Heat a large, deep skillet or dutch oven, and add just enough oil (I use olive oil) to coat the bottom of the pan) Brown on all sides in batches of all at once if you'r pan is big enough.  When browned, add a 1/2 cup or so of water or red wine if you're feeling fancy.  Cover and let them steam a bit over medium/ medium low heat.  After 5 minutes or so, add your sauce and stir it well.  Leave it to simmer over medium- low heat.

Cook your pasta.  Sauce and meatballs will be done when the pasta is cooked.  Now, I like to ladle sauce and meatballs onto the pasta, but my wife prefers when I drain the pasta and dump that into the sauce and stir together.  So, that's generally what we end up with. 

I serve in bowls with Parmesan cheese on top.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark