Author Topic: China quarantines an entire city  (Read 23636 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: China quarantines an entire city
« Reply #300 on: February 29, 2020, 01:51:31 PM »
First Corona death in the US. In Washington state.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It sucks for that person, and their family, but I'm going to predict they had pre-existing, exacerbating conditions.  The US healthcare system is pretty good, if expensive, and we do ICU pretty well.  In searching for details on that death I ran across this article though:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-infections-latest-news-updates-2020-02-28/

Health officials announced a second coronavirus case in California on Friday in which they didn't know how the person was infected. Earlier, the World Health Organization upgraded the global risk from the outbreak to "very high."

The virus has disrupted plans for everything from major sports tournaments and concerts to planned U.S. military exercises. The global death toll is now over 2,800, and the disease has made its first worrying appearance in sub-Saharan Africa.

More than 83,000 cases of the COVID-19 disease have now been confirmed in more than 50 countries. While about 36,000 of those people have recovered, fast-growing outbreaks in South Korea, Italy and Iran — along with the first case confirmed in Nigeria — show the battle to contain the virus is still in its early stages.

In terms of human cost, I fear this is the start of ramping up.  I think this thing could roll through Africa (and parts of Latin America and Central Asia) with death rates like the Iranians are seeing.  Lots of folks already not that healthy, and not much for modern hospitals.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #301 on: February 29, 2020, 02:07:01 PM »

In terms of human cost, I fear this is the start of ramping up.  I think this thing could roll through Africa (and parts of Latin America and Central Asia) with death rates like the Iranians are seeing.  Lots of folks already not that healthy, and not much for modern hospitals.

India could be like something out of a TEOTW movie
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #302 on: February 29, 2020, 02:34:59 PM »
It sucks for that person, and their family, but I'm going to predict they had pre-existing, exacerbating conditions.  The US healthcare system is pretty good, if expensive, and we do ICU pretty well.  In searching for details on that death I ran across this article though:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-outbreak-death-toll-infections-latest-news-updates-2020-02-28/

Yeeeup,  65 year old woman with pre existing respiratory problems .
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #303 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
First Corona death in the US. In Washington state.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Any numbers for the plain old flu for today?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2020, 07:19:49 AM »

Now, now. You can't cause a Trump Virus panic that benefits the Democrats with the plain old flu. You should know better than that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2020, 05:40:38 PM »

Unfair comparison at this point.  Kung-flu isn’t widespread yet.  Influenza is.
The concerns for the Kung-flu should be the apparent high hospitalization rate compared to the regular flu.
Unless we can snuff this one out, we won’t know exactly how deadly it is overall until it runs through a bunch of countries.
Virologists worry that unchecked it could infect anywhere from 30-70% of the world pop.
2.3% of 30% of 7 billion+ people is around half a million.
The flu has a less than 1% mortality rate normally, sometimes as high as 2%.
So it could just be a really bad flu (after two bad flu years back to back), or it could run up to the high side of the infection estimated and kill millions.
It’s a giant question mark on how it will actually play out.  Good containment measures can slow this down to a non event.  Head in sand calling it a “hoax” letting infected people walk around concerts and schools?  Anyone’s guess.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2020, 07:00:12 PM »
As others have noted, the kill rate may be artificially inflated because many known people with the infection are experiencing symptoms akin to a mild cold. If you get a minor cold you don’t usually go to the doctor, so I bet infection numbers are way underreported.  The ones we find out about are either because of enhanced testing (I.e. on the cruise ships) or because of serious illness driving people to medical care.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2020, 07:50:54 PM »
Here’s some light reading on why this thing is a big *expletive deleted*ing deal

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #308 on: March 06, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
Locking this thread, and the COVID19 extent thread. See this thread http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=61872.msg1245097#new to continue the conversation on all things Corona except the beer.
JD