Author Topic: Pan seared Ox Heart.  (Read 2485 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Pan seared Ox Heart.
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:48:32 AM »
When we buy our beef from my cousin, he takes it to the locker for butcher and we give them the cut order. I request all the parts that a lot of people pass. (Somewhere along the line somebody started putting Ox tails and Ox hearts on our beef cattle!) So I request them along with the liver and lots of nice big soup bones.
My wife grew up in a large poor catholic family with an alcoholic father. If it wasn't for a grandfather butcher, they would have missed a lot of meals. But they often ate the cuts that didn't sell at the butcher case. She will not eat liver, but does a wonderful oxtail and short rib stew. She agreed to consider eating the heart but made no promises.
In the past, I cleaned up the heart and liver and made dog jerky treats. He loved it but we lost him just before thanksgiving. My wife was going to throw the heart and liver out but I rescued it and decided to give it a try, even if it was just for me.

I started by using a fillet knife to clean up and trim the heart and cut fillets about 1/2" thick. Cracked peppercorns, brown sugar, a little cumin and celery powder and garlic powder for seasoning and pan seared them quickly leaving them rare in the middle.
I removed them to rest and sautéed onion, garlic, mushrooms, and bell peppers with a little red wine.
Served the meat smothered with the sautéed veggies and mashed sweet potato.
My wife ate it. I thought it was quite good.

Fixing the liver and onions tonight but wife said no way is she eating any of that. In her words, "I ate enough of that crap when I was growing up, because I had to, but I'm eating any of it now."
What we have here is failure to communicate.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Pan seared Ox Heart.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 11:43:03 PM »
Sounds good to me. Only ever eaten deer heart. Was good. I will eat liver from a woods deer, a corn fed deer liver or beef liver is too strong for me.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Re: Pan seared Ox Heart.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
Best liver I ever had was elk.  I put it in a cold stream for a couple of hours before cooking.  I can't stomach beef liver either.

My dad used to boil the elk heart and pickle it. Makes a pretty decent lunchmeat.