Author Topic: American Goulash, American Chop Suey, Slumgullion...  (Read 10123 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: American Goulash, American Chop Suey, Slumgullion...
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »
This stuff turned out so well that I'm going to make it again Sunday for lunches for the following week.

Ha ha - funny, I'm doing the same with mine.  I was happy with how it came out, and got several more easy meals out of it. Only thing different I'm doing is that  only had smoked paprika handy. Sweet paprika is used in most European goulash recipes, but is hard to find locally. I ordered some on Amazon and it arrived yesterday. t should work out well. The already cubed goulash meat I bought at Costco was really good and really cheap, but of course comes in a ginormous package. I could only use half of it last Sunday or my 5 qt dutch oven would have overflowed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Of the various main paprika types -- sweet, hot, and smoked -- I REALLY prefer smoked. I use it in a LOT of stuff that generally you'd not think to use paprika in.

Chicken noodle soup? Have some smoked paprika.

Scrambled egges? Why not?

A sprinkling on buttered broccoli? Hell yes!

And so forth and so on...

I need to investigate a different wine, though. My original choice was Malbec, but I couldn't fine one at the store I was at. Different store should yield better results.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
For my wife and I, our go-to place to buy wine is Costco.  We generally buy in the $15-25/bottle range, and find some amazing wines for that price.  We will go above or below that range based on reviews, prior experience or just want to try something new.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »
I also like the smoked Paprika on a lot of stuff. Seems like an underused spice in the US.

On the Costco wines, I too, have had really good luck with their reasonably priced wines - even the ones  I buy just because of the name or the picture on the label.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
When I cook with wine I generally buy at the $10 an under range.

I've found some really good wines in that range, both for cooking and for occasional drinking. I just got back from the store and picked up a bottle of Argentinian Malbec for $6.99. May be great, may be horrible, but I've found that even Malbecs that I won't drink do pretty well in tomato based sauces.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 02:01:48 PM »
I also like the smoked Paprika on a lot of stuff. Seems like an underused spice in the US.

I use a lot of dried chipotle peppers; the small dark "morita" kind.  A little bag of them goes a long way, cuz one is a lot in a dish.  (I put 2 in some pumpkin soup today, it's pretty hot and smoky)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »
2018 Alamos Malbec from Argentina.

7 a bottle at Wegmans.

Not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
The Malbec was a better choice for this. And it was far more drinkable on its own.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
For my wife and I, our go-to place to buy wine is Costco.  We generally buy in the $15-25/bottle range, and find some amazing wines for that price.  We will go above or below that range based on reviews, prior experience or just want to try something new.

My Costco has had Klinker Brick Zinfidel  on and off, it's pretty darn good, highly recommend.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2022, 05:03:35 PM »
Decided that I needed to make Goulash again (Ben, your objection is noted, sit the hell down!  :rofl: )

This time I decided to go with red bell pepper (they were on sale at the store and are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!), no celery (forgot to get) and, for an added twist, mushrooms, which I sweated with the onion and pepper.

Used equal amounts of tomato sauce and crushed Italian style tomatoes, 2 pounds of ground turkey, about 8 ounces of left over shredded chicken breast, and whatever spices I felt like.

It's simmering now, then the rotini goes in.

Hopefully it turns out because if it doesn't I'm not sure what I'm going to do for lunches at work this week.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
Hopefully it turns out because if it doesn't I'm not sure what I'm going to do for lunches at work this week.

How could it not be at least edible?  So you'll take it for lunch and either like it because it turned out, or pretend you like it because it is what it is. =)

(if you hadn't put the chicken in there, you could use it for Serenfood)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2022, 07:12:10 PM »
Decided that I needed to make Goulash again (Ben, your objection is noted, sit the hell down!  :rofl: )

Hey!  :laugh:

I really need to make some again before the weather gets hot. Maybe this is a next Sunday thing. I'm pretty sure I still have stew meat in the freezer.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2022, 07:43:38 PM »
Level with me, Ben, is your name actually John Ealy?

Because this is what John Ealy posted in response to my mentioning that I'm making this (on a Facebook group).

"There is not any such thing as American goulash. It is an insult to any Hungarian who knows what real goulash is."

My response?

"oh lighten up, Francis, and go do a google.

The fact that it's called AMERICAN Goulash should be a clue that it has nothing to do with Hungarian Goulash.

Jesus..."

Yep, my first thought was... Goddamn it, Ben!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think someone shoved a Hungarian wax pepper up Mr. Ealy's piss hole...

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »
As I just saw this thread I figured I would ask if anyone has tried a tablespoon or so of brown sugar in it? I do because the wife likes the sweetness. I an take it or leave it. Yes, I grew up eating this, as well as ground beef SOS and scrambled eggs and pig brains. It is what we ate back then with parents from the depression era. I do the "goulash" at least monthly now.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2022, 07:57:49 PM »
Yeah, I sometimes add a bit of sugar to tomato-based recipes, including this.

I like a bit of sweetness as I think it does a good job of brightening the tomato flavor.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2022, 10:34:33 PM »
"Not The Goulash."

A few cupfulls of rice in the big pressure cooker. Add water to proper height. Add a stick of butter. Sprinkle paprika, cayenne, and either Cavender's or Chacchere's, or whatever's around. crushed peppers if I remember. Add a bag or two, depending on the amount of rice, of pre-done Aldi meatballs. Set to "rice time and pressure." I've also used smoked sausage, kielbasa, added pepperonis, and some mozz later...
Blog under construction