Author Topic: Beets!  (Read 10933 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Re: Beets!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »
Mom occasionally put pickled beets on the table. I tried real hard not to gag. Dad's family liked borscht. A couple years ago some buds and I ate at Tamarac, exit 45 on I-77/64, Chefs from the Greenbrier Hotel. I had roasted root veggies as a side. "Hhmmm, pretty good, are those red pieces beets?". Have grilled and roasted some occasionally  since.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »
"I tried real hard not to gag."

Heathen...

A few weeks ago I was grabbing a salad at the local grocery store and was putting pickled beets in the container. Some woman looked said "Oh, you like beets, too?"

"Nah, I just fling them at my coworkers..."

We had a laugh, a short chat, and it turned out that they were also a staple when she was growing up in Pennsylvania.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 08:15:16 AM »
I liked beets until the sugar factories here ramped up last month. Now I'm not so sure.  :laugh:

J/K, I still like them, but man, that smell is annoying. I seem to be lucky and live in a pocket of fresh air, but as you head into Nampa, it's quite noticeable.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »
So, what does sugar beet processing smell like?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 09:31:12 AM »
So, what does sugar beet processing smell like?

It's hard to describe. I mean, it's not like a manure factory or anything, but it's certainly not sweet.  :laugh:

We have potato processors too (Like OrIda), and you can definitely tell it's potatoes. I wouldn't place this smell with beets if I didn't know it was a sugar factory.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »
I liked beets until the sugar factories here ramped up last month. Now I'm not so sure.  :laugh:

J/K, I still like them, but man, that smell is annoying. I seem to be lucky and live in a pocket of fresh air, but as you head into Nampa, it's quite noticeable.

Could be worse I live a mile north of a soybean mill, south wind is a sweet burning smell. 2 miles east is a soybean fermenter, east winds smell like putrid cheese.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
It's hard to describe. I mean, it's not like a manure factory or anything, but it's certainly not sweet.  :laugh:

We have potato processors too (Like OrIda), and you can definitely tell it's potatoes. I wouldn't place this smell with beets if I didn't know it was a sugar factory.

My grandparents lived with in two miles of a sugar beet plant.  After I got used to the odor, I kind of missed it. They died in the 1980s, and when we went back through there in 2004, the smell brought back memories of visiting my grandparents.  It's what I would describe as "earthy".  Now, the alfalfa drying plant down the road was something entirely different.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
When I was in Cairo, Illinois, a few years ago the entire town smelled incredible. There's a soybean processor at the edge of town and I guess they were either drying or roasting soybeans.

The town I grew up in had a small commercial bakery. The town often smelled like cakes baking.

And, in the spring, when the wind was just right, coming up the river from the south east, you could smell chocolate from Hershey. Not from the plant, but from the cocoa bean hulls that they use as mulch all over the town.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 08:16:10 AM »
Now, the alfalfa drying plant down the road was something entirely different.

As in bad, or am I reading that wrong? I've only ever smelled cut alfalfa drying in the fields, but  I actually like that smell. Wondering if machine drying it changes something.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 10:00:07 AM »
Now, the alfalfa drying plant down the road was something entirely different.

Are you sure they weren't making silage?  That can be pretty rank if it's too wet.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
Back to the original subject, just ordered my Imperfect Produce box and beets are back!

I have 4 pounds coming...

Time to roast!

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »
As in bad, or am I reading that wrong? I've only ever smelled cut alfalfa drying in the fields, but  I actually like that smell. Wondering if machine drying it changes something.
Yes, it smells bad. Thankfully, they didn't run it very often.  Whereas, the sugar factory ran pretty much all summer.
Are you sure they weren't making silage?  That can be pretty rank if it's too wet.
No, I've smelled sileage plenty of times.  I think they were making alfalfa pellets.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
Back to the original subject, just ordered my Imperfect Produce box and beets are back!

I have 4 pounds coming...

Time to roast!

Where do you order them? We usually have to wait until June and buy a box from one of the neighbors to pickle. We didn't get that done this spring.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
"Where do you order them?"

Imperfectproduce.com

If you decide that you want to participate, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a code that will give each of $10 off an order.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2019, 11:37:18 PM »

Is it worse than driving route 3, through Granite City, IL?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »
Is it worse than driving route 3, through Granite City, IL?

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2019, 09:05:20 PM »

Michael!!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2019, 08:00:37 AM »
Roasted 5 pounds of beets yesterday.

I sliced them on my V slicer and bagged and froze 4 pounds of them.

The last pound I spread on some parchment paper on a jelly roll pan and then baked a meatloaf on top of them.

Yeah, the whole thing was pretty damned awesome.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 11:12:55 PM »

How did you let the thread get that far before you referenced your favorite beet farmer?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
How did you let the thread get that far before you referenced your favorite beet farmer?

What can I say? I'm slipping in my old age.  :laugh: