Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 446059 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #5150 on: April 13, 2021, 03:22:02 PM »
Guess who got the J&J shot? Me! Happily, no issues to report... yet :old: :facepalm: [tinfoil]

Anyone hear a loud thump?

Ah hell, Hero Hog's bleeding like a stuck Charby...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5151 on: April 13, 2021, 10:46:29 PM »
About that J&J vaccine problem with the blood clots: - - - Put everyone on blood thinners! Create a problem, follow up with the cure, double your money! :facepalm:

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him ...  :old:

Woody

A doctor appearing on Fox's  TUCKER CARLSON  stated that he believed very strongly in these vaccines but thinks that they're being dispensed in a somewhat irresponsible manner.   The basic thing he said,  is that if you've had THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN ---OOOOOPS, Covid 19 you have antibodies and should not take the vaccines as that's what he thinks is likely the cause of these blood related problems.

The problem is in people who have had asymptomatic covid 19.  They have the antibodies and that's what the vaccines interfere with,  but if one has had it asymptomatic,  one likely thinks they need the vaccines.    I suppose that either one ought to be very sure one hasn't had the  disease or be tested for antibodies first.

Typically,  people who survive the disease aren't vaccinated for it ...... but it seems this is being ignored.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5152 on: April 14, 2021, 04:03:44 AM »
People who survive flu still get the flu vaccine.

I heard that all 6 of the thrombosis victims were women, and sone people suspect a link with hormones or contraceptives.

France suspended J&J this week basically on it's launch day there. I got the J&J a few weeks ago but I feel fine.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5153 on: April 14, 2021, 10:19:40 AM »
People who survive flu still get the flu vaccine.

I heard that all 6 of the thrombosis victims were women, and sone people suspect a link with hormones or contraceptives.

France suspended J&J this week basically on it's launch day there. I got the J&J a few weeks ago but I feel fine.

The flu changes every year,  necessitating a new vaccine .    Polio  did not. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5154 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Speaking of The Andromeda Strain, I just finished reading it for the first time.

wow. Crappy book from a guy who would later write some really good books.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5155 on: April 14, 2021, 07:46:55 PM »
Speaking of The Andromeda Strain, I just finished reading it for the first time.

:O  I thought it was a pretty good book.   In 2019 a sequel was written called THE ANDROMEDA EVOLUTION.    It was a very good follow up to Crighton's 1969 novel .... in fact one of the original characters reappeared in this book. 

But,  since you disdain it,  I won't tempt you with juicy morsels found within .... like why Apollo 18 was cancelled .... >:D

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5156 on: April 14, 2021, 09:47:40 PM »
Here's a couple of covid things. One dumb, one a little infuriating.

Apparently when you hold a graveside funeral in CA, "because of covid" they will neither provide chairs nor a canopy. You are allowed to bring your own chairs for handicapped people, but are only allowed to use sun umbrellas. Also, since they keep the casket rigged on some kind of skids for lowering into the grave, they usually cover that lumber on the bottom with artificial grass so it blends in to the lawn. This is not allowed during covid in CA. The bare lumber must not be covered. Also, "because of covid", the cemetery closes at 3PM.

Also, beginning 20JAN (what happened then?) the fed.gov, via FEMA, will cover your funeral expenses if a cause of death was listed as "covid". The "Presidential" coffin seems to be quite popular right now.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5157 on: April 14, 2021, 09:53:53 PM »

Not one of Crichton's best.  A better commentary on now would be State of Fear. 

The badguys even drive Priuses (pri-i?) :cool:

* I thought Sphere and Eaters of the dead were really good too.  Jurassic Park goes without saying.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5158 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:55 PM »
Not one of Crichton's best.  A better commentary on now would be State of Fear. 

I've not read it, but Fear (yes, with a capital F) seems to be the leitmotif for at least the past 5 years, and really amped up in 2020. The Left was in Full Scaremonger Mode ever since Trump was nominated, even dredging up a term as quaint and irrelevant as "white supremacy." We all know how that was turned up to 11 last year, and then the never-ending terror of the China virus (and now anti-Asian terrorism). Yay.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5159 on: April 14, 2021, 10:04:18 PM »
I've not read it, but Fear (yes, with a capital F) seems to be the leitmotif for at least the past 5 years, and really amped up in 2020. The Left was in Full Scaremonger Mode ever since Trump was nominated, even dredging up a term as quaint and irrelevant as "white supremacy." We all know how that was turned up to 11 last year, and then the never-ending terror of the China virus (and now anti-Asian terrorism). Yay.

Worth a read if you have time  for it.  Not quite as good as Rainbow Six for portraying Eco terrorists as vermin needing shot in the face, but still an entertaining read.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5160 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:08 AM »
"But,  since you disdain it"

Never said I disdain it. I said it was a crappy first novel from a guy who would later write some really good novels. OK, maybe not crappy, but not really indicative at all of what was to come later. If someone gave me Andromeda Strain and, say, Sphere, to read back to back I would NEVER guess that they were by the same author.

The plot was very fractured and in a couple of places just didn't make much sense. Plot paths that were laid out simply stalled.

Congo, Sphere, Timeline, and others were a LOT better and a lot more tightly crafted. I especially liked Timeline.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5161 on: April 15, 2021, 10:19:16 AM »
I remember Timeline being a surprisingly fun read.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5162 on: April 15, 2021, 10:39:57 AM »
"But,  since you disdain it"

Never said I disdain it. I said it was a crappy first novel from a guy who would later write some really good novels. OK, maybe not crappy, but not really indicative at all of what was to come later. If someone gave me Andromeda Strain and, say, Sphere, to read back to back I would NEVER guess that they were by the same author.

