Author Topic: Let the farting begin!  (Read 3593 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Let the farting begin!
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »
Growing up in Central Pennsylvania you see a lot of Central European traditional food along with the German-influenced foods.

One of my favorites has always been cabbage rolls, or Golabki (Polish) or Halupki (Austro Hungarian). But, they're a huge pain in the ass to make.

But don't worry, there's a casserole for that! All of the flavor of traditional cabbage rolls with none of the tedious peeling leaves from the cabbage head and wrapping the filling.

I've made this a couple of times in the past, but haven't made it recently. It's going to be cold and raw here this weekend, so I think it's a good time to give it a go. I use ground turkey instead of beef or pork which is most common, and normally use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella.

https://www.smalltownwoman.com/cabbage-roll-casserole/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: Let the farting begin!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Cabbage rolls or casserole are just delightful cold weather food.

I have nothing of value to add to this thread,  just gut rumbles from reading the description.  Yum.   Hope yours are great.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
A couple of years ago I made it for my Mom and my brother and SIL stopped by. My brother is not a big casserole fan, but this he went nuts over. Went back 3 or 4 times.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:44 AM »
I wish my wife would eat this, I know I would Houdini it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »
Growing up the galumpki that grandma made didn't feature a red sauce. Neither did my mothers.

After my parents divorced my mother started using a tomato sauce.

Maybe grandpa didn't care for the tomato sauce so dad didn't like it either.

Anyway, galumpki made with just a beef gravy is very yummy also.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
I've heard of the beef gravy cabbage rolls, but I've never seen them.

The alternative I've had, though, and it's freaking awesome?

Cabbage rolls in sour cream sauce.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »
OK, finally got around to making this again.

I pulled a recipe from Taste of Home as a guide to ingredients, but not quantities. I played around with those as I felt necessary.

I also parboiled the cabbage for about 2 minutes to make sure that it would properly cook in the casserole.

Finally, I used a combination of Colby & Monterrey Jack cheese instead of Mozzarella. Turned out VERY VERY good, but the spice balances are a bit off. I'll need to mess with them some.