Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440517 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6000 on: September 15, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6001 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:08 PM »
Kroger had a sign requiring masks.
Maybe 60-70% of people had masks on.
Saw a bunch of nurses, not one wearing a mask.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6002 on: September 15, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/landlord-says-tenants-must-get-covid-vaccine-you-dont-want-to-get-vaccinated-you-have-to-move/

This is the first I have heard of having to get vaccinated to get or keep your apartment.

Sounds like a landlord is about to lose his apartments in a lawsuit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6003 on: September 15, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
Sounds like a landlord is about to lose his apartments in a lawsuit.

Or slapped down by the government. Violating rights is reserved for the government.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6004 on: September 15, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Or slapped down by the government. Violating rights is reserved for the government.

What rights would those be again?

The landlord is not evicting people, they are declining to sign new leases with unvaccinated people.

FL Fair housing laws prevent "Refusal to rent or sell housing based on race, color, national origin, sex, handicap, familial status, or religion."  Unless the tenant is claiming a religious exemption, the landlord is within the law.

We are still the side that is against using the government to coerce private citizens into doing business with people they don't want to, right?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6005 on: September 15, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »
Does Hippa apply here or not? I'm seriously asking
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6006 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:58 PM »
Does Hippa apply here or not? I'm seriously asking

It does not, says the guy who does HIPAA for a living.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6007 on: September 15, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Does Hippa [sic] apply here or not?

Not really.  HIPAA has to do with secure handling of private health information by medical providers, insurance companies, and their (both groups') IT subcontractors.  The IT companies are really covered in a separate bill called (groan) HITECH, but really it just adds them under the HIPAA umbrella so it's easiest to refer to both as HIPAA.

My work sometimes falls under HITECH, and it's a pain in the ass.  Doesn't really add any security that I can see, just makes it hard to access the data I need.  We used to do just fine with non-disclosure agreements and being careful with any sensitive data.  Now, all data from some customers is considered sensitive whether it really is or not (even if the customer says it's not) and is kept on secure servers where I don't have the right tools to analyze it
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6008 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »
HIPPA, HIPAA  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6009 on: September 15, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »
HIPPA, HIPAA  :P

ETA: You like potato, and I like potatoe   :rofl:

♪ "Let's call the whole thing off" ♫  (sorry)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 02:06:42 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6010 on: September 15, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »

We are still the side that is against using the government to coerce private citizens into doing business with people they don't want to, right?

As long as it's applied equally and fairly. So no baking the cake, and nobody with a BLM or antifa tattoo allowed in any of my rentals (if I still had some). But we know that the cake must be baked, and that a landlord would be sued by NAACP, SPLC and whoever else for refusing rental to the parties mentioned, even though nothing in the law prohibits him from doing so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6011 on: September 15, 2021, 01:53:33 PM »
So they do it, then we do it, then they don't like something we do, so they get worse, then we get worse in a descending spiral?  (I mean, in your defense, that's clearly what does, in fact, happen)

I do my best to base my actions and responses on my principals, not other peoples actions.  I am not perfect at it, but that's the goal.   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6012 on: September 15, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »
So they do it, then we do it, then they don't like something we do, so they get worse, then we get worse in a descending spiral?  (I mean, in your defense, that's clearly what does, in fact, happen)

I do my best to base my actions and responses on my principals, not other peoples actions.  I am not perfect at it, but that's the goal.

Understood. And yeah, in theory I'm against the spiral, but "our side", that is, the freedom and free market side, seems to always be on the losing end on these things, and sometimes I just want vengeance, even though I know I'm playing their game.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6013 on: September 15, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
Fascinating and long read, an interview with the guy that set Frances vaccine policy for years.

https://www.ukcolumn.org/video/frances-long-time-vaccine-policy-chief-covid-policy-is-completely-stupid-and-unethical
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6014 on: September 15, 2021, 05:18:14 PM »
Gotta wonder about how the .gov wants to mandate that everyone carry around a card that a first year graphic design student could produce on the first day of class...
Blog under construction

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6015 on: September 15, 2021, 06:29:21 PM »
It does not, says the guy who does HIPAA for a living.

Privacy Act of 1974 perhaps?  It covers stuff HIPAA doesn't, like your tax records.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6016 on: September 15, 2021, 07:49:19 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6017 on: September 15, 2021, 09:01:54 PM »
Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

JTHunter

• friends
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6021 on: September 16, 2021, 09:34:43 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/u-s-will-require-most-new-immigrants-to-get-coronavirus-vaccine/

Immigrants to the US required to be vaccinated.

I can't tell for sure from the article, but it sounds like that's a requirement for the people legally standing in line, and not the illegals being processed through the Southern border?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6022 on: September 16, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
I can't tell for sure from the article, but it sounds like that's a requirement for the people legally standing in line, and not the illegals being processed through the Southern border?
That’s correct. Next question?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6023 on: September 16, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
That’s correct. Next question?

Good one.

:rofl:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6024 on: September 16, 2021, 12:47:46 PM »