The plot was very fractured and in a couple of places just didn't make much sense. Plot paths that were laid out simply stalled.

Congo, Sphere, Timeline, and others were a LOT better and a lot more tightly crafted. I especially liked Timeline.

Well,  IIRC  THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN was Crighten's first novel.  That it might not be as good as later novels is certainly understandable and to be expected. I don't believe the plot was very fractured, really. 

I read SPHERE  years ago and I don't believe I could even recap the storyline now.  I've never read TIMELINE and will have to obtain a copy of it.

I really liked his JURASSIC PARK novels.  One of my "guilty pleasures"  is dinosaur movies,  even really crappy, low budget stuff;  it's just fun rainy afternoon entertainment,  so naturally,  I greatly enjoy both Crighten's Dino novels as well as all the movies.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5163 on: April 15, 2021, 10:47:19 AM »
I think I've read Timeline 3 or 4 times I like it that much.

The 2003 movie adaptation?

Absolutely atrocious.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5164 on: April 15, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »
Avoid the red states
If you're that stupid I say good, stay out!

Cenk Uygur
@cenkuygur
Now people are saying they won't travel to red states because it's a danger to be around conservatives. Nearly half of Republicans say they won't take the vaccine. It's literally hazardous to your health to be around this death cult. Their ignorance has reached a clinical level.
4:43 PM · Apr 14, 2021

The voices in Cenk Uygur’s head are telling him ‘people’ are avoiding red states because Republicans and conservatives are a COVID19 ‘death cult’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/04/15/the-voices-in-cenk-uygurs-head-are-telling-him-people-are-avoiding-red-states-because-republicans-and-conservatives-are-a-covid19-death-cult/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5165 on: April 15, 2021, 12:05:02 PM »
Avoid the red states

The voices in Cenk Uygur’s head are telling him ‘people’ are avoiding red states because Republicans and conservatives are a COVID19 ‘death cult’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/04/15/the-voices-in-cenk-uygurs-head-are-telling-him-people-are-avoiding-red-states-because-republicans-and-conservatives-are-a-covid19-death-cult/

This guy is an idiot. We're getting swarmed by blue state telecommuters.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5166 on: April 15, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »
Avoid the red states

Newsflash to Cenk Uygur:  I am a conservative.  I just took #2 Phizer covid-19 vaccine shot yesterday.

P. S. Herr Uygur:  another morsel of agony for you to chew on:  I OWN LOTS OF GUNS!!!!! >:D [popcorn]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5167 on: April 15, 2021, 07:14:57 PM »
---------------------
P R O G R E S S  !

I noticed they just removed all the 6-foot social distancing floor stickies at my local King Soopers (Kroger, City Market) checkout lines.

The County now allows you to not wear a mask outdoors if you're not in a social gathering.
----------------------
S H A M E !

A local Burger KIng now has the dining room open, but some bizarro line regulations with taped "barricades" guiding "them" (meaning me and thee) around in a safe manner.  What irks me off is that the entry way is by the handicapped pakrking, but that's not the exit door they want everybody to go out of.  That door is all the way to hell and gone on the other side of the building.  I said pisonit and me and my trusty cane exited by the "Entrance Only" doors near where I handicapped-parked.

I'm a ba-a-a-a-a-d widdle boy.

But it was funny to see all the rigamarole.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5168 on: April 15, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »
Who eats at Burger King?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5169 on: April 15, 2021, 07:32:01 PM »
Who eats at Burger King?

Me eats at Burger King, that's whom.  My actual favorite is Wendy's, but it's a trifle out of my usual erranding route.  Burger King has a pretty good little side salad which helps me to meet my Green Leafy Food intake minimum daily requirement.

Jeeze, and they accuse me of starting thread drifts.  Sheeesh !

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5170 on: April 15, 2021, 07:40:59 PM »

Jeeze, and they accuse me of starting thread drifts.  Sheeesh !

This thread has drifted across 6 lanes of traffic and back again from time to time.   :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5171 on: April 15, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »

This guy is an idiot. We're getting swarmed by blue state telecommuters.

Ditto for Texas.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5172 on: April 15, 2021, 07:51:28 PM »
A new BK opened next to the local Walmart a couple weeks ago.  DW & I stopped on the way home the other day - reminded me why it'd been uncountable years since I'd last eaten at BK.

I too prefer Wendy's, I was getting a triple burger there before they added it to the menu.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5173 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:42 PM »
Newsflash to Cenk Uygur:  I am a conservative.  I just took #2 Phizer covid-19 vaccine shot yesterday.

P. S. Herr Uygur:  another morsel of agony for you to chew on:  I OWN LOTS OF GUNS!!!!! >:D [popcorn]

Me, too.  The funny thing about his red state supposition is that it's the exact opposite of what one would expect, from what little I know about this stuff.

After all, blue states are characterized by high population density, red states are just the opposite.  And what is one of the major components of disease transmission?  You guessed it, proximity of person to person... in other words, population density.

Nyah-nyah on you, Cenk Uygur !  At least, that's what the voices in my head are saying.

[popcorn]

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:43:57 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5174 on: April 15, 2021, 09:19:48 PM »
Avoid the red states

Cenk just needs something to replace the failed narrative of a Texas Covid-pocalypse. So he's made something up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife