Author Topic: China quarantines an entire city  (Read 23640 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: China quarantines an entire city
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2020, 08:21:11 AM »
Note he says nothing about the mortality rate. Which sources state is about 2.8%, and that's without establishing any co-morbidity factors or other demographic information to tell us if this is even any worse than a non pandemic flu strain. Also keep in mind that for perspective, measles has an R0 of anywhere from 12 to 18. SARS was 4.0. OTOH, the 1918 flu pandemic killed millions with an R0 of 1.4 or so, with a mortality rate somewhere around 15%. However, case mortality for some of these diseases was dramatic. While SARS had an 11% overall mortality rate, the rate for those over 65 years old was more than 50%.

So something with a R0 of 3.8 and (as far as we know) 2.8% morbidity with unknown demographic and co-morbidity (if any) isn't super impressive yet. We also don't know what the morbidity rate is for those hospitalized in time. It might be a fraction of a percent with just the basic supportive therapy such as IV fluids, Tylenol, and Oxygen.

I'm willing to bet a hundred bucks it'll be another low-moderate to nothing-burger like SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, and Bird Flu. We're just not seeing the ZOMG levels of panic or secondary evidence of said panic. I suppose China could be engaging in a mass effort to build tent hospitals in view of the media, and digging mass graves outside of it, but I haven't seen any evidence or even rumors of them prepping for mass death just yet.

As I was reading it, SARS initially had a R0 of 4, but quickly dropped to below 1 when more information about it came out along with containment efforts. The Mortality rate and the actual number infected can only be guessed from the numbers the Chinese are giving out- hint: the Chinese tend to not tell the truth. I think they have a legitimate out of control problem on their hands in China, but I don't think its a huge danger to spread beyond Asia yet.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »
 :facepalm:

BoingBoing discovered that in the past few days, there has also been a spike in searches for "corona beer virus," because apparently people are under the impression that coronavirus, also known as nCoV, has something to do with Corona brand beer, also known as the reason college-aged you screamed "ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME" after throwing during an otherwise chill game of beach volleyball.

A Disturbing Number of People Think Coronavirus Is Related to Corona Beer
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qjdvvd/a-disturbing-number-of-people-think-coronavirus-is-related-to-corona-beer
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
CNN knows what's the most important factor in fighting the Coronavirus, diversity

Coronavirus task force another example of Trump administration's lack of diversity | Analysis https://t.co/bs7L1rUZzc pic.twitter.com/MzzoslqZpT

— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 30, 2020
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/01/30/cnn-concerned-with-lack-of-diversity-on-trumps-coronavirus-task-force-especially-as-the-country-approaches-2020-election/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
CNN knows what's the most important factor in fighting the Coronavirus, diversity

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/01/30/cnn-concerned-with-lack-of-diversity-on-trumps-coronavirus-task-force-especially-as-the-country-approaches-2020-election/

You guys really need to read the Kurt Schlichter "fictional" People's Republic / Kelly Turnbull books. When I read the first one,  I was almost gonna give it a mediocre review because I thought it went way over the top with the SJW portrayals and characters. But no, if anything, he's behind the times.

Because when I'm dying of coronavirus, I'll at least be able to say, "Oh well, they may have been at the bottom of their class in epidemiology school, but at least they checked all the right boxes on race and gender. I can go to my grave knowing I took one for the diversity team."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »
Delta and AA suspending flights to China
United announced they will reduce and not stop, so far, flights.

Delta, American Airlines suspend flights between US, China
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/delta-american-airlines-suspend-flights-between-us-china/article_7e8af22f-c6c8-54e1-bc0c-3b7297efa212.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »
UC Berkeley publishes a guide on handling anxiety over coronavirus, gets accused of racism:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Stop-normalizing-racism-Amid-backlash-UC-15019224.php

"Hoisted on their own petard" comes to mind.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2020, 04:13:09 PM »
Browsing the subreddits on hongkong, and noticed a drop off in activity, plus several posts about empty streets.

[tinfoil]

If I believed any country would pull this *expletive deleted*it, it would be China.
Release some bullshit coronavirus they've already found and tested on inmates, knowing it would cause panic.  HongKong no longer in the news.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Browsing the subreddits on hongkong, and noticed a drop off in activity, plus several posts about empty streets.

