Author Topic: What to do with rendered turkey fat?  (Read 2722 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
What to do with rendered turkey fat?
« on: December 22, 2019, 05:36:47 PM »
I probably have at least 2 cups of it.  Looks a lot like chicken fat except it's white instead of yellow, and it smells like roast turkey.  Use it for biscuits?  For frying potatoes?  Freeze it, then dump it in the trash because I don't need all those calories and neither do the dogs?
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: What to do with rendered turkey fat?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »
Fat I won't eat goes to my chickens or goes in the fireplace to start fires in a hurry. Roll it in birdseed and put it out for the songbirds. Smear it on the windshield of those that annoy you. Waterproof a garment and hike in bear country. Grease your wagon axles. The possibilities are endless.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 12:12:17 AM »
It is too soft to make a make a bird feeder.  I like the windshield thing, or the wagon axles.  Thanks!

It's about 3 cups.  I could make soap with it...  Turkey scented soap to keep the bears away ;)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
Confit potatoes.

Scrambled eggs

Essentially you can use it any way that you would use schmaltz (rendered chicken fat). Look on the internet for tons of ideas.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »
I was cooking down the last cup of it, skimmed off the top of the broth from boiling a roast turkey carcass.  It was popping a lot, so I sliced up a red potato in it, turned up the heat, and fried them (that stopped 99% of the popping and splattering)  Blotted the taters on a couple of paper towels and lightly salted them  Damn that was good!  Probably not much greasier than french fries, but I still probably shouldn't do that very often.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
make mayonnaise from it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536