Author Topic: What caliber for ducks running amok?  (Read 1410 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: What caliber for ducks running amok?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:52:04 AM »
I suppose the non-toxic restriction eliminates most .22 ammo.   That would disqualify the most likely gun to be around the house.

And if they're an invasive species and unprotected, why bother with that kind of nonsense?  It's not like they're shooting in a regular hunting area which would have decades of lead shot lying around, and I'm fairly sure there'd be no danger to Condors in Texas.  And if they're unprotected, why can't folks eat them?

After all, if they're an invasive species, they can't be owned by the people of the State, like regular wildlife, so why can't one sell or eat them?

???

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:50 AM »
I suppose the non-toxic restriction eliminates most .22 ammo.   That would disqualify the most likely gun to be around the house.

And if they're an invasive species and unprotected, why bother with that kind of nonsense?  It's not like they're shooting in a regular hunting area which would have decades of lead shot lying around, and I'm fairly sure there'd be no danger to Condors in Texas.  And if they're unprotected, why can't folks eat them?

After all, if they're an invasive species, they can't be owned by the people of the State, like regular wildlife, so why can't one sell or eat them?

???

The answer to all these questions lies in one word: "Austin."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:02:11 AM »
^  "Ah, but of course.  I should 'ave known."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:24:17 AM by 230RN »

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:30:32 AM »
There are so many cautions and legal warnings that depend on knowledge of obscure laws that I can see the ducks getting a lawyer and creating a new category, Undocumented Specie.  Once they get that status they will have to be represented on city council and provided housing and stale bread.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
They should hire the robertsons for animal control. Uncle Si would show them how it’s done.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »
Muscovy ducks are tasty, fyi.

All you really need is a landing net for fishing and catch them that way.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
There are so many cautions and legal warnings that depend on knowledge of obscure laws that I can see the ducks getting a lawyer and creating a new category, Undocumented Specie.  Once they get that status they will have to be represented on city council and provided housing and stale bread.
Pearland is a commuter suburb South of Houston.  It isn't that far from me.  The entire town is covered in sprawling housing subdivisions with some unincorporated areas scattered inbetween.  This sounds like a reason to get a good air rifle.  

I hadn't heard about this.  I work with at least one person who lives there.  I will have to ask them.  

As far as hunting, my understanding of Texas law is that if a species is non-native and not a game animal, there is really no restriction or limit on hunting it.  I think there may be rules for selling such animals if they are already dead.  I was told a while back that if you can't take a dead wild pig to a meat processor.  There is some sort of required disease check that can only be done live.  Either way, I imagine the lawyer stuff is some official trying to prevent some old boy from thinking he has permission to start shotgun hunting in his front yard.  I imagine those who are not in the city limits and could hunt them with a shotgun are fully aware of that status.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 09:10:02 AM »
Since they are unprotected, I wonder if I could pick up a punt gun somewhere.  Mount it in the back of my Tacoma.  I only have the 5 foot bed so I couldn't get one this long.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »
Since they are unprotected, I wonder if I could pick up a punt gun somewhere.  Mount it in the back of my Tacoma.  I only have the 5 foot bed so I couldn't get one this long.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Side_view_of_punt_and_ducks_YORYM-S385.jpg/1280px-Side_view_of_punt_and_ducks_YORYM-S385.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 09:22:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJouw9uh84
Just get a truck with a 5th wheel trailer hitch and set up a mount off that in the bed.   =)

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »
MechAg94 said,

As far as hunting, my understanding of Texas law is that if a species is non-native and not a game animal, there is really no restriction or limit on hunting it.

It's my impression that's generally true for most States.  Here in Colorado it used to be that such species and nuisance species had seasons of January 1 to December 31.  When I got my first small game license out here, I thought that was pretty amusing.

Terry

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
As far as hunting, my understanding of Texas law is that if a species is non-native and not a game animal, there is really no restriction or limit on hunting it.

Californians are non-native and not classified as game animals, so once word gets out . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
Pearland is a commuter suburb South of Houston.  It isn't that far from me.  The entire town is covered in sprawling housing subdivisions with some unincorporated areas scattered inbetween.  This sounds like a reason to get a good air rifle.  

I hadn't heard about this.  I work with at least one person who lives there.  I will have to ask them.  

As far as hunting, my understanding of Texas law is that if a species is non-native and not a game animal, there is really no restriction or limit on hunting it.  I think there may be rules for selling such animals if they are already dead.  I was told a while back that if you can't take a dead wild pig to a meat processor.  There is some sort of required disease check that can only be done live.  Either way, I imagine the lawyer stuff is some official trying to prevent some old boy from thinking he has permission to start shotgun hunting in his front yard.  I imagine those who are not in the city limits and could hunt them with a shotgun are fully aware of that status.

I'm sure it's not as tricky as it sounds, it's just that when I hear "Plus, the duck must be destroyed by legal means" it makes me wonder exactly what that means.

A local community had an issue with being over run by deer.  To the point that all the flowers were eaten and cars hitting them was routine.  Somebody officially asked the city if they could hunt them, and the city said you could but only if you complied with the law.  When asked for clarification the official said they would have to get their lawyers to look at it, because they didn't know exactly what the law demanded in that locality.  That's what I would worry about.  Not so much of being legally correct but being judged after the fact, probably in the media.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.