[tinfoil]

If I believed any country would pull this *expletive deleted*it, it would be China.
Release some bullshit coronavirus they've already found and tested on inmates, knowing it would cause panic.  HongKong no longer in the news.

HK never had a chance.  China is populous, old, and patient.  The leaders of China can and will just wait until the Hong Kong "revolution" dies off from lack of enthusiasm.  They don't need for it to literally die off.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
Big Brother is watching

WATCH: China using talking drones to scold citizens who don't wear masks during virus outbreak
https://www.wlky.com/article/watch-china-using-talking-drones-to-scold-citizens-who-dont-wear-masks-during-virus-outbreak/30739652
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 11:58:29 AM »
Local rag has a story (on the 4th page) about how China has been attempting to manage news about the virus outbreak. Near the beginning of the story it mentions that a doctor who warned medical students about it was hauled in for questioning in the middle of the night, and later forced to sign a statement that his warning was "illegal behavior."

http://epaper.statesman.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=0bd3b62f-2574-4676-88da-58d1361460ab
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »
Thai doctors may have found an effective treatment:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-124753996.html

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
Thai doctors may have found an effective treatment:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-124753996.html

Kind of disappointed it doesn't somehow involve drinking a case of Corona
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
Kung Flu was good, but Sweet and Sour Sicken is currently amusing me. Why can't I think up these memes?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »
Wuhan/Novel Coronavirus death toll is higher than the SARS Coronavirus, positive news is the death rate is quite a bit lower, but it still in the early stages of the outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

The death toll from the new coronavirus has exceeded that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak in 2002 and 2003 in mainland China. But the number of people who have recovered nationwide has also risen in recent days, suggesting that the new virus’s fatality rate is relatively low.

China’s Health Commission reported on Sunday that there were 475 recoveries and 361 deaths nationwide. During the SARS outbreak, 349 people died in mainland China.

Health experts say they are encouraged by the steady rise in the number of recoveries. They take it as evidence that the treatments meted out have been effective and that the virus does not appear to be as deadly as SARS.

SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6 percent, and about 2 percent of those reported to have been infected with the new coronavirus have died
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 10:46:49 AM »
"Wuhan/Novel Coronavirus death toll is higher than the SARS Coronavirus..."

Still not nearly the deadliest plague to ever hit China...

Communism has killed more than 60 million Chinese.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
"Wuhan/Novel Coronavirus death toll is higher than the SARS Coronavirus..."

Still not nearly the deadliest plague to ever hit China...

Communism has killed more than 60 million Chinese.

Is there a vaccine for Communism?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
Is there a vaccine for Communism?

Ask Che.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
Wuhan/Novel Coronavirus death toll is higher than the SARS Coronavirus, positive news is the death rate is quite a bit lower, but it still in the early stages of the outbreak.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

"The death toll from the new coronavirus has exceeded that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome outbreak in 2002 and 2003 in mainland China. But the number of people who have recovered nationwide has also risen in recent days, suggesting that the new virus’s fatality rate is relatively low.

China’s Health Commission reported on Sunday that there were 475 recoveries and 361 deaths nationwide. During the SARS outbreak, 349 people died in mainland China.

Health experts say they are encouraged by the steady rise in the number of recoveries. They take it as evidence that the treatments meted out have been effective and that the virus does not appear to be as deadly as SARS.

SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6 percent, and about 2 percent of those reported to have been infected with the new coronavirus have died"

There's probably a week lag between symptoms and when someone recovers or dies...
A week ago, there are around 1000 confirmed cases...

Either the death rate is rediculously high, or the number of actual cases  is being grossly underreported.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2020, 11:55:25 AM »
There's probably a week lag between symptoms and when someone recovers or dies...
A week ago, there are around 1000 confirmed cases...

Either the death rate is rediculously high, or the number of actual cases  is being grossly underreported.

3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
Ask Che.

Cute, but that's not exactly preventive care.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »

"Roentgen"?

Or basic reproduction number?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2020, 12:20:25 PM »

China pop a nuke in HK?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2020, 02:25:16 PM »
It's a line from Chernobyl stated by the guy in charge of the reactor crew at the time of the explosion and repeated by those in charge to claim nothing serious happened. Later it's found out the actual reading was 15,000
- Calvin and Hobbes