Author Topic: Combo air fryers/toaster ovens  (Read 3212 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Combo air fryers/toaster ovens
« on: February 06, 2020, 08:14:48 AM »
Anyone have one of these?

I originally thought air frying was a bunch of bunk, but several coworkers report really good results with their air fryers, so I thought I'd give one a try as part of a toaster oven.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
Re: Combo air fryers/toaster ovens
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
I was at a friend's house the other day and noticed one on their counter, a Ninja air fryer/oven/pressurecooker/etc. These friends are are gourmets, and they told me they now cook nearly everything in it, but I have no first hand experience with one.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »
There's one being hyped on TV a lot by "Emeril" that looks like it has enough capacity to make a meal for more than one person, but it's a pretty damn big unit for most kitchen counter tops. And like most toaster ovens, nearly the entire exterior gets HOT when it's in use.

Otherwise, I guess it depends on what kind of food you like.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
We've been using an air fryer for a long time, probably a couple of years.  It's much lower fat than deep-frying or pan-frying.  It's awesome for reheating things that don't normally reheat very well like pizza or fries because it keeps them crisp, whereas a microwave just makes pizza a chewy gob.  We use it for everything from brats to tempura.  The one we've got is a PIA to clean though, that's my only complaint.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
I've got those two appliances in separate units, and like them both.  My wife uses the toaster all the time for various things, and I'll use it for small bake jobs. (pot pies and the like)

We got the airfryer more recently, and really like it.  Cooks frozen stuff very well, makes awesome wings, good veggies, like was said above brats are pretty good.  I pretty much only charcoal grill and air fry at home now.  I fire up the stovetop maybe once a week when I'm at home.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
So what does an air fryer combo do differently than a toaster/convection combo? I've never looked into them, but maybe I've got some room on the counter...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »
"So what does an air fryer combo do differently than a toaster/convection combo?"

Not 100% sure, but the impression I get is that an air fryer toaster oven moves a LOT more air than a standard convection toaster oven.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
I like my air fryer. Pull some cod and fries out of the freezer and have them done by the dtim eep fryer would be hot enough to start cooking.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
I'm rethinking the Cuisinart. A small, but troubling, number of users have said that their units have melted the knobs when in use.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
That just means it's got More Power

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 01:03:33 PM »
"Air Fryer" = fancy name for mini convection oven.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 01:14:44 PM »
Here's a buying challenge: get one that's NOT made in China.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
Not quite that simple. As I noted before, air fryer ovens move more air at a higher velocity.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »

Why? Worried that your Corona Virus Combo might not cook through?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »

Such a racist thing to say. How dare you reject the Corona culture?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 01:18:55 PM »
I'm rethinking the Cuisinart. A small, but troubling, number of users have said that their units have melted the knobs when in use.

Prius or Priui catch fire too, but people still drive them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 08:39:52 AM »
Prius or Priui catch fire too, but people still drive them.

But I don't. I'm not particularly a fan of the "toasting marshmallows" optional package.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
Finally made a decision and ordered the thing.

This is what I ended up with, a Hamilton Beach.

It gets good ratings (only 18 at Amazon) but other places it also gets good ratings. It should come tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VC3M4JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »
Ran the air fryer for the first time last night.

Made sweet potato wedges and chicken tenders.

The wedges didn't really come out crispy, so I need to mess with the settings, apparently.

The chicken was very nicely done, but I think next time I'm going to spray the breaded chicken with a little oil so that it crisps a bit more.

I want to pick up a bag of either tater tots or french fries to do some experimentation, as I think it's going to take a while to dial this in to where I can really get the results that I'm hoping to get.

The unit itself is nice, but large. For the time being I'm putting it on the stove top when I use it because I still haven't figured out quite it will live. It's a bit too high to go on a kitchen counter (worried about scorching the cabinets) during a long cook, and I have a galley kitchen, so space is kind of limited. Hence the stove top for now.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:15:31 PM »
My dad puts oil on everything he cooks in his or mine when he is here. My frozen battered cod and the skinny best choice fries I do come out great without oil but you have to get the fish 3/4 done before adding the fries or they burn up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:26 AM »
Thought I'd revisit this now that I've had a bunch of time with it.

Let's just say that... it's freaking brilliant!

I've made TONS of stuff in it, and everything I've done with it has turned out well.

The air fryer feature does a great job on prepackaged french fries, tater tots, and the like. I did fried shrimp a few months ago and they turned out really nicely.

The real surprise, though? Air fried baked potatoes. Crispy skin, light, fluffy interior, and not waterlogged/steamed as if you were to do them in the microwave.

All in all, it's turning out to be one of the best kitchen purchases I've ever made.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 12:15:05 PM »
If you like mashed potatoes air fry then peel and mash. The flavor doesn't get lost in the water.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »
Yep, I figured mashed would be superior, too.

In the past I've steamed potatoes for mashed potatoes. That method of cooking also gives superior results because you don't end up with waterlogged potatoes.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2020, 09:50:52 AM »
Welcome to the club. We have one of these.

https://www.target.com/p/the-ninja-foodi-digital-air-fry-oven-with-convection-flip-up-and-away-to-store-sp101/-/A-54637571

It does about 80% of our cooking now. Everything from home made fries done with peanut oil, to hotdogs that look and taste like they just came off of a gas grill. The things are awesome. I'm going to have to try the mashed and baked potatoes next. A buddy of mine swears by his for steaks too. He sears them in a pan, then into the air fryer to cook. He says they come out perfect every time.