Author Topic: Computer help.... hellllllp!  (Read 1006 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Computer help.... hellllllp!
« on: February 10, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »
A while back I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I wasn't too impressed so I went back. I then did some reading and went back to Win 10. A little over a week later I was looking at some media (pictures) and they are all write protected (read only). I can't share, can't print, can't even open some of them. I can't go back to Win 7 and I did do some registry editing I found while searching for the solution but that didn't fix it all. What the hell did Win 10 do to my media and how do I fix it? Ideas?

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Computer help.... hellllllp!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »
That's a bit odd

Right click on the folder containing the photos and select properties
What does it show for attributes? Make sure read only is not checked. If checked uncheck and click apply.
If that doesn't clear it up look under Security and see what does it show for allow
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:34:37 AM »
That's the strange part, everything (except Special Permissions) is allowed.

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:36:05 AM »
 Rights and attributes are different.  When you right-click can you just deselect the read-only box on the general tab?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
Sorry you beat me to my edit for checking the folder attributes. What does it show for the folder containing the photos?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:32 AM »

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
Thanks i will try those two things when I get back from the Dr. As much as I would prefer to work on this sometimes life gets in the way. :)

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
Files that are copied from a CD/DVD or other read-only media will automatically have read-only attributes.  You can also change the attributes of all the files in a folder by right-clicking on the folder itself, removing the read-only attribute, then choosing to "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
Files that are copied from a CD/DVD or other read-only media will automatically have read-only attributes.  You can also change the attributes of all the files in a folder by right-clicking on the folder itself, removing the read-only attribute, then choosing to "apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files."

I can do that and as soon as I close and reopen the properties box the Read Only is checked again.  ???

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
Things I would try, not necessarily in this order:

Make sure your account has full rights to the folder where the files are stored.  Take ownership of the folder.  Try changing the attributes at the file level.  There is an attrib command you can use from the command prompt, the syntax would be something like "attrib c:\users\<username>\pictures\*.* -r."  Type "attrib /?" for info on the various switches.  Maybe copy a file to a different folder to see if you get different results.  Try creating a file in the folder where the problematic files are and see if you can make changes to it.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 03:14:49 PM »
You mentioned that you couldn't open some of them.  But if all else fails, the ones you can open can be snagged by simply using the windows snipping tool.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
Were you able to get this worked out Bob?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
This had to take a lower priority for me. I changed the attributes and all seems fine, I will go in and take ownership of everything in the next few days. As of now I can open my pictures and do what I want with them so I may not poke the bear.

In other news my truck is firmly mated to my fifth wheel because of a glitch with the suspension (air) that is on it. I have spent the last few days working with the factory people to make it work so that has been taking up my time. I guess I will soon be seeing a factory team to come out and update the system and do whatever else they need to do. It is a new fangled air suspension for towed trailers and the landing gear over extended and locked up with too much upward pressure on the hitch. So I have been working on that. :(

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
Did you try rebooting the truck and/or trailer hitch? 

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
Did you try rebooting the truck and/or trailer hitch? 

What is sad is that is where things are headed. My new 5th wheel has a system that is "connected". I am not to sure of it. The app will occasionally possess my phone and I lose my display. Once I get out of range of the trailer the display wakes up. I will be talking to those people in the next day or so. As humans try to make things simpler and easier to use they are introducing glitches that make all of that work for nothing. It is the way of progress.

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2020, 12:41:15 PM »