Author Topic: Butter - Refrigerated or on the Counter?  (Read 3945 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Butter - Refrigerated or on the Counter?
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »
How do you store your butter - refrigerated or in a container at room temp?

I don't use a ton of butter for "daily" stuff, so it has always been in the fridge and if I need some for baking or other cooking, I try to remember to put what I need on the counter the night before.

However, for those instance where I use butter for daily stuff, like on toast, even if it might only be once or twice a week, I get very frustrated with hard butter. After some reading on food safety, I'm looking at just keeping some small quantity on the counter at all times in a closed butter dish. Other than keeping track that it doesn't sit out more than a couple of weeks, I think I'm fine throwing a bit of unused butter away for the convenience of immediately spreadable butter.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Butter - Refrigerated or on the Counter?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:51:18 AM »
I used to keep my butter in the fridge until my wife convinced me to see the light.  We now keep a single stick on the counter in a covered glass butter dish.  We finish it up within a week or so.  It has never gone rancid, even in the summer.  I had earlier tried those containers in which you pack the butter inside of a bell, and store it upside down in a water seal or the like.  A big pain in the tuchis to soften the butter, pack it in the bell, and then when it gets warm, the butter falls out into the water.  It did not seem to extend the shelf life of the butter, so off to Goodwill it went.  We are happy with our covered glass stick holder on the counter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
I've done both over the years.

Never had a problem with leaving it out.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
Thanks for that info Millcreek - I was looking at those "water containers" but yeah, they seemed like more of a pain than rock hard butter. I just ordered a small crockery container to try.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »
I keep mine in the fridge.

If you want to solve the "rock hard butter" problem, it's pretty easy.

Take a pound of butter at chill room temperature and put it a mixing bowl (stand mixer with the whisk is better) then mix it on high for a few minutes. If it starts getting too loose and melty, throw it in the fridge for a few minutes and continue.

What you're trying to do is whip air into the butter. When it's lightened in color and looks "fluffy," gently scoop it into a container and put back in the fridge.

All the air that's whipped in makes it easier to get out of the container and spread even when it's cold.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
I just buy spreadable butter and keep it in the fridge. It's not 100% butter, but it tastes good enough for me. (My wife disagrees, but the children, like me, think it's great.)

Sticks of butter stay in the fridge.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »
One stick on the counter, rest is in the fridge.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »
Here's a recipe for spreadable butter using a light, non-flavored oil like avocado or grape seed.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/homemade-spreadable-butter/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »
One stick on the counter in a butter dish, the rest in the fridge. Used to use a butter bell but for some reason stopped and just went to the butter dish. If I am going to need some I try to remember to put it out to soften.

bob

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

This for years. Living in central Texas heat never a problem

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 03:11:44 PM »
One stick in a covered butter dish on the counter, the rest in the freezer or fridge.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 10:25:44 PM »
Same as the last few.  Make to keep the counter butter covered.  It will go 'stale', for lack of a better word, if you don't.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 11:39:10 PM »
I always operated as in my family: in the icebox and later, in the new-fangled refrigerator.  Spreading it never seemed to be a problem --maybe we just didn't know any better.

It wasn't until about 1987 when I dated a lady who kept it out all the time that I came across that idea.  I expressed my wonderment about that but didn't let it bother me.

I've said this before, might as well again.  I haven't had butter in the house for decades.  I substitute olive oil now, and lately even olive oil in a spray can, which works pretty good, but is not ideal.

My typical before bed snack is a slice of dark toast with olive oil sprayed on it, then some ginger and cinnamon sprinkled over it, and usually a bit of honey dribbled atop all that, finished off with a short glass of milk.

Terry, 230RN

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 12:50:06 AM »
If I couldn't eat butter anymore (shudder) I'd probably use schmaltz rather than a plant based oil.  Bacon drippings are great, but oftentimes you want a much more subtle flavor and the amount of solids from bacon is more of a bother that the little amount from rendering schmaltz.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 09:29:20 AM »

Same here.

I use salted butter for my toast, so I have no qualms about leaving it on the counter for extended periods.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
Here's a recipe for spreadable butter using a light, non-flavored oil like avocado or grape seed.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/homemade-spreadable-butter/

Will kerosene work?
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
Whatever is in use is in a butter container on the counter, bulk butter goes in the fridge- though not necessary, we go through butter so fast that it would never go bad.
Also condiments- ketchup, mustard stay out of the fridge.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »
Yeah, I like this "keeping some out" much better. I use the salted Kerrygold, which is too big for my butter dish, but cutting one in half works perfectly and keeps my bread in one piece.  :laugh: