Author Topic: 5WT-50 Motor Oil  (Read 865 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
5WT-50 Motor Oil
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:33:05 AM »
I didn't even know they made 5wt-50 oil. I kinda forgot to do the break-in oil change on my Polaris, so just yesterday got the manual out, and they call for 5wt-50 oil. In a few calls, couldn't find it locally except an the Polaris shop, where they sell TWO quarts for THIRTY bucks. What?!? I ended up ordering a 6qt case of Mobil 1 off Amazon for $45. Mine, and I guess most Polaris models take ~2 quarts.

I'm trying to figure out why Polaris calls for this oil, as from perusing forums, they seem to be the only ATV/UTV manufacturer that does. My Honda Rancher uses 10wt-40, or depending on climate, just like with cars you can use 5wt-30 or a couple of other ranges. The Polaris manual list 5wt-50 only, and doesn't even have a shared oil pan/transmission like my Honda does (which is a valid reason to use ATV formulated oil, a gallon of which is $25).

On a couple of the Polaris forums, a theory was that the engine design Polaris uses beats down viscosity, which is why the want the 50wt. Some guys were using synthetic 0wt-40, or just diesel oil like 5wt-40 Rotella. I only went to the 5wt-50 Mobil 1 because of the engine design theory (though I have no idea if that's true) and not wanting to take any chances until I can study further.

Still, it seems like an odd oil choice. One plausible theory I saw was that it's partially marketing. Since 5wt-50 is apparently hard to find in many locales, people will give up, go to the Polaris dealer, and pay $15/qt for their crappy oil.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: 5WT-50 Motor Oil
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
Does it have an oil pressure gauge? If not, get one. The standard for most engines is 10psi per 1K rpm. If it's higher than that with a lower weight oil you should be OK. I'd probably try switching to Rotella 5w40.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »
Does it have an oil pressure gauge? If not, get one. The standard for most engines is 10psi per 1K rpm. If it's higher than that with a lower weight oil you should be OK. I'd probably try switching to Rotella 5w40.

There's something missing from that guideline: the base oil pressure. There should be a specification for the idle oil pressure with the engine (amd oil) warmed up to operating temperature. For Jeeps, as an example, the idle oil pressure is 13 psi minimum at 600 RPM idle, and 37 to 75 psi at 1600 RPM. Most Jeep engines in decent condition idle at around 30 psi and run at 50 to 55 psi at highway speed (around 2,000 RPM, depending on gear ratio). The 10 pounds per 1000 RPM refers to how much the oil pressure should increase as the engine speeds up. 10 psi at idle isn't exactly zero, but it's lower than I would ever want to see.

5W50 was a viscosity that was readily available in Mobil-1 and Castrol Syntec. I used to buy it at Walmart. Then the auto makers started pushing multi-vis oils with zero for the first number, and 5W50 has largely been supplanted by 0W40. I haven't seen any 5W50 on the shelves anywhere for several years -- I'm hoarding the last couple of quarts I have for use as gun oil. I don't even know if they make it any longer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
Wow! The times, they are a-changin'. I just checked the Mobil-1 web site, and the only viscosities Mobil offers now are 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30. This is in keeping with the automakers push to use lighter oils, and I've read that this is supposedly a combination of wanting better fuel economy plus the theory that lighter-weight oils provide better lubrication during cold start-ups.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv?WT.ac=Home-T1_Truck_SUV_PDP

On the other hand, Castrol now offers Castrol Edge in a plethora of viscosities:

• 0W20
  • 0W30
  • 0W40
  • 5W20
  • 5W30
  • 5W40
  • 5W50
  • 10W30
  • 10W40

Some of the above are also available in diesel grades. (Unfortunately, Walmart doesn't carry the ones I'm most interested in.)

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/home/motor-oil-and-fluids/engine-oils/motor-engine-oil-brands/castrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 01:41:34 PM »
Wow! The times, they are a-changin'. I just checked the Mobil-1 web site, and the only viscosities Mobil offers now are 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30. This is in keeping with the automakers push to use lighter oils, and I've read that this is supposedly a combination of wanting better fuel economy plus the theory that lighter-weight oils provide better lubrication during cold start-ups.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv?WT.ac=Home-T1_Truck_SUV_PDP

They still make them available, they just changed the marketing:

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs#5W-50

This is what I use in my Suzuki SV1000S
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
I don't even know if they make it any longer.

They do. As I mentioned in the OP, I ordered some off Amazon. About $10 more for the case than I pay for 5wt-30 at the Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
Read this

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3662936/all/Polaris_Oil_Alternative

Thanks, yeah that's one of the ones I was reading yesterday and one of the reasons I'm doing the Mobil 1 5wt-50 for now.