Author Topic: Turnip Greens  (Read 2829 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Turnip Greens
« on: November 18, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
I planted turnips this year (which are turning out wonderfully. I'm starting to wonder if we can actually eat all of them) and, as a result have a LOT of turnip greens.

I hated seeing them go to waste, (I feed lots of them to our bunny, but even she can't keep up with all the greens) so I found this:

At the suggestion of Southern Living, I made this recipe: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/sauteed-collard-greens with Turnip Greens instead of Collard. (I there are a few other suggestions here: https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/turnip-greens-recipes)

My southern wife absolutely loved them. (I thought they were good too, but she was far more enamored of them than I was.)

I used the greens off of 3 turnips and it made about 8-10 servings after wilting down.

One thing I'm interested in trying is the Turnip Green pesto in one of the other links. It might be a good way for longer term storage.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Turnip Greens
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
I lurvs me some turnip greens. Simple prep of braising in bacon drippings. Salt, pepper, and a healthy splash of good old Trappey's Pepper Sauce. Service with hot buttered cornbread.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB