Author Topic: More California Craziness  (Read 1101 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
More California Craziness
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
The latest CA bill is to make any freelance writers that write more than 35 articles a year an employee of a publication. Neither writers nor publications to have any choice in the matter. How the hell do you get down to this micromanagement of people's lives level? How many people will the state need to hire to enforce it?

Writers write for publications all over the country and the world. An enforcement nightmare. Because you can write from anywhere, I suppose many CA based writers can pick up and move, as long as they don't have family or other obligations keeping them in the state. Or I wonder if you could start an LLC in Nevada, submit all your articles via a server you house in that state, and bypass the law?

What's next? If you mow your own lawn more than four times a month you have to become an employee of a landscaping company?

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/10/21/yashars-not-a-journalist-california-dem-gets-into-a-fight-with-yashar-ali-over-the-states-new-awful-freelancer-bill/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:56:02 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: More California Craziness
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »
The latest CA bill is to make any freelance writers that write more than 35 articles a month an employee of a publication. Neither writers nor publications to have any choice in the matter. How the hell do you get down to this micromanagement of people's lives level? How many people will the state need to hire to enforce it?

The twitchy link says 35 articles/year.  That's a lot less.  Either way it's a gift to unions.  The CA Legislator accidently let's the truth hit twitter:

Quote from: Lorena S. Gonzalez
Freelancers can write however much they want-but should we let , say the LA Times hire as many freelancers as they want to bust their union or weaken their great new contract or keep folks from organizing.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
Before long California will be regulating how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:55:35 AM »
The twitchy link says 35 articles/year.  That's a lot less.  

My error (fixed). I was just barely into my first cup of Freedom Fuel.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
My error (fixed). I was just barely into my first cup of Freedom Fuel.  :laugh:

Bourbon, it's not just for breakfast any more.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »
I am sure there will never be a rumor of the California DOJ picking and choosing which media outlets to enforce this rule on and which they will ignore.  That would be a form of corruption and California Democrats are above such things.   ;/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 04:27:19 PM »
Before long California will be regulating how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop

*crunch*  Three.
"It's good, though..."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
Not all of the idiocy gets through, fortunately.

This bill would have made much harder for cities to deal with scofflaw parkers and thus, conversely made it easier for scofflaws to jam up city streets with their junker cars.

It would have been the vehicle equivalent of letting people camp on the streets and all the nastiness that that brings.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Not all of the idiocy gets through, fortunately.

This bill would have made much harder for cities to deal with scofflaw parkers and thus, conversely made it easier for scofflaws to jam up city streets with their junker cars.

It would have been the vehicle equivalent of letting people camp on the streets and all the nastiness that that brings.

That's good. Santa Barbara was full of "street campers" when I was there, and there were always protests whenever the city/cops would try and clean things up. Of course I don't think the protestors had the car campers living in their neighborhoods.